Liquivision X1 Battery Question...

General topics about technical diving.
Sounder
I've Got Gills

Liquivision X1 Battery Question...

Post by Sounder »

I'm the marketing director for Liquivision Products, Inc. The following is a question raised in another thread about the Liquivision X1...
narcosis Junky wrote:I would jump on the X1 hands down if the battery wasn't an issue. But when the battery dies, there goes the $1800. It's a lot of money for a throw away dive computer. Now if the company gave a life time battery replacement like uwatech does for there computers, then I wouldn't have a problem. I love everything about the X1. specially the V-planner. But ](*,) the battery thing is an issue. Or a design were we can replace the battery our selfves like the VR3.
Background: The X1 technical dive computer is constructed of an aluminum casing with the internal components completely potted in a semi-rigid epoxy. This means there are no o-rings in the unit to fail - there is no air space to flood or compress... it'd be like trying to flood a rock. It's a solid mass - this is one of the many fantastic features of the X1. At DEMA people were thoroughly impressed as we tossed X1's into the air to allow them to slam into the floor. The potting process protects the internals from vibration damage which is why I can toss it up in the air and have it land on the trade show's thin carpet over concrete without causing any damage to the unit. Doing it at a dive site will likely scratch the aluminum casing, but if you'd like to see me do it, I'll be happy to toss my personal unit around the parking lot for anyone to witness.

Battery Question Answer: The X1 is powered by a Lithium-polymer battery which is fully potted in the epoxy. It is manufacturer replaced. The X1 has a 3-year warranty on battery replacement, and the battery has a 10 year life. If the battery fails after the warranty, the cost is $400 for the replacement. For information, Liquvision isn't doing many battery replacements or other repairs. We asked our owners what warranty they wanted on their batteries and they let us know... then we put it in place. Our repair/replacement rate did not increase when we increased the warranty.

Comparison to the VR3 and VRx: The VR3 has a user-replaceable battery. At DEMA 2008, I attended the VR3 dealer school. One of their lead sales reps shared a tip with the dealers that they should sell extra batteries to their customers as a point of additional profit. He did mention to be sure that when you're selling the 3.6v batteries, that they remove the external covering on the battery so that it would fit in the VR3... he said that if they fail to remove the external covering, that the battery would have the tendancy to cause a "re-boot" of the computer underwater, during a dive.

Another point of additional profit for the dealer was the sale of the VR3 "Spares Kit" which, and I quote from the sales rep leading the dealer school, "...has everything in it the diver can, and will, break while they're using their VR3. It has extra buttons, case pieces, o-rings, etc." The "spares kit" was the first line-item in the "how to increase your profit" portion of the dealer school.

Liquivision does not make a "spares kit" for the X1 nor will the X1 re-boot on you without you purposefully "resetting it."

The next generation of the VR3 (called the VRx, introduced at DEMA) has a non-user-replaceable battery as well. This does not make either computer, the VRx or the X1, a disposable dive computer.
GUE Seattle - The official GUE Affiliate in the Northwest!
John Rawlings
I've Got Gills

Re: Liquivision X1 Battery Question...

Post by John Rawlings »

Sounder wrote: Comparison to the VR3 and VRx: The VR3 has a user-replaceable battery. At DEMA 2008, I attended the VR3 dealer school. One of their lead sales reps shared a tip with the dealers that they should sell extra batteries to their customers as a point of additional profit. He did mention to be sure that when you're selling the 3.6v batteries, that they remove the external covering on the battery so that it would fit in the VR3... he said that if they fail to remove the external covering, that the battery would have the tendancy to cause a "re-boot" of the computer underwater, during a dive.
Doug, you have a great product on your hands. =D> However, your statement about the "VR3 battery" isn't completely correct. Any AA battery will work in a VR3. The one you probably heard referrred to at the seminar was the "super-dooper-party-pooper" version that every darn manufacturer of battery-powered equipment seems to have and "recommend" for use in their product due to supposed "longer life".

