Is it time to switch it up?

Need advice on recreational gear configurations? Look no further than this equipment forum.
Pez7378
I've Got Gills

Is it time to switch it up?

Post by Pez7378 »

Okay, so as some of you know, I've been away for awhile getting in a few dives somewhere in the Philippines. Coming back I've realized that things don't quite seem the same.

I need some advice on gear configuration. Since I've been gone, I've been exposed to a few different setups that seem to work. I guess I should set the stage though and let you all know what I'm currently using:

DUI TLS 350 Dry suit
Turtle fins with spring straps
DSS Single SS BP with 35# Torus Wing
Apex XTX 200 on a 7' long hose with XTX 50 bungied backup
Suunto Vyper on a DSS bungie wrist mount
Various accessories

So I'm wondering, Can anyone recommend a good fitting wetsuit that won't inhibit my range of motion, a nice pair of bright colored split fins that incorporate both speed and power, a relatively good fitting weight integrated BC with lots of D-rings and pockets? I think I'm also going to switch over to a shorter hose for my primary reg, and a longer yellow one for my backup.

Has anyone done this before? I'm just tossing the idea around and wanted some feedback because as much as I've looked and looked, I've never heard of anyone switching from a Hogarthian type setup, to a more colorful, Padi oriented "vacation setup".
Sounder
I've Got Gills

Re: Is it time to switch it up?

Post by Sounder »

Pez7378 wrote:Has anyone done this before? I'm just tossing the idea around and wanted some feedback because as much as I've looked and looked, I've never heard of anyone switching from a Hogarthian type setup, to a more colorful, Padi oriented "vacation setup".
Well, you know - "Once you go black..." :rr:

Dude, how much betel nut did you chew?! #-o It may be time for an intervention. :dontknow:
GUE Seattle - The official GUE Affiliate in the Northwest!
Joshua Smith
I've Got Gills

Post by Joshua Smith »

I can't quite tell if you're being serious or not- but if you are, talk to Calvin- he's actually a connoisseur of that tropical/ recreational gear.
Maritime Documentation Society

"To venture into the terrible loneliness, one must have something greater than greed. Love. One needs love for life, for intrigue, for mystery."
Burntchef
I've Got Gills

Post by Burntchef »

sounds like this last trip was more fo a scouting for a permanent move?? not sure if joe can handle a long distance realationship though, im sure you know of some real nice fellows who would trade you joe for lets say a carton of lucky strikes and dessert for a week :pale:

just kidding joe, how did your reflector come out?
Chin high, puffed chest, we step right to it
The choice is there ain't no choice but to pursue it

"Diving the gas is the easy part, not much to it, plenty of retards are using it safely. " jamieZ
Burntchef
I've Got Gills

Post by Burntchef »

sounds like this last trip was more fo a scouting for a permanent move?? not sure if joe can handle a long distance realationship though, im sure you know of some real nice fellows who would trade you joe for lets say a carton of lucky strikes and dessert for a week :pale:

just kidding joe, how did your reflector come out?
Chin high, puffed chest, we step right to it
The choice is there ain't no choice but to pursue it

"Diving the gas is the easy part, not much to it, plenty of retards are using it safely. " jamieZ
Sounder
I've Got Gills

Post by Sounder »

You can say THAT again!! #-o
GUE Seattle - The official GUE Affiliate in the Northwest!
whatevah
Aquanaut

Post by whatevah »

I think what you've noticed is the very same reasoning behind my diving wetsuit/drysuit about 50/50. The drysuit setup just isn't as much fun as the wetsuit - it enables a certain kind of diving that I couldn't practically manage in a wetsuit, but when it comes down to it my favorite dives are playing in the kelp in my wetsuit with the sun streaming through the water around me. Having a wetsuit means you can do some freediving, too - which is fabulous!

