Alternative Weight Source?

Need advice on recreational gear configurations? Look no further than this equipment forum.
thelawgoddess
Pelagic

Post by thelawgoddess »

:laughing3: don't feel too bad. i'm sure there are many of us DIY types that have had "great" ideas only to realize after a little bit of research that they're not that great once you factor in the cost. #-o don't let that stop you, though, because one of these days you might just come up with the greatest idea since ... um ... post-in notes or something. :book:

my labor day weekend project is a DIY drysuit undergarment(s) ... i'm trying not to get my hopes up too much since i've never actually sewn a garment in my life. luckily, i drowned my camera last night so i won't be able to take and post pics of the results ... :evil4:

btw, i've seen some DIY projects around the 'net where guys have poured their own v-weights for the backplate and whatnot ... seems like that could be a good way to go if you really have a lot of weight you need to spread around.
"Life without passion is life without depth."~J.Hollis
my FLICKR photo sets
boydski
Submariner

Post by boydski »

Sounder wrote:Well, I think I may have answered my own question...

The reason tungsten isn't widely used is probably due to the fact that the first quote I got on it was 4/5 of a scuba unit per pound!!! Gulp!!! :pale: (that's $80 for those who don't count in scuba units).

I'm still intrigued with a couple other ideas, but it sounds like good old lead is the way to go! I'm still waiting to hear back on a couple other quotes, but I'm sure they'll all be roughly the same.

Oh well - t'was a fun thought. #-o ](*,)
I know Jeff Kruse filled up some weight pouches with Tungsten for his wife (Katrina). There's a little bit of information on his web site at: http://www.seanet.com/~katrinakruse/Tungsten.htm, which states he paid $8 per pound.

I think you'll be happy with the Plate weights. They are simple and easy to use, which is nice.
DiverDown
I've Got Gills

Post by DiverDown »

Ive got an idea, Why don't you use a couple of big rocks!!! \:D/ Ive had to do that when I first started diving.. I like to use mercury Its real heavy And great for trim.. :la:

Seriously though, if you really want to spend the money on some exotic metal cause your worried about the environment. I think your wasting your time.. Does the lead in your weight belt really cause environmental problems that You should worry about?? I think that your car does more damage than your weight belt..
Who run barter town?
lamont
I've Got Gills

Post by lamont »

DiverDown wrote:Ive got an idea, Why don't you use a couple of big rocks!!! \:D/ Ive had to do that when I first started diving.. I like to use mercury Its real heavy And great for trim.. :la:

Seriously though, if you really want to spend the money on some exotic metal cause your worried about the environment. I think your wasting your time.. Does the lead in your weight belt really cause environmental problems that You should worry about?? I think that your car does more damage than your weight belt..
I'll bet the superfund dump site in elliott bay is way worse than all the lead from all the scuba divers in cove 2 combined...
DiverDown
I've Got Gills

Post by DiverDown »

Hey Lamont,I am jealous with envy of all that sweet gear that guy is wearing in your avatar \:D/ Is that Jarrod Jablosnski?? He He..
Who run barter town?
thelawgoddess
Pelagic

Post by thelawgoddess »

yeah; lamont - that is seriously crazy!!!
"Life without passion is life without depth."~J.Hollis
my FLICKR photo sets
lamont
I've Got Gills

Post by lamont »

its the new DIR gear config... JJ just posted it to quest...
Joshua Smith
I've Got Gills

Post by Joshua Smith »

lamont wrote:its the new DIR gear config... JJ just posted it to quest...
a
Lol- Man, that's nuts. I admire those cave diving loons, but that pic alone pretty much makes me want to either stay in open water, or get a rebreather. I mean, good lord, how much you figure all that gear weighs? 300 lbs? ](*,)
Maritime Documentation Society

"To venture into the terrible loneliness, one must have something greater than greed. Love. One needs love for life, for intrigue, for mystery."
lamont
I've Got Gills

Post by lamont »

Nailer99 wrote:
lamont wrote:its the new DIR gear config... JJ just posted it to quest...
a
Lol- Man, that's nuts. I admire those cave diving loons, but that pic alone pretty much makes me want to either stay in open water, or get a rebreather. I mean, good lord, how much you figure all that gear weighs? 300 lbs? ](*,)
<---- just imagine being in a cave and seeing that coming at you...
DiverDown
I've Got Gills

Post by DiverDown »

You wanna see some sweet gear setups?? Take this TEST.. This is a funny test, and its DIR related. But its funny to see all that have taken it You might recognize some of them...
Who run barter town?