Got Gas?

Need advice on recreational gear configurations? Look no further than this equipment forum.
Sounder
I've Got Gills

Got Gas?

Post by Sounder »

Ok, where do most people get their gas besides from your LMFR (Local Mexican Food Restaurant)? :smt119

Two questions:

1. Some places offer "punch-card" discounts on gas, some offer "unlimited Nitrox" for a flat fee/year, and other places are "pay at the pump." Besides instructors who have arrangements with their LDS, what is everyone's preference, and what on average should one pay for fills (all special arrangements aside)? :prayer:

2. I've also heard stories about divers getting short-fills on their HP tanks while on a trip (hypothetically say in the San Juan Islands for instance). #-o ](*,) :angryfire: Are there any easy ways to prevent this besides writing the fill pressure in big numbers on the tank? Should you check your tank pressures before leaving the shop (is it worth setting up an spg specifically for a quick tank check?) as asking for them to be topped off if they're short? I'm interested to hear what experience people have had with it. :prayer:

Thanks! :prayer:
GUE Seattle - The official GUE Affiliate in the Northwest!
dsteding
I've Got Gills

Post by dsteding »

NWSD has a good deal on nitrox-they have two levels, the first is $125/yr (IIRC) that gets you nitrox for $5/fill, and free air fills. The second is $500/yr for unlimited nitrox fills. I think nitrox is regularly $10.

This also gets you good discounts (in my experience, around 10%) off of other stuff bought at the shop, so it really adds up quickly-I got the $125 deal in June and it has more than paid itself off, I may do the $500 plan next year depending on how many dives I put in this year.
thelawgoddess
Pelagic

Post by thelawgoddess »

dsteding wrote:NWSD has a good deal on nitrox-they have two levels, the first is $125/yr (IIRC) that gets you nitrox for $5/fill, and free air fills. The second is $500/yr for unlimited nitrox fills. I think nitrox is regularly $10.
hmm; you might double-check that. i think nitrox is "regularly" $12 - but maybe it depends on what's getting filled ...
"Life without passion is life without depth."~J.Hollis
my FLICKR photo sets
boydski
Submariner

Re: Got Gas?

Post by boydski »

Sounder wrote:
2. I've also heard stories about divers getting short-fills on their HP tanks while on a trip (hypothetically say in the San Juan Islands for instance). #-o ](*,) :angryfire: Are there any easy ways to prevent this besides writing the fill pressure in big numbers on the tank?
Thanks! :prayer:
Hi Sounder,

I fill my own tanks in the garage, so I can't comment on the cost of fills other than I think they are running about $10/fill for Nitrox locally. On all of the HP tanks that I fill (and I'm getting close to my 500th fill for this year), I go over the tank pressure stamp on the tank with a Sharpie Marker. This makes it very for me to identify the low pressure tanks from the high pressure tanks when I'm filling them, and seems to last for several years.

Scott (Boydski) Boyd
Sounder
I've Got Gills

Post by Sounder »

That's a good suggestion - I like that. I have 4 tanks, and they're all HP so I just want to be sure that I don't get 3000psi in my 3500psi tanks and lose bottom time - I'm new enough that I can use ALL the gas I can get (hoover).
Nwbrewer
I've Got Gills

Post by Nwbrewer »

I believe at NWSD regular price is $10 NITROX Fills, $12 NITROX rentals.

That's pretty much the only place i get fills anymore.

Jake
Tom Nic
I've Got Gills

Post by Tom Nic »

Bassman and I recently participated in a NW Dive Club 2 tank dive with Deep Sea Charters in Anacortes. Awesome dives, great boat, great service, would do it again in a heartbeat. :supz:

Because Deep Sea advertises on boat air fills Bassman only brought one tank. I brought two. Our LDS typically gives us fills on our 100 HP tanks in the 3500 to 4000 range, taking time to cool them. Since both of us are fairly new divers, (1 year, 60 dives) and not small people, (I know, I know, more excuses... :axe: ) we are somewhat "Hoovers" still, (though we're getting better! \:D/ ) and really appreciate the good fills. On Board they were only able to get Bassman's tank to about 3100 and it dropped considerably when he hit the water. (I beleive that this was due to compressor limitations, NOT the neglect of the one filling the tanks.) If he had realized that would happen he would have brought two tanks. On our second dive I surfaced with about 1200 PSI when we ended our dive because he was around 500. I would have LOVED the extra time to use that 700 PSI!! We were diving Big Cone Island and it was one of the prettiest, most colorful, most life filled dives I've had the pleasure of doing in my short year of diving.

