@#*?! fin straps - removal help???

Need advice on recreational gear configurations? Look no further than this equipment forum.
thelawgoddess
Pelagic

@#*?! fin straps - removal help???

Post by thelawgoddess »

can someone tell me how to remove the scubapro jetfin original strap hardware? are they supposed to just pop off the pins if i apply enough pressure, or is there a secret???
"Life without passion is life without depth."~J.Hollis
my FLICKR photo sets
Joshua Smith
I've Got Gills

Post by Joshua Smith »

I put some spring straps on a pair of jets a little while back, but I traded them away.....if I remember right, pliers were involved with the operation- I had to pry the metal "strap holder" out of the fin body, kind of.
Maritime Documentation Society

"To venture into the terrible loneliness, one must have something greater than greed. Love. One needs love for life, for intrigue, for mystery."
thelawgoddess
Pelagic

Post by thelawgoddess »

hmm. i will try some more, but i can't tell if it even has anything to pry. it looks like a pin that was put through the rubber knobby part, with screw ends on each end - except then someone chopped the screw heads off. i'm about to leave it for my boyfriend, but he tends to break things when much force is required ...
my FLICKR photo sets
Joshua Smith
I've Got Gills

Post by Joshua Smith »

OK, yeah, that jogged my memory. You need a file or a drill with a sharp metal bit the right size- you need to remove the bradded end off of one side of the pin so it can be pulled through the fin body.

"To venture into the terrible loneliness, one must have something greater than greed. Love. One needs love for life, for intrigue, for mystery."
sparky
I've Got Gills

Post by sparky »

Lawgodess:

your on the right track if your adding Spring Straps to your fins
just lock on to them with a pair of wire cuters or plires and twist till it snaps but dont brake the rubber

put your new fin straps wire part in the hole and pinch tem tight hard

then your all set you can do this in a bout 4 or 5 min at a dive site if need be

Sparky
A Smart Man
Learns from his mistakes

A Wise Man
Learns from the mistakes of those that have gone before him
thelawgoddess
Pelagic

Post by thelawgoddess »

aw, crap! okay; good to know. i've been driving myself crazy trying to manhandle them. i actually think the spring straps i have are too long and i'll need to get shorter ones anyway. :crybaby:
my FLICKR photo sets
Aquanautchuck
Pelagic

Post by Aquanautchuck »

I just did this on a old pair of jets. I used my handy welding grinder. Took seconds. \:D/
Sounder
I've Got Gills

Post by Sounder »

How funny - I just went through this with my jet fins! My removal of the old hardware involved a hammer, a pry-bar, a beer, several colorful phrases, and a bruised knuckle. :angryfire:

Once I got the old stuff off, the new straps went on like a dream!!! \:D/
GUE Seattle - The official GUE Affiliate in the Northwest!
Aquanautchuck
Pelagic

Post by Aquanautchuck »

Sounder wrote:How funny - I just went through this with my jet fins! My removal of the old hardware involved a hammer, a pry-bar, a beer, several colorful phrases, and a bruised knuckle. :angryfire:

Once I got the old stuff off, the new straps went on like a dream!!! \:D/
That sounds like the description of the first pair of straps I ever removed years ago.
:violent1:
Sounder
I've Got Gills

Post by Sounder »

It was one of the most frustrating things I've done in a long time - I really wanted to manhandle it, but didn't want to damage the rubber. I was amazed what I could do with a hammer, a pry bar, and a large set of channel-lock pliers can do!
thelawgoddess
Pelagic

Post by thelawgoddess »

yeah; i got a cramp in my hand and felt like i had carpal tunnel syndrome or something the rest of the night ... :-(

anybody got some short spring straps they want to trade for long ones???
my FLICKR photo sets
dsteding
I've Got Gills

Post by dsteding »

I just drilled the end of the pins with a bit slightly bigger than the pin diameter. Once the end of the pins was zapped, the rest was easy. I used channel locks and a pair of needle nose pliers to open up the d-rings on the spring straps, and then the channel locks to close them down again.
thelawgoddess
Pelagic

Post by thelawgoddess »

well, it's obvious i don't have enough tools. actually, i don't have ANY power tools. #-o i guess i need to go shopping ... ](*,)
my FLICKR photo sets
Aquanautchuck
Pelagic

Post by Aquanautchuck »

All I can say is "HOME DEPOT" Its Nirvana for tools.

I may have a pair of spring straps to trade. I just put my old ones on my new jet fins and they are too tight for me. Maybe we can hook up and check them out.

Charles
Joshua Smith
I've Got Gills

Post by Joshua Smith »

thelawgoddess wrote:well, it's obvious i don't have enough tools. actually, i don't have ANY power tools. #-o i guess i need to go shopping ... ](*,)
Hey, TLG- I drive a hardware store to every dive- I'm sure I could hook up your staps sometime.

Aquanautchuck
Pelagic

Post by Aquanautchuck »

Yeah, Home Depot sends Nailer Christmas cards. :la:
thelawgoddess
Pelagic

Post by thelawgoddess »

Nailer99 wrote:
thelawgoddess wrote:well, it's obvious i don't have enough tools. actually, i don't have ANY power tools. #-o i guess i need to go shopping ... ](*,)
Hey, TLG- I drive a hardware store to every dive- I'm sure I could hook up your staps sometime.
well, i don't need help putting them on; i need help removing the old hardware ... which is actually moot right now because i need shorter straps for my little feet.
my FLICKR photo sets
Sounder
I've Got Gills

Post by Sounder »

I'm 110% POSITIVE Nailer could pull SOMETHING from the "Big Green Home Depot-esk Mobile Hardware Emporium" that could get those pieces off your fins in an instant. There's not much more a man needs that isn't in that van - a full set of tools, building materials, a place large enough to take a nap, and a full set of dive gear... what more does a man need?! =D>
bnboly
Submariner

Post by bnboly »

Changing straps?! So far I am 3 for 3 in breaking straps duriong scuba class! I'm getting pretty good at replacing them on well used training equipment!
It's not broken - it's just missing duct tape!
BASSMAN
I've Got Gills

Post by BASSMAN »

LG,
I just used a hammer and a drift punch and drove those suckers(pins) out!
:violent1:
The new straps came with screws & nuts to replace the pins.

But then again, that was on my twin jets. Yours might be different.

Good Luck,

If all else fails, take up Nailers offer! :supz: