Day Island Wall ...

Organize buddy teams, plan shore and boat dives, organize charters... make it happen here!
Grateful Diver
I've Got Gills

Day Island Wall ...

Post by Grateful Diver »

Did a nice 77-minute dive at Day Island Wall with Pete Gelbman last night. Man, it was crowded down there with at least 30 divers in the water. But there was little current, the vis was decent, and there was lots to see ... spotted 11 wolfies, 3 octos, and 3 dogfish along with all the other usual suspects.

Here's a photo show from the dive ...

http://photoshow.comcast.net/watch/Jj3DM6MA

... Bob (Grateful Diver)
Tom Nic
I've Got Gills

Post by Tom Nic »

Great pictures as usual Bob! :prayer:
dsteding
I've Got Gills

Re: Day Island Wall ...

Post by dsteding »

Grateful Diver wrote:Did a nice 77-minute dive at Day Island Wall with Pete Gelbman last night. Man, it was crowded down there with at least 30 divers in the water. But there was little current, the vis was decent, and there was lots to see ... spotted 11 wolfies, 3 octos, and 3 dogfish along with all the other usual suspects.

Here's a photo show from the dive ...

http://photoshow.comcast.net/watch/Jj3DM6MA

... Bob (Grateful Diver)
Nice pics, and a great tally on wolfies, octos and dogfish . . .

Wish I could have joined you. Work had me there late, filing two different briefs . . . someone make it stop, please.
BASSMAN
I've Got Gills

Post by BASSMAN »

Great Pictures Bob! =D> (As always!)

Wow! 77 Minutes? :prayer:
Sounder
I've Got Gills

Post by Sounder »

Yeah - 77 minutes, and he was probably on a LP95! :prayer:

Great pictures Bob! How big were those octos? 10-15lbs?
GUE Seattle - The official GUE Affiliate in the Northwest!
Grateful Diver
I've Got Gills

Post by Grateful Diver »

Sounder wrote:Yeah - 77 minutes, and he was probably on a LP95! :prayer:

Great pictures Bob! How big were those octos? 10-15lbs?
I was on a 119 ... used about 92 cubic feet of gas for the dive.

OK ... so here's a quick quiz for those of you who were at the Gas Management seminar ... 92 CF of gas, 77 minutes, average depth of 54 fsw.

What's the RMV (surface consumption rate in cubic feet/minute)?

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

PS - Those octos were pretty small. The biggest one was maybe the size of a grapefruit.
dsteding
I've Got Gills

Post by dsteding »

Answer (and not to ruin it for others):

About 0.25-0.35 cu feet/min less than what my RMV is.
Aquanautchuck
Pelagic

Post by Aquanautchuck »

Bob: You sure you were even breathing?? \:D/ That like a breath every 15 seconds.
dsteding
I've Got Gills

Post by dsteding »

aquanautchuck wrote:Bob: You sure you were even breathing?? \:D/ That like a breath every 15 seconds.
Indeed it is. For reference, dig up the video of the Six Gill Bob posted on the Six Gill sightings sticky over on northwestdiver. The slow, almost silent breaths are Bob's. The "omigod, that is a big freakin' shark" breaths are mine . . .

I used 90 cubic feet of gas on that dive, Bob used something like 60 or so.

If you look carefully behind that guy's ears, I swear there have to be gills there.
sandman98007
Avid Diver

A great day on the wall....

Post by sandman98007 »

Lee, Kirk, Richard and I arrived at about 7pm. Lee and I buddied up and decided to go south along the wall. We were lucky enough that when we hit about 70', we saw a couple of small octos fighting on the bottom, and low and behold, in a small cavern above the wrestlers, was a big GPO. Is is mating season about now??? She looked great and we sat and watched the little guys tussle and eventually, one went into the cavern with her. Could this be romance??? Hope he did not become dinner. Lee and myself continued on and saw another octo in the open. After 90', we turned the dive and started the ascent. It sure is fun ascending a wall. I love that feel of flying. Did short deco stops every 10 feet and at about 50' on a ledge we found a sailfin sculpin. My first. Got a couple of good shots, but the little guy would not sit still for anything. Met up with our other dive team and and did our 3 minute saftey stop and 20'. Popped up about 10' feet away from our entry point. A fun dive. Max depth was 90' and total bottom time was 56 minutes. Thank you Lee and the critters of Puget Sound.. :supz: :supz: :supz: :supz:

