Redondo Sunday 12/28

Tell us your tale of coming nose-to-nose with a 6 gill [--this big--], or about your vacation to turquoise warm waters. Share your adventures here!
Joshua Smith
I've Got Gills

Redondo Sunday 12/28

Post by Joshua Smith »

Thanks to everyone there today- I had a great time diving with y'all- and especially yakking in the parking lot afterwards! Congratulations to Sheri on dive #100- it was great doing #99 with you- especially since the last dive I did with you was, I think, a single-digit dive for the both of us- 8 or 9, if I remember correctly!
Maritime Documentation Society

"To venture into the terrible loneliness, one must have something greater than greed. Love. One needs love for life, for intrigue, for mystery."
Grateful Diver
I've Got Gills

Re: Redondo Sunday 12/28

Post by Grateful Diver »

Great turnout! It was fun spending the day with everyone.

My photo of the day ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)
Threats and ultimatums are never the best answer. Public humiliation via Photoshop is always better - airsix

Come visit me at http://www.nwgratefuldiver.com/
Sockmonkey
I've Got Gills

Post by Sockmonkey »

Today saw an asinine number of pacnorwest divers at Redondulous.

The highlight of my day was watching Mariostiq the scuba plumber run around the parking lot trying to kick some koopa troopa ass. Boy oh boy do I want my phone to make mario brother noises when I jump up and down. I'm more jealous of that app than I was the first time I had to give back a borrowed Salvo light.

Spatman, Ppants, Sheri and I did first dive down to the bottle field... among a gang of many others... including a bubble-less Josh. We didn't have much in the way of critters to look at but it was still totally relaxing down there. A tht end of the dive once we came over the ridge by the exit/entry pilings a 3kt current swept us bigtime. Suddenly in 15 feet of water we were fighting not to get swept away during our ascent. Once on the surface we joined everyone else hugging the barnacle encrusted pilings. Making a mad dash between them and some hand over hand on the metal braces we finally got to a place where we were able to stand. I think we used more gas trying to swim between the pilings than we did most of the dive. Where in the F did that come from? The current predictions lie lie lie!

The second dive to the rockpile past the bug and back we were also largely skunked in the way of fishies to look at (compared to the usual redondo awesomeness). Still the best way to spend nearly an hour of your day. Spatman and I came up with a couple impromptu hand signals that mean "Those people buzzing us every few mins on the scooters are real jerks"

Fishstiq has been infected with a case of grand mal scooteratosis. I wasn't sure if was the wizzing of the motors I heard or Joe yelling "Weeeeee!"

Fishstiq with his newborn (borrowed) scooter... awww.

Of course we were there to celebrate Sheri's 100th dive... and blow off some holiday steam by finally getting back in the water.

The queen du jour herself.

Thanks to everyone for a really really really fun day.

-Eric
"I used to do this for fun, but now, I do it for nothing" -Not Joshua Smith

:eric: Hawaiian Seamonkey Blog
Zen Diver
DAN Ambassador

Post by Zen Diver »

Congrat Shari =D> Love the tiara!
Pez7378
I've Got Gills

Post by Pez7378 »

Sockmonkey wrote: Fishstiq has been infected with a case of grand mal scooteratosis. I wasn't sure if was the wizzing of the motors I heard or Joe yelling "Weeeeee!"

Fishstiq with his newborn (borrowed) scooter... awww.

-Eric
Dude, I let him go out by himself one time.....ONE TIME alone, and he lets someone give him a sample of the Scooter Crack. #-o

](*,) That'll end up costing me a few thousand dollars no doubt. Thanks a lot BRIAN!
BDub
I've Got Gills

Post by BDub »

Pez7378 wrote:That'll end up costing me a few thousand dollars no doubt. Thanks a lot BRIAN!
Don't thank me....thank JEANNA! :evil4:
http://www.frogkickdiving.com/

"It's a lot easier when you're not doing it" - CaseyB449

"There needs to be more strawberry condoms. Just not on my regulator" - DSteding
BDub
I've Got Gills

Post by BDub »

Sockmonkey wrote: Spatman and I came up with a couple impromptu hand signals that mean "Those people buzzing us every few mins on the scooters are real jerks"
Yeah...we also came up with a coupla hand signals for those 2 guys that were kicking and kept getting in our way and slowing us down....

