Another Sund Rock Dive - 2/9/09

Tell us your tale of coming nose-to-nose with a 6 gill [--this big--], or about your vacation to turquoise warm waters. Share your adventures here!
Tom Nic
I've Got Gills

Another Sund Rock Dive - 2/9/09

Post by Tom Nic »

Seems like we've had a bunch of Sund reports in the last few days - here's another to add to the mix! Made plans for 4 NWDiveclubbers to hit Sund on Monday - unfortunately Wylerbear was still having sinus probs, and Cardiver had to bail, so Bnboly and I made the trek ourselves, meeting up at Hoodsportndive bright and early to pick up the key. Though everything did not go as planned it was a good day of diving, one that I needed after a very busy week!

Pics from the dive are here .

Sund was it's usual beautiful self, and after a busy weekend the parking lot was "Monday empty"! I threw up a little canopy because of forcast rain (which of course never materialized).

We geared up and walked to the South entry, deciding to try the South Wall after the reports of Octo City we had been reading here on the board. Bill was messing with new dry gloves, and of course Murphy struck right out of the gate and one of them was leaking as we were putting our fins on. ](*,) Bill decided to give it a go because it wasn't too bad and the walk back to the vehicle was more trouble than it was worth, so we kicked out a few feet and dropped. Viz was the expected 10' or so with lots of particulate in the water. Oh well, maybe sometime this Winter we'll get an "aquarium dive" at Sund - but the life here makes these dives worth it even when the viz is crummy!

Right away the reports of the Octos were confirmed as true! We saw 8-10 GPO's, and that was without looking carefully - a couple of them were BIG! I'm sure there were more.

I've got to tell you about my experience with the first one... I moved gently to it's den to snap a pic or two. I'm always careful not to poke around and disturb them just to "see if they'll come out"... many do, and to each their own, but I'd just as soon interact with this amazing creature on it's own terms. I took a pic and stopped for a moment, and as I was focusing for the next one I noticed a tentacle moving my direction. As quick as it takes to write the sentence 3 feet of tentacle had bridged the gap between us and I could feel the suckers gently grasping my glove. I held still, and after he had "tasted" me for a moment and determined I was neither edible nor otherwise interesting he withdrew his tentacle back in his den. Those of you who have had this experience know how amazing it is - I don't want to get all spooky or corny, but this simple "connection" with a very intelligent and wondrous creature is one of the many reasons I love diving!

Of course there were Ling Cod on nests here and there, although not as many as I had expected. This first pic I think is a female - mainly because it wasn't guarding eggs! The second pic is of a precocious little male Ling Cod guarding a clutch of eggs that was larger than he was!! How did this little guy get put in charge of such a BIG bunch of eggs? Perhaps even among Ling Cod size isn't everything?

As I kept an eye on the brave little Papa Ling, I noticed a small gray patch under the rock it was by - sure sign of an old girl octo tending her own eggs. The Papa Ling and I kept a wary eye on each other as I circled the rock and dropped down to visit the Octo nursery. There wasn't a really good view, but I could just make out some of her eggs - carefully attached to the ceiling of the den where she is living out the rest of her relatively short days being a good Mama to the next generation.

There was the usual scattering of critters on the wall and tucked here and there. We surfaced after 77 minutes on the wall in 43 degree water, and I was COLD!! Here's a couple more pics from the first dive.

We walked up to our vehicles to find Blackwater and his doubles waiting for a dive buddy. Since he also had had a buddy cancelation we invited him to join us for our next dive, but first, time to WARM UP! Bill fired up the grill for a couple of between dive hot dogs, and also fired up the Honda and cranked the heater full blast. It took more than an hour for us to get our cores warmed up to the point where it was safe to go back in the water. The three of us geared up, walked in the water and swam out to the buoy at the start of the North Wall. We had dropped to about 25 fsw when Bill gave me the "Oh Crap" signal and pointed at his gloves - still leaking. :axe: After a quick thumb and making sure that everyone was OK Bill aborted and Blackwater and I commenced our zig zag profile of the North Wall. One of the ways I like to dive this wall is to follow the bottom contour North down the Wall, mess around in the boulders at the base (usually good for an octo or three and Wolf Eel), then zig zag along the face of the wall in about 10 to 15 fsw increments, "combing" the wall all the way up into the fish bowl before finishing the dive at the entrance.

This is a GREAT way to dive the wall - IF you're a photographer. We had warned Blackwater that he was diving with photogs, and since he was still a willing victim, ...er buddy, I mean, he got to experience "death by photographer", working on his trim in doubles while I zigged and zagged the wall taking pictures. Good 60 minute dive, and thanks for being a good sport Bric!

Here's a few pics from the dive.

All in all a great day of diving. Now, if you made it this far - here's a little treat. This little Shitzu is the latest watchdog at Hoodsportndive - the cutest little guy you've ever seen! Thanks for reading, and best regards, Tom Nic.

More Pics Than You Have Time To Look AT
"Anyone who thinks this place is over moderated is bat-crazy anarchist." -Ben, Airsix
"Warning: No dive masters are going to be there, Just a bunch of old fat guys taking pictures of fish." -Bassman
BASSMAN
I've Got Gills

Re: Another Sund Rock Dive - 2/9/09

Post by BASSMAN »

Great Pictures! Wish I could of dove this one with you guys. "Stupid Job! ](*,) " Wait?... I need the job for scuba units...So, yeah. :smt024 :violent1: "
I'm looking fwd to hitting Sund soon! :supz:

Also, great report Tom! =D>
Hi, my name is Keith, and I'm a Dive Addict! :supz:
Bric Martin
Aquanaut

Post by Bric Martin »

Tom and Bill

Thanks for letting me tag along!! I learned today today that if I am diving with you guys then dry gloves are a must, my hands can't take 77 minute dives. I am looking forward to Three Tree.

Bric

PS. Nice pictures of tha dog!!
Bric Martin

Save the Oceans, Save Ourselves!
RIP LCF
https://goo.gl/photos/tSdZZHXf4xejLBSz5
https://goo.gl/photos/fTCN7LuFvxWYF11e8
WylerBear
I've Got Gills

Post by WylerBear »

Tom, Looks like you had a couple of good dives. Too cold for a third? I know after diving last week that it would be hard for me to do a third even if I had the time. I really hate that I couldn't dive with you yesterday but it was a good call-I'm feeling marginally better today. Really think equalizing would have been a big problem.
Great pics! Hope to get to dive with you soon.
Georgia

NOT diving is NOT an option
spatman
I've Got Gills

Post by spatman »

great write-up and photos, tom! thanks for taking the time to post.

:partyman:
Kalatin
Dive-aholic

Post by Kalatin »

Thanks for the report Tom - I always love your write-ups. The photos are great and your critter descriptions always makes me smile. Next best thing to actually being there.
"Another marathon, rush hour trek to foolishly compress myself and risk bodily harm and/or death to look at fishies!!! I love it!" - Casey B.
"The circle of life is a bitch when you're hungry." - Sockmonkey
Tom Nic
I've Got Gills

Post by Tom Nic »

blackwater wrote: I learned today today that if I am diving with you guys then dry gloves are a must, my hands can't take 77 minute dives. I am looking forward to Three Tree.
Nice meeting you as well Bric - and welcome to the wonderful wacky world of diving with underwater shutterbugs! You and my buddy Bassman can start a support group... :-) We'll be happy to show you around TTN or Redondo when you next make it up North from Oregon.
WylerBear wrote: Too cold for a third?
Glad you're doing better Georgia. I would have done a 3rd, but am not willing to solo dive - Bill was done, and so, consequently, was I! It was all good - great day, no reason for me to get greedy!
Kalatin wrote:Thanks for the report Tom - I always love your write-ups. The photos are great and your critter descriptions always makes me smile. Next best thing to actually being there.
Kate, Matt, Keith - thanks for your kind words. I love reading reports where folks take the time to describe their dives. I don't care if I'm diving many times a week, I love reading other's diving adventures!
"Anyone who thinks this place is over moderated is bat-crazy anarchist." -Ben, Airsix
"Warning: No dive masters are going to be there, Just a bunch of old fat guys taking pictures of fish." -Bassman
Scubak
I've Got Gills

Post by Scubak »

Tom,
Thanks for a nice write up on the diving day...
Great pics as always...
I remember my BIG encounter with a GPO at DIW...
The GPO really wanted my light and was "hunting" me...as I was peering into another den...he crawled up my leg, over my shoulder and onto my light...all was well, for a bit. All my dive buddys were watching intently as he engulfed my whole right arm, shoulder and light in my right hand...it wasn't until someone saw my BIG eyes that they helped to get him off of me...
I love Octos...as much as Wolfies...my two favs...except 6gill...
I have to get out to Sund...
When ya gonna have time on a Monday again?
Let me know.
Kirsten
"Let's go diving!"
Tom Nic
I've Got Gills

Post by Tom Nic »

Scubak wrote:Tom,
Thanks for a nice write up on the diving day...
Great pics as always...
I remember my BIG encounter with a GPO at DIW...
The GPO really wanted my light and was "hunting" me...as I was peering into another den...he crawled up my leg, over my shoulder and onto my light...all was well, for a bit. All my dive buddys were watching intently as he engulfed my whole right arm, shoulder and light in my right hand...it wasn't until someone saw my BIG eyes that they helped to get him off of me...
I love Octos...as much as Wolfies...my two favs...except 6gill...
I have to get out to Sund...
When ya gonna have time on a Monday again?
Let me know.
Kirsten
Wow! :smt119 What an amazing experience - although I must admit my heart would be pounding something fierce. I know that some GPO's can be aggressive. The danger would be a reg pulled out of your mouth... or perhaps getting bit? I'm sure about the possibility of the former, the latter is only speculation. I'm wondering what he would have done if your buddies hadn't gotten him off you?

Ironic - the silly "monter-quest" show has been referenced several times on the board - but my experience with GPO's has always been that they are curious and even "gentle" if you don't mess with them. I've read some humorous stories about divers getting into a tug o war with a GPO that took a fancy to a camera strobe. But I still look on them with delight...

We don't typically post our dives in advance, but I'm diving most Mondays and would love to get together at Sund sometime in the next month or so. I'll keep you posted, and thanks for your kind words.
-Tom
CatolicDiver
Frequent Bubbler

Post by CatolicDiver »

Wow, I'll take a Monday off for stuff like this. Please, please let the club know when you go again
Catolic = I worship my cat