Spear Fishing?

General banter about diving and why we love it.
Alex
Aquaphile

Spear Fishing?

Post by Alex »

Anyone here into that at all? If at all possible I'd liketo tag along and watch.

:smt064
smike
Extreme Diving Machine

Re: Spear Fishing?

Post by smike »

That SICK!

btw, I shoot little fishes all the time..

Mike
Behold, the King reigns! You are his publicity agents. Therefore advertise, advertise, advertise, the King and his kingdom.
whatevah
Aquanaut

Post by whatevah »

I spearfish - mostly around the San Juans. There is a short season for Lingcod which is in late spring - right now there is not much going on unless you want to target Kelp Greenling, Rock Sole or Starry Flounder (all quite tasty actually). During the season I make special outings to hunt Lingcod, but the others I only take coincidentally (when I'm out diving for photography, exploration or surveying and I feel like some fresh fish for dinner). You'll likely find more opportunities to tag along and observe during the Lingcod season.
“When one tugs at a single thing in nature, he finds it attached to the rest of the world.” -- John Muir
sheahanmcculla
I've Got Gills

Post by sheahanmcculla »

Your pretty brave to ask that question on this site. Most people will try to tell you how wrong it is...

So anyways I hope you get into it and post some videos or pictures, some of us would love to see them. happy hunting!
spatman
I've Got Gills

Post by spatman »

sheahanmcculla wrote:Your pretty brave to ask that question on this site. Most people will try to tell you how wrong it is...
really? i've been reading this site for well over a year now and i haven't seen anyone bashed for wanting to go spearfishing legally.
Tom Nic
I've Got Gills

Post by Tom Nic »

spatman wrote:
sheahanmcculla wrote:Your pretty brave to ask that question on this site. Most people will try to tell you how wrong it is...
really? i've been reading this site for well over a year now and i haven't seen anyone bashed for wanting to go spearfishing legally.
As with most things you'll always find a "for it or agin' it or in between group" pretty well represented here. Usually all are respectful...

There certainly is no official anti-harvesting stance on this site that I'm aware of (as a moderator). I've never spearfished, though I certainly would like to, but not enough to invest the time and scuba units. 95% of the time I would rather shoot the Ling with a camera than a speargun. I think most who do spearfish do so somewhat quietly, and do so in areas that are not regular shore dive sites that are heavily frequented by the bulk of shore dives in the area. I would never fish from one of those well known and used dive sites. Why lessen enjoyment for myself and others? Showing up at Cove 2 or Les Davis or 3Tree with a speargun might get you some funny looks and interesting conversations. :axe: Rumors of trolling boards to find out where GPO's are for harvest purposes, and doing illegal harvesting will be certainly be looked down on and confronted.

And most PNW divers don't like to hear about octopus dragged out of their dens to "play" or squirted with irritants to see them come out. There is a pretty uniform sentiment of a "don't touch" nature, as in "take only pictures leave only bubbles". Harassing wildlife is bad form.

As a life long hunter and fisherman I am more aware of what I call "slob hunters" than most. (And I'm also very aware of the vocal anti-hunting voices.) I suppose that there are "slob divers" as well, but hopefully those attitudes and practices are decreasing. Also, if you are a successful hunter you know that most hunters guard their "secret spots" and techniques pretty closely, don't broadcast them, and choose their buddies carefully. If you're lucky enough to know someone and be welcomed along it's a privilege.

Anyway, after that long ramble I'm kind of hungry... mmmm... Ling Cod!
More Pics Than You Have Time To Look AT
"Anyone who thinks this place is over moderated is bat-crazy anarchist." -Ben, Airsix
"Warning: No dive masters are going to be there, Just a bunch of old fat guys taking pictures of fish." -Bassman
Maverick
I've Got Gills

Post by Maverick »

mmmm ling, i still have some vacuumed in the freezer. I love to hunt Ling, but you have to be very picky underwater. you don't want the monsters because thye are the breeding females and their meat is also not as tastey as the youngsters. Alex spearfishing is something to work up to, you have to scout to find them in the off season and find places where there are many and not many divers, they will look at you funny if they see you come out of the water with dinner. I have a few spots that i like to fish and have had very good luck too. Long swims shallow dives and great fun, plus good eats. buy a gun and get a stringer, looks like a giant paperclip, and thats a start. pick your buddies wisely thought, the last thing you want to happen is when you show up to your favoite spot and there are six other divers in the water spearing your fish. it happens and happens alot.
Maverick

Diving. . . is an active physical form of meditation. It is so silent- You're like a thought.

SOME PEOPLE ARE LIKE SLINKIES. NOT REALLY GOOD FOR
ANYTHING, BUT THEY BRING A SMILE TO YOUR FACE WHEN PUSHED DOWN THE
STAIRS.
Sounder
I've Got Gills

Post by Sounder »

I think lings are tasty and I don't have a problem with people hunting them, or other fish/inverts legally and responsibly. I'm not going to broadcast the location of octopus to make it easier for someone, but the rules are there and so long as it is done responsibly and legally, I have no problem with it.

A note on lings - don't take the largest one you can find. Some folks and even some contests look for the biggest fish... I don't believe that this isn't the best idea. The meat from a large fish isn't nearly as good and they'll have lots of worms in it. Additionally, the big ones are the "breeders" so for sustainability, I avoid them. A younger 24"-36" long one is much more desirable. Also, go with an experienced hunter - the worst thing is shooting a fish that gets away to go off and die somewhere. An experienced hunter can give you pointers on how to be skilled in your hunt.
GUE Seattle - The official GUE Affiliate in the Northwest!
Samson

Post by Samson »

Hey Alex,...

I will be certified (legally) :) here in a few weeks. I have done some spearfishing in Mexico and would love to get into it here in the NW. If your up to making some new dive buddies and doing some exploring for good (non-divesite) hunting grounds, drop me a line......I have a yacht and will be diving regularly from it. Always looking for company.....

Samson-
AB219
Aquaphile

Post by AB219 »

Yacht....... bring it down to Oregon for some great spearfishing....

g
Let's Go Diving at:
A) Oregon coast
B) Fort Bragg California
C) Monterey California
D) Puget Sound Washington

"It's not about the dive, but the journey taken."
Alex
Aquaphile

Post by Alex »

Well the two nesting octos at Seactrest look delicious! ...Also I've found a bunch of Ling at EUP :axe:
H20doctor
I've Got Gills

Post by H20doctor »

I have a gun... 38 JBL special.. Is a great gun and it kills dem fishies good.. As for edmonds Alex you can't hunt there its a protected marine sanctuary.. The only thing open right now is flounder.. Perch.. And some other stuff.. Spear hunting is a blast and its deff fun getting a big kill and fighting the beast on the line..
NWDC Rule #2 Pictures Or it didn't Happen
Alex
Aquaphile

Post by Alex »

H20doctor wrote:I have a gun... 38 JBL special.. Is a great gun and it kills dem fishies good.. As for edmonds Alex you can't hunt there its a protected marine sanctuary.. The only thing open right now is flounder.. Perch.. And some other stuff.. Spear hunting is a blast and its deff fun getting a big kill and fighting the beast on the line..
lol I know I was kidding...