Here's what the Delta-P website says about the battery: "We recommend using a high capacity Saft Lithium 3.6V battery as offering the longest life in the widest range of conditions with your VR3, but any disposable Alkaline, Lithium or even rechargeable AA size battery between 1.5 and 3.6 volts will work in a pinch. Because of variations among battery manufacturers, many AA size batteries are a tight fit inside the battery cap of some VR3s, causing power related problems. Stripping the plastic cover from the negative end of these slightly larger AA batteries solves the problem."

"in a pinch".....NOT! Everyone I know that uses a VR3 uses a simple AA that you can pick up at any Safeway or Albertson's. Like I said, the Liquivision X1 computer looks like an absolutely great product....simple to operate, small, unique and innovative. However, regarding your comments on the batteries for the VR3 - that's really a non-issue.

I look forward to seeing more reports of the Liquivision X1 in action, as well as new developments in how they interact with individual CCR units. :salute:

- John
“Don’t pick a fight with an old man. If he is too old to fight, he’ll just kill you.”

http://www.advanceddivermagazine.com
http://johnrawlings.smugmug.com/
Sounder
I've Got Gills

Post by Sounder »

Thanks John, I'm glad to hear it isn't a common issue. The specific 3.6v battery they were referring to was all they covered in the dealer school and it was what they were recommending. Thanks for clairifying about the AA batteries - it's important to me to have the whole story.

As for your question regarding incorporating it into your equipment... I'm working on it. In the meantime, I'll have one for you to try soon (without the CCR interface).
Grateful Diver
I've Got Gills

Post by Grateful Diver »

You mean you're supposed to CHARGE the battery in the X1?

Gee ... I just figured they were disposable, and tossed mine when the display died ... #-o

... Bob (Grateful Diver)
Threats and ultimatums are never the best answer. Public humiliation via Photoshop is always better - airsix

Come visit me at http://www.nwgratefuldiver.com/
John Rawlings
I've Got Gills

Post by John Rawlings »

:laughing3:

Geez, Bob! Wassamatta with you? You're supposed to be "green" and turn it in to an official battery recycling center! [-X Give it to me....I'll be happy to take it in for you!

- John
“Don’t pick a fight with an old man. If he is too old to fight, he’ll just kill you.”

http://www.advanceddivermagazine.com
http://johnrawlings.smugmug.com/
Diver_C
Amphibian

Post by Diver_C »

If I were an X1 owner and asked how long the warranty should be I'd say 10 years, since that is the expected life of the battery, not a relatively paltry 3 years. But alas, I'm one those that needs to buy an AA battery once in awhile for their VR3. Fyi, can get those hi-capacity 3.6v batteries at Radio Shack. They last a long time, but not always convenient to purchase. Regular AAs last quite awhile too!
Sounder wrote:The X1 has a 3-year warranty on battery replacement, and the battery has a 10 year life. If the battery fails after the warranty, the cost is $400 for the replacement. For information, Liquvision isn't doing many battery replacements or other repairs. We asked our owners what warranty they wanted on their batteries and they let us know...
Dmitchell
Perma Narc'd

Post by Dmitchell »

If I was in the market for a dive computer right now, it would be a really tough decision. I played with what I consider the be the "cool 3" at DEMA (X1, Pursuit, and VRX). All of them have individual things I like and don't like about them but I'd dive any of them!

Dave
Dave Mitchell
Sounder
I've Got Gills

Post by Sounder »

Dmitchell wrote:If I was in the market for a dive computer right now, it would be a really tough decision. I played with what I consider the be the "cool 3" at DEMA (X1, Pursuit, and VRX). All of them have individual things I like and don't like about them but I'd dive any of them!

Dave
You in the marketing to be a dealer?? \:D/

BTW - I got the package. Thanks! They'll be perfect for Dylan to help Daddy rinse gear in the winter!!
Dmitchell
Perma Narc'd

Post by Dmitchell »

Maybe! Send me an info packet and I'll look it over.

I assume that you were the one without the badge on. When we went by to see if you were there, I couldn't get within 20' of the booth it was so crowded!

