Pro ear goggles

Need advice on recreational gear configurations? Look no further than this equipment forum.
Samson

Pro ear goggles

Post by Samson »

Has anyone ever used these before??

http://www.proear2000.com/

I bought a set and they arrived today. They look pretty darn good. I am anxious to try them out.
Ill let ya know how they do....

Samson-
vbcoachchris
Dive-aholic

Re: Pro ear goggles

Post by vbcoachchris »

I think they require a special type of hood. It has an inner layer and outer layer. I had a student with them, he had a hard geting them to seal around the ears and it took him a LONG time to get ready to actually descend. know way way he able to do a mask remove and replace skill. They looked like they we a pain in the $%#, but maybe they do work.

scott
Last edited by vbcoachchris on Thu Oct 30, 2008 10:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dmitchell
Perma Narc'd

Post by Dmitchell »

I know a guy who swears by his. He cut holes in his hood for the cups. He looks like a troll when he doesn't have his mask on though.
Dave Mitchell
OreCoastDiver
Avid Diver

Post by OreCoastDiver »

I have enough of a problem getting a good seal around my mask so it doesn't leak, I'm guessing keeping a good seal on my mask AND both ears would be almost impossible.

In almost all cases, simpler is better when diving.

My wife's OW instructor said that of the 200 or so students he's taught, only one was not able to clear his ears. If your having problems, slow down or go up a few feet.
Brandon
Compression is good for the soul.
Pinkpadigal
I've Got Gills

Post by Pinkpadigal »

We sell a mask similar to the one you found. It does require a special hood, but it can be very comfortable and work well, if it is sealed properly. I dove it in Hawaii one time, and it was more hassle that it was worth.

The problem is that you will not be able to dive with that mask in you open water class. You will be required to remove your mask in open water and this mask will not allow you to do it easily. In fact, trying to do a mask removal with a hood is going to be a royal PITA.

I will agree with Brandon. I have certified hundreds of students and I have never had any one that wasn't able to ascend. I would talk with your instructor and work with him/her on different ways to help you clear. Once you do it enough, it becomes very easy. Don't worry, it will be OK.
Amy Rhodes
PADI Master Instructor #183890
A-2-Z Scuba Instruction
http://www.a2zscuba.com
Samson

Post by Samson »

My issue is not with the inability to clear my ears. My issue is that I have ruptured my ears multiple times over the years, non scuba related,.. and they are very weak. One good sneeze will rupture one if I am not careful. I am looking for a "preventative measure" if you will, to avoid getting into trouble and keeping me out for several weeks should an issue arise. I will be able to complete my OW with my regular goggles. However, if these do work and I could dive and keep my ears dry,........ obviously I will need to try them out in the pool and get used to clearing them etc ..... but,...

They worked in the bathtub last night..... Does that count as a pretrial????? \:D/

:laughing3: Samson-
Dmitchell
Perma Narc'd

Post by Dmitchell »

Samson, You're reasoning for looking at his mask is exactly why the guy I know who has one wears his. It works well for him.

Your alternative might be a latex hood on your drysuit. I'm not a huge fan of them because they are fragile and expensive but your head will stay pretty well dry.

Dave
Dave Mitchell

Post by Samson »

Awesome news Dave!! Thanks!

Samson-