US Divers Conshelf SE2 Question

Need advice on recreational gear configurations? Look no further than this equipment forum.
Samson

US Divers Conshelf SE2 Question

Post by Samson »

Has anyone had experience with the US Divers Conshelf SE2 Regulators? Are they a quality reg?

Any info would be appreciated...

Samson-
Alex
Aquaphile

Re: US Divers Conshelf SE2 Question

Post by Alex »

Aren't these from like 1989? Are you trying to buy a used one on eBay or something?
Samson

Post by Samson »

There are several available... I dont know anything about them.....hence the question.....
Sounder
I've Got Gills

Post by Sounder »

Well, it seems they're not in high demand. I've never heard of them.

One piece of advice... if you're buying gear and trying to save money, DO NOT skimp or shave dollars on life support. Dude, by cheap fins, an even cheaper snorkel, and a couple used retractors if you're looking to save money... but NEVER skimp on your life support.

Remember... you're never more than ONE breath away from drowning.
GUE Seattle - The official GUE Affiliate in the Northwest!
Nwbrewer
I've Got Gills

Post by Nwbrewer »

All the conshelf regs are basically the same inside. I think the SE3 can be converted to DIN, which around here is important. (HP steel tanks) If it's been maintained and not abused, there's absolutely nothing wrong with them. AL still makes the parts kits for them, so that shoudn't be an issue. They have a really nice low WOB, the navy used them for a long time (still are?)

I have a USD pro diver, basically the same reg, breathed great down to 90fsw (deepest I took it). I bought a new 1st stage because I wanted DIN, but I still use the second stages off of it.

Does it breathe as well as my buddies, apex, AL Legend, or Atomics? No, but it breathe's pretty well at recreational depths, and I really don't have any issues breathing off of it. Would I use one for tech diving? Probably not, but anybody going that route isn't goign to sweat the couple of hunderd bucks that newer regs are going to set them back.

I agree with Doug, scrimping on life support is not a good idea, but I don't associate scrimping with buying used gear. IMHO there is nothing wrong with picking up a used reg that's in good shape, and has been serviced. After that first dive all gear is used. Regs are basically a machined chunk of brass plated in chrome. As long as they haven't been corroded inside, a servicing by a qualified tech should have them good as new. I would say that NOT having them serviced would be scrimping, and NOT a good idea.

Jake
Samson

Post by Samson »

Thanks for the advice guys,.... Anything I buy will definatly be serviced......
Sounder
I've Got Gills

Post by Sounder »

Samson wrote:Thanks for the advice guys,.... Anything I buy will definatly be serviced......
Be sure you are positive that your shop can service them before you buy them too. Nothing like buying used and learning nobody can service them... Dacor is a big offender here.
GUE Seattle - The official GUE Affiliate in the Northwest!
Nwbrewer
I've Got Gills

Post by Nwbrewer »

Yeah, older Dacor's can be had cheap for good reason. Romer Treece will know for sure I think, but I've been told that the Titan has basically the same innards as the conshelf, so kits should not be a problem for them anytime soon. Posidens can be problematic to get serviced also.
60south
Pelagic

Post by 60south »

If you buy an SE-2... These are very reliable so long as they get serviced.

Check for cracks in the 2nd stage housing, around where the hose enters. I still use one of these as an octo; my beloved primary cracked last year...

glenn
Last edited by 60south on Thu Oct 09, 2008 9:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
nice-diver
Compulsive Diver

Post by nice-diver »

most of my regulators are SE2's. I love them.

I just had a pair DIN'd and environmentalised.
i flickr
http://www.flickr.com/photos/nice-diver/

Give a man a fire and he's warm for the day. But set fire to him and he's warm for the rest of his life

People are more violently opposed to fur than leather, because it's easier to harrass rich women than motorcycle gangs!