Christmas Eve Diving Alaska Style

Tell us your tale of coming nose-to-nose with a 6 gill [--this big--], or about your vacation to turquoise warm waters. Share your adventures here!
Dmitchell
Perma Narc'd

Christmas Eve Diving Alaska Style

Post by Dmitchell »

So, My buddy Josh brought his family home from Ft. Benning for Christmas. He asked months ago if we could get a dive in since all he's been able to do in GA and FL has been teaching and a few shallow caves. So we were diving regardless of the weather!

So Josh, Bill, Phil and I met at my shop and planned our dive and decided on Amalga Harbor for certain even though it was a 20 mile drive and we had about 8" of new snow. By the time we got out to the harbor it was more like 14". Here are some shots from the dive.

By the way! Josh is in Seattle as of today doing his rEvo class with Mel (scubagrunt) so if you see them out at Al-Ki Say Hi!

Amalga Harbor:

Harbormaster - cleared us a place to park out of his way.

Gearing up:

Josh and I - I was experimenting with the ankle weights - testing my trim with the KISS.

Josh Excited about a real dive! and his hopefully last OC dive for Awhile!

It was a great dive! I was nearly attacked by a GPO! You'd have to see the video to believe it!

Dave
Dave Mitchell
Tom Nic
I've Got Gills

Re: Christmas Eve Diving Alaska Style

Post by Tom Nic »

Awesome pictures Dave! =D> Thanks for posting them!

Oh, and we want to hear the story about your encounter with the GPO, and would Love to see the video if you have time!
More Pics Than You Have Time To Look AT
"Anyone who thinks this place is over moderated is bat-crazy anarchist." -Ben, Airsix
"Warning: No dive masters are going to be there, Just a bunch of old fat guys taking pictures of fish." -Bassman
Dmitchell
Perma Narc'd

Post by Dmitchell »

I swam over a big rock and it was just sitting there. Flashed my buddies to come look. About that time a sealion showed up and I turned to watch the lion and my buddy Phil starts waving at me to turn around! I turned just as the Octo was about on me! I reached out and it's tenacle rubbed across my hand and then it turned and headed back to it's den. Really cool!
Dave Mitchell
Burntchef
I've Got Gills

Post by Burntchef »

what time will he be at alki tommorow dave? might be able to drive down and snap a few pics.
Chin high, puffed chest, we step right to it
The choice is there ain't no choice but to pursue it

"Diving the gas is the easy part, not much to it, plenty of retards are using it safely. " jamieZ
Curt McNamee
Dive-aholic

Post by Curt McNamee »

Josh at Mukilteo in rEvo training with Mel Clark on Saturday, they will be at Cove II on Sunday
Attachments
P1040571.JPG
P1040565.JPG
Tom Nic
I've Got Gills

Post by Tom Nic »

More cool pics! Thanks for posting Curt... it's fun to follow along.
More Pics Than You Have Time To Look AT
"Anyone who thinks this place is over moderated is bat-crazy anarchist." -Ben, Airsix
"Warning: No dive masters are going to be there, Just a bunch of old fat guys taking pictures of fish." -Bassman
Curt McNamee
Dive-aholic

Post by Curt McNamee »

Josh and Mel during rEvo pool training on Saturday.
Attachments
Josh & Mel rEvo photo.jpg
Josh rEvo photo.jpg
Curt McNamee
rEvo & KISS Classic Diver
http://www.silentscuba.com
Dmitchell
Perma Narc'd

Post by Dmitchell »

Here's the link to the Video of the Christmas Eve Dive -

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pPBf13JWC4g

Dave
Dave Mitchell
no excuses
Extreme Diving Machine

Post by no excuses »

great vid. loved it !!
defied
I've Got Gills

Post by defied »

Wow! Best vid evar!

You've got sea lion messing with fools, and a GPO going for the gusto! Awesome!
smike
Extreme Diving Machine

Post by smike »

I enjoyed that video more than just about any I have ever seen! Thank you so much for sharing it. Looks cold! I may have to make my way up there. I was really impressed with the visibility.

S'Mike
Behold, the King reigns! You are his publicity agents. Therefore advertise, advertise, advertise, the King and his kingdom.
Dmitchell
Perma Narc'd

Post by Dmitchell »

smike wrote:I enjoyed that video more than just about any I have ever seen! Thank you so much for sharing it. Looks cold! I may have to make my way up there. I was really impressed with the visibility.

S'Mike
Thanks!

The vis isn't always that good but winter is best!

Dave
Dave Mitchell
Curt McNamee
Dive-aholic

Post by Curt McNamee »

Dave- Wait till you see Josh's new DiveX Cuda !!!!!! He won't have any $$$$ left by the time he finally leaves us.
Curt McNamee
Dmitchell
Perma Narc'd

Post by Dmitchell »

Yea, he keeps emailing me with little tidbits! He better be careful, His better half will give him a serious A$$$ kicking!
Dave Mitchell
Sounder
I've Got Gills

Post by Sounder »

Dmitchell wrote:Yea, he keeps emailing me with little tidbits! He better be careful, His better half will give him a serious A$$$ kicking!
I heard it doesn't count if you buy stuff in a different area code from your wife. :dontknow:

Dave - I'm impressed with that snow diving. I've certainly dived in the snow, but not that kind of snow. I don't like snow diving, but I'll tolerate it if the mood strikes me. I'm impressed at your drive and motivation. :hello2:
GUE Seattle - The official GUE Affiliate in the Northwest!
Curt McNamee
Dive-aholic

Post by Curt McNamee »

Dmitchell wrote:Yea, he keeps emailing me with little tidbits! He better be careful, His better half will give him a serious A$$$ kicking!
I know, he has a very serious thinking type look on his face all the time now :dontknow:
Curt McNamee
Sounder
I've Got Gills

Post by Sounder »

Curt McNamee wrote:
I know, he has a very serious thinking type look on his face all the time now :dontknow:
I know that look. :pale: :smt051
GUE Seattle - The official GUE Affiliate in the Northwest!
Dmitchell
Perma Narc'd

Post by Dmitchell »

Sounder wrote: I heard it doesn't count if you buy stuff in a different area code from your wife. :dontknow:

Dave - I'm impressed with that snow diving. I've certainly dived in the snow, but not that kind of snow. I don't like snow diving, but I'll tolerate it if the mood strikes me. I'm impressed at your drive and motivation. :hello2:
Hey thanks!

Friday night was worse, we picked our site based on what we thought would have been plowed. We were wrong! The site we picked has not been plowed and we were stuck hiking about 300 yards through 14" of snow! to and from the water!

It was worth it , we saw 5 Lumpsuckers, 3 snailfish and a half dozen sturgeon poachers on one dive! No camera on that dive (darn it).

Dave
Dave Mitchell
sea2summit
Avid Diver

Post by sea2summit »

Boy Dave look at what you started. That was a great video, goes to show how good the diving is in ALASKA. Now that I've got the rEvo I'm way needing to get a good trip planned to come do more good dives and wreck hunting with you.

For the fan club I've attached some more photos, I am accepting donations for a scooter or another trip up to Juneau to do some wrecks (PM me :supz: ).
Attachments
Mel still can't figure me out but I think she's going to let me graduate anyway.
Mel still can't figure me out but I think she's going to let me graduate anyway.
I've got to figure out a way to get one of these.
I've got to figure out a way to get one of these.
I think I can I think I can I think I can...
I think I can I think I can I think I can...