Glad you like the gloves!

Dave
Dave Mitchell
Sounder
I've Got Gills

Post by Sounder »

Dmitchell wrote:Maybe! Send me an info packet and I'll look it over.

I assume that you were the one without the badge on. When we went by to see if you were there, I couldn't get within 20' of the booth it was so crowded!

Glad you like the gloves!

Dave
Ah CRAP! You were there?! I wish you'd thrown some elbows and said hi! Yeah, I was the guy without the badge showing - I was annoyed with it so I took it off. Black button-down LV shirt, jeans... usually talking with no less than 5 people.

We were SLAMMED!!! I don't mean "busy," I mean slammed... we were crowded about 80% of the day, EVERY DAY including Saturday!! Usually we were 2-3 people deep too. It was amazing, exhausting, and perfect for someone who gets their energy from people.

It was fun to talk with Mr. Rawlings too - he was fortunate enough to grab a chair. I think I sat down exactly twice during the whole show. Both times with "John"... once with John Rawlings and once with John Chatterton. On a side note - I spent around 2 hours with John Chatterton and am looking forward continuing our discussion soon... exciting things on the horizon.
cardiver
I've Got Gills

Post by cardiver »

Hey, Doug. Who's the goofy looking guy on the far right in the pic on Liquivisions web site? :bootyshake:
-Ron T.
"When I'm 80 I'll take up real diving, which is done in a pub..." Ray Ives.
253-227-0856
My Dive Pics...
https://www.facebook.com/RETOPPPHOTOGRAPHY
Nwbrewer
I've Got Gills

Post by Nwbrewer »

Yeah dude, who is that guy? Did somebody make a mistake putting him on the site?
cardiver
I've Got Gills

Post by cardiver »

I was seriously considering purchasing one of their computers until I saw the company that they keep.......
-Ron T.
253-227-0856
My Dive Pics...
Nwbrewer
I've Got Gills

Post by Nwbrewer »

maybe he's just some random dive computer stalker who snuck into the photo's... :dontknow:
Sounder
I've Got Gills

Post by Sounder »

If you don't buy an X1, I heard he'll come give you a big sexy man-hug. :naka:

If you want to just go diving and try an X1 out for yourself, he's happy to do that too... without the big sexy man-hug.

Geez - I didn't realize Margaret was taking pictures. If you're interested, Mr. V-Planner himself (Ross) is the guy in the middle of that picture wearing the tan shirt. :smt024

So who wants to try an X1? I know Jake was impressed when he saw it.
cardiver
I've Got Gills

Post by cardiver »

Come with Bassman and I on Thursday and bring an extra.
-Ron T.
253-227-0856
My Dive Pics...
Nwbrewer
I've Got Gills

Post by Nwbrewer »

It is most definitely cool. Although as everyone knows I'm the cheapest diver on earth. Off to buy a lottery ticket I guess...
defied
I've Got Gills

Post by defied »

Can I borrow one indefinitely? Hack out a module for it or something? 0]
Sounder
I've Got Gills

Post by Sounder »

cardiver wrote:Come with Bassman and I on Thursday and bring an extra.
Unfortunately I can't make it Thursday, but we'll get together soon. The X1 is an absolute Ferrari dive computer. I can't wait to see pictures of Peter Guy and LCF in Mexican caves with them later this month!!

For the record, LCF has been trying and trying to kill her loaner unit (these were her instructions - we're testing some stuff)... despite her best efforts, she's yet to kill the mighty X1. The X1 is a beefy computer, built to last and built for divers who are rough with their gear... just ask the folks (some of whom are here) who got to throw them around on the thin-carpet-covered cement at DEMA.
defied wrote:Can I borrow one indefinitely? Hack out a module for it or something? 0]
Hmmm... I'm thinking the indefinite loan probably goes against our CEO's vision for growth. :dontknow:
defied
I've Got Gills

Post by defied »

Foiled!

It's a great looking box, fo sho. The price kills me though.