Freecycle

This forum is for all other types of chatter, including non-SCUBA stuff.
Sockmonkey
I've Got Gills

Freecycle

Post by Sockmonkey »

Has anyone heard of this yahoo group called Freecycle? I'm usually late the party so I wouldn't be surprised if everyone has. There seems to be a chapter everywhere.

I'm in the midst of a purge of my worldly goods and there's just some stuff that people won't buy on Craigslist. A friend suggested Freecycle. People just offer stuff for free and other folks come and pick it up. It's just that easy.

Some dude came and picked up a dozen half full boxes of drywall and deck screws from me. How random is that?

I feel so much better about giving stuff away than dumping it in the trash where it gets shipped off to a landfill. I'm ever so motivated after reading Garbage Land about where stuff goes after the garbage dudes pick it up. The book is part memoir, part fairly journalistic, and part just fun facts. And I'm no tree hugger either... just someone with a guilty conscience.

I highly recommend freecycle... and if you like non-fiction check out the book Garbage Land.

-Eric
"I used to do this for fun, but now, I do it for nothing" -Not Joshua Smith

:eric: Hawaiian Seamonkey Blog
BigFameOne
Compulsive Diver

Re: Freecycle

Post by BigFameOne »

Good for you, I had never heard of it but it is like the adage says "One mans junk is another mans treasure". Just shoot me a heads up before you throw any dive related stuff on there. \:D/
"Cave is cave. Tech is when you can't get out when you want to."-LCF
Kalatin
Dive-aholic

Post by Kalatin »

I have freecycled immense quantities of stuff. I seem to move every two years or so (not nearly as often as Eric though), so there is always stuff to move out. I remember thinking that no one would want the extremely creepy statue that I found in the equally creepy basement of my house, but lo and behold it got picked up within about 30 minutes of posting. Same thing for the bent tire rims, bag of avocado green yarn, giant bag of old bottle caps and other assorted crap that the prior owners had piled up in various rooms. Go figure. Check it out if you are clearing out the house. If nothing else, it is a fascinating social experiment.
"Another marathon, rush hour trek to foolishly compress myself and risk bodily harm and/or death to look at fishies!!! I love it!" - Casey B.
"The circle of life is a bitch when you're hungry." - Sockmonkey
spatman
I've Got Gills

Post by spatman »

i had never heard of freecycle, but the portland listserv is about to behold the wonders of my basement!

thanks for posting, monkeyman.
LCF
I've Got Gills

Post by LCF »

Oh, this is so timely, as I gaze befuddledly at the enormous, antique microwave (which works) which is occupying a good portion of the counter space that I want to add to my scuba gear maintenance and repair space.

We have TONS of things that simply aren't saleable, but need to go away, most of which are perfectly functional but not very desirable (like the 1983 Ford Econoline van that lurks behind the horse trailer). It's great to have an idea of how to get rid of some of it!
"Sometimes, when your world is going sideways, the second best thing to everything working out right, is knowing you are loved..." ljjames
Scubak
I've Got Gills

Post by Scubak »

I love freecycle...
I just post what I want to give away...before it goes to Goodwill or the landfill.
Most times it gets picked up within a few hours.
Try it, you will really like it...
K
"Let's go diving!"