That was a fun day. Redondo is ridiculously small on the scooter, but it was fun to get out and play. It was great to see everyone, and congrats Sheri!

"There needs to be more strawberry condoms. Just not on my regulator" - DSteding
Pez7378
I've Got Gills

Post by Pez7378 »

BDub wrote:
Pez7378 wrote:That'll end up costing me a few thousand dollars no doubt. Thanks a lot BRIAN!
Don't thank me....thank JEANNA! :evil4:
Yeah sure, blame the wife......That story might work with Debbie, but NOT with ME BUDDY!!

Eh, what the hell. What am I worried about anyway, he won't buy a scooter............(thinking to myself)...."I wonder if NWSD has a layaway plan?....."

I am becoming a bit scooter curious myself lately....................... #-o and the scooteratosis infected SOB is sending me DIVEXTRAS CAVE scooterin videos!!!!!!!!!!! AAAAaaaagggghhhhh! :smt119
H20doctor
I've Got Gills

Post by H20doctor »

dam you Joe !!!!!!! now youve done it .... a scooter ? a scooter ? :angryfire: I hope you washed your hands after touching that Dirty , Infected, FILTHY , piece of aluminum....!!!!!!!
NWDC Rule #2 Pictures Or it didn't Happen
spatman
I've Got Gills

Post by spatman »

the NWDC A-team descended on the Dond in force. complete with scuba-mobiles, nifty gadgets and toys, and canopies, heaters and warm beverages. yesterday was definitely a great turnout with an awesome group of divers.

i'll get some of my UW pics together later today and post. (sorry, joe, the ones of you fondling the scooter didn't come out.)

but here's a shot of us clinging to the piling in the middle of Redondo River. you can see the water swirling around josh's meg and P's tank...

CIMG3220.JPG
Last edited by spatman on Mon Dec 29, 2008 9:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
Penopolypants
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Post by Penopolypants »

Once again, I apologize for being a crazy current magnet. I don't know why they like me. I don't like them. I keep telling them to go away but they keep coming back anyway,

A good time was had by all, especially me! I have a few photos but it will be tomorrow before I can get them up.

Thanks everyone for the most excellent company! Congratulations Sheri on #100!
Come to the nerd side, we have pi!
Sounder
I've Got Gills

Post by Sounder »

That was a fun time! Thanks to everyone who came out - always good to see friends.

What you can't see in the Redondo River picture is Scott and I on the bottom trying to be as streamlined as possible while kicking and crawling along the bottom under the pier.

I'm beginning to think the scooter may become part of my Redondo gear. Redondo is a VERY small place on a scooter (but still fun, right JOE?!) however, the currents have been very weird there for me enough to consider bringing it along.
GUE Seattle - The official GUE Affiliate in the Northwest!
spatman
I've Got Gills

Post by spatman »

here's a few more shots from yesterday...

who let the rebreather guy tag along?
CIMG3206.jpg

sockmonkey:
CIMG3211.jpg

congrats, sheri!
CIMG3227.jpg

ooo, pretty.
CIMG3259.jpg

and the rest are here.
Sockmonkey
I've Got Gills

Post by Sockmonkey »

spatman wrote:here's a few more shots from yesterday...
Dude. Your photos of the small stuff are pretty freaking awesome.

Was this guy the one at the end of dive #2? He was TINY!

-Eric

spatman
I've Got Gills

Post by spatman »

Sockmonkey wrote:Dude. Your photos of the small stuff are pretty freaking awesome.