This is NOT a criticism of Deep Sea!!! They are an awesome outfit and I WILL dive with them again. It is simply something to be aware of if you dive HP tanks and are diving anywhere besides your local dive shop. (We had a similar experience diving in Hood Canal.)

Some on this board prefer low pressure tanks for this very reason, i.e. not all places can give good fills with high pressure tanks.

By the way, this is a GREAT reason to spend MANY additional scuba units on accumulating as many different cool tanks as possible!!1 :supz:
Last edited by Tom Nic on Thu Sep 07, 2006 10:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
dsteding
I've Got Gills

Post by dsteding »

thelawgoddess wrote:
dsteding wrote:NWSD has a good deal on nitrox-they have two levels, the first is $125/yr (IIRC) that gets you nitrox for $5/fill, and free air fills. The second is $500/yr for unlimited nitrox fills. I think nitrox is regularly $10.
hmm; you might double-check that. i think nitrox is "regularly" $12 - but maybe it depends on what's getting filled ...
http://nwsportsdivers.com/oxygen_servic ... pricin.htm

Maybe the difference is the rental pricing-are you having your tanks filled or renting?
Sounder
I've Got Gills

Post by Sounder »

Unfortunately I imagine fills on a boat are probably "hot" and would shrink considerably when you hit the water. Lessons learned on bringing your own tanks - one of the best reasons to have so many people to add their 2psi!

I'm still thinking that having a quick-check spg to see my tank psi would be good, but am guessing there are several other "tricks" like filling in the fill pressure with a sharpie... I'll be doing that when I get home tonight.

Uugh, now if I could just get cleared to DIVE!!! ](*,)
thelawgoddess
Pelagic

Post by thelawgoddess »

thanks, dsteding. i was going off of memory of the chart on their wall. doh! thanks for the link. i looked all over their website for pricing before and didn't find that ...
"Life without passion is life without depth."~J.Hollis
my FLICKR photo sets
Pinkpadigal
I've Got Gills

Post by Pinkpadigal »

Okay...I am going to sound like a bad guy but I have spoken to tank manufactures and compressor companies and here is information and suggestions they have given me. So, please don't shoot the messenger.

First, over filling your tanks is BAD. It can cut the life of your tank and cause damage to O-rings and neck. Putting a tank in water after filling it is also hard on the metal and unless the tank is completely submerged, it doesn't do any good. The top of the tank just gets hotter. Many of the LDS and boats compressors only go to 3500psi. (FYI...my compressor hits 4400psi but I only have air) No one likes a short fill including people filling your tanks if someone doesn't get the gas they paid for.

Here is my suggestion to getting the most out of a tank fill.

Ask your LDS or Boat how high they can pump your tank to and know their policy about overfilling tanks. Many of us (LDS Owners) do not fill past 10% of the tanks capacity.(3000 PSI = 3300 max fill) So, drop off your tank after your dive and pick it up a few hours later or the next day. The tank will be filled slowly and then can cool off and be topped off later. If your tank is warm when you bring it in, you will get a hot fill, so let it cool first. If you do put a tank in water, make sure the water is 53-55 degrees (same as the Sound) and fill your tank while in water. If the water is room temp, it doesn't do any good. When you pick up your tank, check it before you leave the store. Do not leave tanks in a hot vehicle or in the sun.

Okay...I will get off my soap box. I hope this info helps!
Amy Rhodes
PADI Master Instructor #183890
A-2-Z Scuba Instruction
http://www.a2zscuba.com