can light mounting on Zeagle Tech

Need advice on recreational gear configurations? Look no further than this equipment forum.
renoun
I've Got Gills

can light mounting on Zeagle Tech

Post by renoun »

So I got a Halcyon 10W HID to play with. Right now I am diving a Zeagle Tech. Anybody got a bright idea on where to stick the can?

I am thinking about trying to mount it between the bladder and the waist/coverbund.
"Just to be clear, doing the Diamond Knot requires at the minimum double IPAs to be DIR." - MattleyCrue
"Mmmm....... Oreos!
They didn't look too good when I was spitting in my mask for dive #2!" - cardiver
Grateful Diver
I've Got Gills

Re: can light mounting on Zeagle Tech

Post by Grateful Diver »

One suggestion is replacing the Halcyon mounting strap (that little piece of webbing held in place with the two hose clamps) with a slightly longer one that'll fit over the buckle on your waist strap ... I'd recommend mounting on the upper strap, since the weight pockets will put it pretty far forward if you mount it on the lower one.

I've also seen people mount them on the lower tank cam band ... but that'll make the cord too short to allow you to switch hands with the light.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)
Threats and ultimatums are never the best answer. Public humiliation via Photoshop is always better - airsix

Come visit me at http://www.nwgratefuldiver.com/
Tom Nic
I've Got Gills

Post by Tom Nic »

Grateful Diver wrote:I've also seen people mount them on the lower tank cam band ... but that'll make the cord too short to allow you to switch hands with the light.
Yup and Yup. I dive a Zeagle Tec as well. Bob was kind enough to let me use his Salvo 12 W can light this week, and I did the above. It worked fine, but there was only one place the light could be held - I like a little more flexibility.
Grateful Diver wrote:One suggestion is replacing the Halcyon mounting strap (that little piece of webbing held in place with the two hose clamps) with a slightly longer one that'll fit over the buckle on your waist strap ... I'd recommend mounting on the upper strap, since the weight pockets will put it pretty far forward if you mount it on the lower one.
This is where I mount my Nite-Rider and it works well. Probably should work for your can light as well.

Of course, I'd really rather just get a BP&W, but it's down the priority list of scuba unit expenditures, somewhere underneath a Weezle Extreme Plus and some Vancouver Island diving! \:D/
More Pics Than You Have Time To Look AT
"Anyone who thinks this place is over moderated is bat-crazy anarchist." -Ben, Airsix
"Warning: No dive masters are going to be there, Just a bunch of old fat guys taking pictures of fish." -Bassman
divemaster08
Avid Diver

Post by divemaster08 »

i dive a ranger and i mount it on the uper tank cam band, this gives you a few more inches of cord. works fine for me, just have your buddy strike the switch as you enter the water.
Tomorrow is the best time saver of today…
renoun
I've Got Gills

Post by renoun »

Thanks for the suggestions. I tried several configurations last night. I didn't like the can on the cam-band behind the wing or slung from the cam bands in front of the wing. I tried using quick links to attach it to existing hardware on the waist straps but didn't like how it worked out.

I ended up seizing pairs of stainless rings through the d-ring attachments and attaching the quick links to the rings. This places the can just forward and above my right hip where I can reach the switch. It flops around a bit but wasn't bothersome when I was in the water. I loved the goodman handle and the light was great too.
P1010429.JPG
"Just to be clear, doing the Diamond Knot requires at the minimum double IPAs to be DIR." - MattleyCrue
"Mmmm....... Oreos!
They didn't look too good when I was spitting in my mask for dive #2!" - cardiver