Was this guy the one at the end of dive #2? He was TINY!
i find this casio to be best in the 1-3 foot range. if there's a lot of natural light it can be ok at other distances as well.

and yeah, that nudi was about an inch long or so...
Joshua Smith
I've Got Gills

Post by Joshua Smith »

spatman wrote:who let the rebreather guy tag along?
Actually, the rebreather guy was letting you tag along with him. You're welcome. No, it's no problem. Seriously. I'll come slum with you bubble blowers any time. :smt064

Great shots, btw, Matt- you're getting good at this stuff- as long as you remember to duct-tape the camera to your hand before the dive, anyway.... :violent3:

"To venture into the terrible loneliness, one must have something greater than greed. Love. One needs love for life, for intrigue, for mystery."
spatman
I've Got Gills

Post by spatman »

Joshua Smith wrote:Actually, the rebreather guy was letting you tag along with him. You're welcome. No, it's no problem. Seriously. I'll come slum with you bubble blowers any time. :smt064
yeah, we like to let you think that, dude. it's good for that whole "mixed team" morale thing.

Joshua Smith wrote:Great shots, btw, Matt- you're getting good at this stuff- as long as you remember to duct-tape the camera to your hand before the dive, anyway.... :violent3:
i wouldn't need the duct tape if you'd just give me back my pink retractor, bastard.
Joshua Smith
I've Got Gills

Post by Joshua Smith »

spatman wrote:i wouldn't need the duct tape if you'd just give me back my pink retractor, bastard.
Well, how am I supposed to keep my Spare Air attached to my split fins if I give it back? I told you, I need it!

Joshua Smith
I've Got Gills

Post by Joshua Smith »

spatman wrote:yeah, we like to let you think that, dude. it's good for that whole "mixed team" morale thing.

You keep mouthing off like that, and I'm gonna go ahead and let my Rebreather kill you, next time we dive. It wanted to take you out yesterday, but I wouldn't let it......

BDub
I've Got Gills

Post by BDub »

Joshua Smith wrote:
spatman wrote:i wouldn't need the duct tape if you'd just give me back my pink retractor, bastard.
Well, how am I supposed to keep my Spare Air attached to my split fins if I give it back? I told you, I need it!
Um...a lanyard? Everyone knows not to attach a Spare Air with a retractor...And you call yourself a "tech diver"...sheesh
Last edited by BDub on Mon Dec 29, 2008 6:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

spatman
I've Got Gills

Post by spatman »

Joshua Smith wrote:You keep mouthing off like that, and I'm gonna go ahead and let my Rebreather kill you, next time we dive. It wanted to take you out yesterday, but I wouldn't let it......
your rebreather's so weak, if it could beat an egg i'd be surprised.

bring it, diluent boy.
Joshua Smith
I've Got Gills

Post by Joshua Smith »

spatman wrote:
Joshua Smith wrote:You keep mouthing off like that, and I'm gonna go ahead and let my Rebreather kill you, next time we dive. It wanted to take you out yesterday, but I wouldn't let it......
your rebreather's so weak, if it could beat an egg i'd be surprised.

bring it, diluent boy.

Sigh. Here we go again. OK, Spat. Let's do this thing. Here's how it works:

We go down to 100'. And we sit there. First guy to ascend is a girly- man. The non-girly man, aka, the manly-man, gets to keep the pink retractor.

Bring it! :supz:

Sounder
I've Got Gills

Post by Sounder »

Joshua Smith wrote:
But which split fin do you attach your Spare Air to? At least you know to use a pink retractor - there may be hope.
Sockmonkey
I've Got Gills

Post by Sockmonkey »

Sounder wrote:
Joshua Smith wrote:
But which split fin do you attach your Spare Air to? At least you know to use a pink retractor - there may be hope.
I typically wrap the retractor's clip around my air2 a few times.

-Eric

Sounder
I've Got Gills

Post by Sounder »

Sockmonkey wrote:
Sounder wrote:
Joshua Smith wrote:
I typically wrap the retractor's clip around my air2 a few times.

-Eric
Wrong. That would kill you. You probably use a black retractor too, eh? ](*,)