Here is the link to my photo show... please enjoy

http://photoshow.comcast.net/watch/RV6bf5hD
It's ALL good in the world today ......
jeff98208
Aquanaut

hi

Post by jeff98208 »

nice. very nice!
TAKE only pictures, KILL only time, LEAVE only bubbles!
lamont
I've Got Gills

Post by lamont »

dsteding wrote:Answer (and not to ruin it for others):

I got .45:

54 / 33 + 1 = 2.63636 ATA

92 cu ft / ( 77 min * 2.53636 ATA ) = .45320 cu ft / min / ata

(which is about equal to my personal best ever)
dsteding
I've Got Gills

Post by dsteding »

lamont wrote:

I got .45:

54 / 33 + 1 = 2.63636 ATA

92 cu ft / ( 77 min * 2.53636 ATA ) = .45320 cu ft / min / ata

(which is about equal to my personal best ever)
Exactly what I got. My RMV actually dipped below 0.7 recently, people say it happens around 50 dives or so, and I'm approaching that, so I hope it keeps dropping.
lamont
I've Got Gills

Post by lamont »

dsteding wrote:

Exactly what I got. My RMV actually dipped below 0.7 recently, people say it happens around 50 dives or so, and I'm approaching that, so I hope it keeps dropping.
heh, I missed the "less than what my RMV is" part -- remedial reading comprehension 101 for me...
dsteding
I've Got Gills

Post by dsteding »

lamont wrote:
dsteding wrote:

heh, I missed the "less than what my RMV is" part -- remedial reading comprehension 101 for me...
Yeah, I was hiding the ball on the actual answer. What is amazing is that Bob's RMV is almost half of what mine is. I guess that means I should always dive doubles with him . . . which is the next project.
Grateful Diver
I've Got Gills

Post by Grateful Diver »

dsteding wrote:Yeah, I was hiding the ball on the actual answer. What is amazing is that Bob's RMV is almost half of what mine is. I guess that means I should always dive doubles with him . . . which is the next project.
But my bottom time is more than 30 times what yours is ... at the rate you're improving, you'll probably be using less gas than me in a year or two ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)
Last edited by Grateful Diver on Mon Sep 18, 2006 12:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BASSMAN
I've Got Gills

Post by BASSMAN »

Tim!
Great pictures! :supz: And a great dive report to go with them!

I sure would like to dive Day Island with you sometime!

Last weekend in Sept. looks good but ofcourse I can't dive that weekend due to other commitments. :-({|= :-({|= :-({|= ](*,)
dsteding
I've Got Gills

Post by dsteding »

Grateful Diver wrote:But my bottom time is more than 30 times what yours is ... at the rate you're improving, you'll probably be using less gas than me in a year or two ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)
One can only hope . . .

Actually, where I think I have a higher RMV is at the beginning of the dive-it may be inflating the wing and suit initially, but I find that I'm still focussing on trim and buoyancy in the first 10 minutes of the dive before getting settled in. Because of that, I focus less on nice, even, deep, slow breaths, and blow through air in that part of the dive. Second half of the dive--and even accounting for depth--I find I use less air. So, to get my RMV down, my goal is to just remember to breath slow, deep, and even from the get-go.

Okay, hijack over, these pictures are really amazing . . .
lamont
I've Got Gills

Post by lamont »

dsteding wrote:
Grateful Diver wrote:But my bottom time is more than 30 times what yours is ... at the rate you're improving, you'll probably be using less gas than me in a year or two ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)
One can only hope . . .

Actually, where I think I have a higher RMV is at the beginning of the dive-it may be inflating the wing and suit initially, but I find that I'm still focussing on trim and buoyancy in the first 10 minutes of the dive before getting settled in. Because of that, I focus less on nice, even, deep, slow breaths, and blow through air in that part of the dive. Second half of the dive--and even accounting for depth--I find I use less air. So, to get my RMV down, my goal is to just remember to breath slow, deep, and even from the get-go.

Okay, hijack over, these pictures are really amazing . . .
I found I would usually do a lot better on the second dive of the day...

After awhile you just settle down and you're basically good right from the start... Its not something that you can really practice very effectively you just get more experience...