Now - as to fit, I can't tell you - you have to try the gear on yourself. I really like Bare's Arctic suits - I think that the combination of full suit and a step-in vest with attached hood is just about the best possible option for stopping the chilly water from flowing through your suit. I don't have one myself yet, but that's almost certainly where I'll go when my current (old-school john/jacket) wetsuit can no longer be stuck back together with Aquaseal. I wouldn't recommend a regular BC with integrated weights here - I know they can work great in warmer waters but I just don't think they balance out very well here where we need to carry so much lead. I use the same SS backplate, single tank adapter and wing for my wetsuit diving and my drysuit diving, and I wear a nice comfy weight belt - I made it using 2lb bullet weights that I molded from salvaged lead, and it has two small weight pouches on it (I put a 2lb soft pouch into each pouch to add the extra 4lbs I need for the drysuit). The same 16lb belt works out well for freediving. I can't offer any input on the fins sorry - I have yet to find a set of split fins that I can tolerate - they all feel like limp noodles on my feet - no "oomph" - but I think it's all about what you're accustomed to. Swap fins when you're diving with friends and try out as many fins as you can :)

Good for you - I think broadening your gear possibilities will help you see a whole new side of diving. I like having my drysuit, large capacity cylinders, etc for some of the deeper/longer exploratory dives I do - and I _love_ having my "SCUBA lite" gear too. Freediving, diving sans BC with a pony-sized cylinder, snorkeling in the rivers etc, are all really fun activities that many local divers seem too narrow-minded to consider. They get caught up in the "more gear is better" or closely related "more gear will keep me safe" mentality. The joys of playing in the water are lost on people who take this stuff far too seriously.
“When one tugs at a single thing in nature, he finds it attached to the rest of the world.” -- John Muir
ljjames
I've Got Gills

Post by ljjames »

CF200 and XM450 for northwest diving...

by comparison...

TLS and lightweight (Powerstretch or something) for "warmer" water ;)

AL backplate or Monkey harness

AL 80 with stage kit (you can even pick up one of the slightly PITA DSS ones and make a slung bottle out of any tank whilst on vaca)

Stage reg with a backup second stage (just remember yoke adaptor)

Voila! Tropical kit out of Hogarthian gear ;)
----
"I survived the Brittandrea Dorikulla, where's my T-shirt!"
Dusty2
I've Got Gills

Post by Dusty2 »

OK I have my flame retardant undies on so here goes... I know I am playing against a stacked deck on this forum but Hey guys he did ask. :supz: :supz:

Pinnacle Polar 7mm Semi-Dry Wetsuit A little pricey but the warmest wet suit I have found.

BCD Rip Tide zone is very well made, fits great and I know were you can get one new for just a bit over 200 bucks. Also Hollis makes a couple great new models but about twice the money.

The best splits fins I have found are the TUSA expert zoom fins. Apollo Sports Bio Fin Pro are top rated also. check here for scuba labs test reposts http://www.scuba.com/resources/fin.htm
Pez7378
I've Got Gills

Post by Pez7378 »

Thanks for the responses. Except for Sounder who just wants to do an intervention! So is there anyone out there who has experience with this? I mean switching from a HOG setup to a more "traditional" setup?
Sockmonkey
I've Got Gills

Post by Sockmonkey »

Pinnacle 3mm marino wool lined wetsuit. Its as warm as a 5mm. And I've beaten a couple pinnacle wetsuits up pretty hard and I'm here to say they're sturdy as all get out. Wool is your friend. You can cop a feel of my wool lined drysuit hood the next time we bump into each other.

A back inflate BC for sure. I used to dive (and still own) an older version of the Dacor RIG which had lots of D rings but was still a traditional type BC. I lost the weight integrated pockets pretty early on and never bothered to replace them. I suppose if I had to do it again now I'd probably go with a Hollis.

As far as fins go? I used to have a pair of apollo bio split fins and they're great if you're flutter kicking all day and night. I ended up buying a second pair of jets that were small enough for my wetsuit booties.

X-Shorts... dorky looking but oh so handy to carry all your crap in.

Why not just buy an aluminum or kydex plate and use it for tropical diving with your Torus? I feel pretty durn naked in my bp/w in a 3mm suit... which is a large part of why I switched to one.

And I can't imagine you're serious about not using a long hose... unless you're tired of all the stupid questions from other divers on cattle dive boats.

-Eric
"I used to do this for fun, but now, I do it for nothing" -Not Joshua Smith

:eric: Hawaiian Seamonkey Blog