Why do you LOVE SCUBA DIVING

General banter about diving and why we love it.

I love SCUBA DIVING because......

Poll ended at Tue Jan 27, 2009 9:52 am

It requires expensive equipment
4%
Of all the interesting people I meet
22%
Skydiving scares the crap out of me
2%
I love to look at the pretty fishies
15%
Exploration and Adventure baby!
33%
I love the danger, I'm an adrenaline junky
No votes
It gets me away from my significant other
2%
I was a fish in a former life
5%
I wanted to be an Astronaut, this is the next best thing
7%
None of the above, I'll write in my answer
11%

Total votes: 55

Pez7378
I've Got Gills

Why do you LOVE SCUBA DIVING

Post by Pez7378 »

Sometimes it seems we recycle the same old posts again and again and it's nice to do something different once in awhile. Let's talk about why we love SCUBA diving...... Again :evil4: I've put together a Poll, for those that don't like to write much. You can select up to 2 options, but if your reason isn't included in the poll, choose #10 and tell us why you love to Scuba Dive!
Sockmonkey
I've Got Gills

Re: Why do you LOVE SCUBA DIVING

Post by Sockmonkey »

• Meditative
  • Escapist
  • Better than going to any house of worship
  • Community minded
  • Never fails to put a smile on my face. I'm always happier getting out of the water than I was going in.
"I used to do this for fun, but now, I do it for nothing" -Not Joshua Smith

:eric: Hawaiian Seamonkey Blog
Nwbrewer
I've Got Gills

Post by Nwbrewer »

I lack the ability to fly. Diving comes close.
Pez7378
I've Got Gills

Post by Pez7378 »

Hmm, now that I think about it this is just like your top ten list isn't it? Oh well, let it roll!
Jaksonbrown
Amphibian

Post by Jaksonbrown »

My phone does not ring underwater......
mz53480
I've Got Gills

Post by mz53480 »

I like the solitude of being underwater, the relaxation and taking/sharing video of the dives.
It's a whole other world that many people don't know about, but should.
:fish:
MZ
...I like going to the chamber.. They have great food there, and awsome live music "H20doctor"
Check out the VIDEOS!
Norris
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Post by Norris »

Hiking, camping, and just plain adventuring has helped me to see what the above water world has to offer. It seemed that this was almost par for the course for me to see more this "world" has to offer.
**Pinch it, don't stick your finger through. You're just pinching a bigger hole.
CAPTNJACK - 2012**
Sockmonkey
I've Got Gills

Post by Sockmonkey »

Pez7378 wrote:Hmm, now that I think about it this is just like your top ten list isn't it? Oh well, let it roll!
It ended up being top 50 list... and more.

This is equally t-shirt worthy tho.

-Eric
"I used to do this for fun, but now, I do it for nothing" -Not Joshua Smith

:eric: Hawaiian Seamonkey Blog
Joshua Smith
I've Got Gills

Post by Joshua Smith »

I selected "people" and "adventure." Diving completely changed my life. I've made some lifelong friends doing this, for which I am eternally greatful.

Diving is an obsession, for sure, but a healthy one, I think. I've had sublime, transcendant, moments underwater that I can't compare to anything else in my life. Diving gives me something that I don't think I could get anywhere else. And it has also taught me a lot about myself, somehow.
Maritime Documentation Society

"To venture into the terrible loneliness, one must have something greater than greed. Love. One needs love for life, for intrigue, for mystery."
Joshua Smith
I've Got Gills

Post by Joshua Smith »

Also- I'm happy to see nobody has checked "I love the danger, I'm an adrenalline junkie". I guess Tom Nic hasn't seen this thread yet? :smt064

"To venture into the terrible loneliness, one must have something greater than greed. Love. One needs love for life, for intrigue, for mystery."
LCF
I've Got Gills

Post by LCF »

Why I love diving:

You see more wildlife in an hour of diving than in days of hiking.
The people who dive are great.
It gives me an excuse to travel to some really cool places.
Diving turned me on to a whole bunch of new stuff to read and learn and talk about.
There's no experience in my life quite like hovering, absolutely motionless in the water, free to move in three dimensions.

And finally, I'm addicted because I'm bad at it and I have to work my tail off for my skills, and anything that I have to work at becomes infinitely fascinating.
"Sometimes, when your world is going sideways, the second best thing to everything working out right, is knowing you are loved..." ljjames
spatman
I've Got Gills

Post by spatman »

i dive because i've always loved the water

i dive because of the peace and tranquility.

i dive because it's humbling.

i dive because it pushes personal boundaries and skills.

i dive because there is always more to learn.

i dive because of the quick camaraderie it creates among divers.

i dive because it makes me part of a small privileged percentage that can access places others will never go.
Grateful Diver
I've Got Gills

Post by Grateful Diver »

'Cuz if I didn't dive I wouldn't know any of you ... :supz:

... Bob (Grateful Diver)
Threats and ultimatums are never the best answer. Public humiliation via Photoshop is always better - airsix

Come visit me at http://www.nwgratefuldiver.com/
Tom Nic
I've Got Gills

Post by Tom Nic »

Joshua Smith wrote:Also- I'm happy to see nobody has checked "I love the danger, I'm an adrenalline junkie". I guess Tom Nic hasn't seen this thread yet? :smt064
Oh yeah. That's me all right. Danger Danger Will Robinson. :toimonster:

Heck, I was the only one to like the pretty fishies till only a little while ago. :fish:
More Pics Than You Have Time To Look AT
"Anyone who thinks this place is over moderated is bat-crazy anarchist." -Ben, Airsix
"Warning: No dive masters are going to be there, Just a bunch of old fat guys taking pictures of fish." -Bassman
Joshua Smith
I've Got Gills

Post by Joshua Smith »

Glad to hear you're not doing those 320' bounce dives on air w/ a half-full AL80 anymore, Tom! :axe:

Tom Nic
I've Got Gills

Post by Tom Nic »

Joshua Smith wrote:Glad to hear you're not doing those 320' bounce dives on air w/ a half-full AL80 anymore, Tom! :axe:
Couldn't take the peer pressure. Can't stand to have people mad at me or say bad things about me on the internet. :smt032
More Pics Than You Have Time To Look AT
"Anyone who thinks this place is over moderated is bat-crazy anarchist." -Ben, Airsix
"Warning: No dive masters are going to be there, Just a bunch of old fat guys taking pictures of fish." -Bassman
spatman
I've Got Gills

Post by spatman »

Tom Nic wrote:
Joshua Smith wrote:Glad to hear you're not doing those 320' bounce dives on air w/ a half-full AL80 anymore, Tom! :axe:
Couldn't take the peer pressure. Can't stand to have people mad at me or say bad things about me on the internet. :smt032
last monday, tried to get tom to bounce to 180' on a full al80, and he dug his heels in and said NO. he must really hate internet slander. :violent1:
airsix
I've Got Gills

Post by airsix »

Really it's three things for me: 1. Exploration/Adventure, 2. Admire nature, 3. Great people.

1 and 2 are the foundation, but 3 is also very important. I have found that something very significant happens when I combine certain people with certain experiences. As if the relationship is fused together by the shared adventure. I've found that it magnifies my experience tremendously. If I've shared an adventure with you it puts you in a special class above other friends and acquaintances.

I used to do most of my recreation alone, but now that it's relatively easy to find like-minded friends I seem to always want it to be a shared experience. I don't enjoy the sharing if the parties are mismatched, but if everyone involved is 'in sync' it's just awesome.

-Ben
"The place looked like a washing machine full of Josh's carharts. I was not into it." --Sockmonkey
Jabberjaw
Dive-aholic

Post by Jabberjaw »

Hello, my name is Greg and I'm a SCUBAHOLIC and I have been addicted since I was 14. :occasion5:
Got Water?
Penopolypants
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Post by Penopolypants »

Alternate reality without the use of drugs or alchohol.
Come to the nerd side, we have pi!
LCF
I've Got Gills

Post by LCF »

Oh, and I forgot to mention that the experience of swimming through spectacularly decorated rooms, in crystalline water, and knowing you're one of the very few people in the entire world ever to have seen what you are seeing, is totally intoxicating.

Wet rocks, man. They're where it's at.
"Sometimes, when your world is going sideways, the second best thing to everything working out right, is knowing you are loved..." ljjames
spatman
I've Got Gills

Post by spatman »

Penopolypants wrote:Alternate reality without the use of drugs or alchohol.
ok, either you never took the drugs i took, or you have much different dives than i do!
bnboly
Submariner

Post by bnboly »

I love diving because of the beautiful people and all the wonderful places you can travel to for diving.
It's not broken - it's just missing duct tape!
cardiver
I've Got Gills

Post by cardiver »

bnboly wrote:I love diving because of the beautiful people and all the wonderful places you can travel to for diving.
I didn't know that you felt that way, Bill........ :la:
-Ron T.
"When I'm 80 I'll take up real diving, which is done in a pub..." Ray Ives.
253-227-0856
My Dive Pics...
https://www.facebook.com/RETOPPPHOTOGRAPHY
Kalatin
Dive-aholic

Post by Kalatin »

I have multiple things going on in my brain all the time. It always seems like life gives me 53 things that I have to think about RIGHT THAT MINUTE. I have always wanted to develop an inner sense of calm, without all the internal "noise." I tried meditation, exercise, and quite a bit of alcohol, but I never found it until I started diving. My frenetic brain shuts up when I go diving and there is a sense of peace that takes over. If that was the only benefit, I would be hooked. You add in great friends, fantastic fish, and the general cool factor and I am an addict.
"Another marathon, rush hour trek to foolishly compress myself and risk bodily harm and/or death to look at fishies!!! I love it!" - Casey B.
"The circle of life is a bitch when you're hungry." - Sockmonkey