SICK AGAIN

This forum is for all other types of chatter, including non-SCUBA stuff.
Maverick
I've Got Gills

SICK AGAIN

Post by Maverick »

I am sick again, I swear if someone even talks about geting sick, I get sick. I take multi vitamins and wash my hands before i eat and am just catching everything this winter. 3 times in two months and one of the times was 8 days of hell. Anyone else getting sick this year more than once? I hate being sick, puts me in a foul mood. I didn't get the flu shot, never do because it made me sick once, real sick and that was the last time i got it. maybe i should go and get one, i dunno.
Maverick

Diving. . . is an active physical form of meditation. It is so silent- You're like a thought.

SOME PEOPLE ARE LIKE SLINKIES. NOT REALLY GOOD FOR
ANYTHING, BUT THEY BRING A SMILE TO YOUR FACE WHEN PUSHED DOWN THE
STAIRS.
BigFameOne
Compulsive Diver

Re: SICK AGAIN

Post by BigFameOne »

well thanks for the update. :smt064

sorry you are feeling under the wather man.

I think it has been a rough year for illness all over. I know many co-workers are burning through sick pay fast and I had a 5-6 day stint and it was brutal. I tried to man up :naka: and take my medicine :partyman: but I couldn't get rid of the fever :angryfire: I tried everything, airborne, zicam, multi-vitamins etc. No matter what I tried I was like :dontknow: . It sucked man, I hope you get back on track, cause :vom: ain't no fun.
Last edited by BigFameOne on Sat Feb 21, 2009 2:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Cave is cave. Tech is when you can't get out when you want to."-LCF
Dusty2
I've Got Gills

Post by Dusty2 »

Sad, Sorry to hear that. Take care and get well. Much better to be under the water than under the weather.
ArcticDiver
I've Got Gills

Post by ArcticDiver »

Sorry to hear about your illness. Makes me feel even more grateful. I had a year like that awhile back.

But this winter just frostbite in January on the soles of both feet. But other than that and a few owies I've been very fortunate this winter. May some of that visit you, eh?
The only box you have to think outside of is the one you build around yourself.
Kalatin
Dive-aholic

Post by Kalatin »

I am the healthy sort for the most part. Until this year. Three colds since mid-December, including one bout with the death cold that laid me up for several days. I am on the tail end of illness number 3. I think I may begin bathing in hand sanitizer, as the liberal application is just not working this year. I hate being sic - I revert to my five-year-old self. I am off to eat a popsicle and take a nap.
"Another marathon, rush hour trek to foolishly compress myself and risk bodily harm and/or death to look at fishies!!! I love it!" - Casey B.
"The circle of life is a bitch when you're hungry." - Sockmonkey
Ken G
I've Got Gills

Post by Ken G »

Beej I know how you feel. I have been home sick with the flu since Tuesday. I am over the hump but still not feeling myself or up for diving yet. At one point I was up to 102 degrees and whimpering on the couch. It sucks to say the least.

(and I did get a flu shot)

Feel better buddy
Joshua Smith
I've Got Gills

Post by Joshua Smith »

Dude, you're just getting sick because you're weak. You need to man up and get tough. Do a lotta pushups. Run a lot wearing Heavy Boots, and soak your head in ice water before you run- keep your knees as straight as possible when you run, too. Breathe short and shallow. Lift the heaviest stuff you can find, and be sure and keep your knees locked when you do it, otherwise you're just wasting your time.

Nah, I'm kidding- I've been sick a lot this winter, and it sucks. I usually only get sick maybe once a winter, but this year....
Maritime Documentation Society

"To venture into the terrible loneliness, one must have something greater than greed. Love. One needs love for life, for intrigue, for mystery."
Diver_C
Amphibian

Post by Diver_C »

I so know what you feel. Been sick since January 3rd with one thing or the other. As soon as I am getting done with one thing, something else comes along. Towards the end of a cold now. Hoping this is the end for a long time... Good luck Mav!
Maverick
I've Got Gills

Post by Maverick »

Joshua Smith wrote:Dude, you're just getting sick because you're weak. You need to man up and get tough. Do a lotta pushups. Run a lot wearing Heavy Boots, and soak your head in ice water before you run- keep your knees as straight as possible when you run, too. Breathe short and shallow. Lift the heaviest stuff you can find, and be sure and keep your knees locked when you do it, otherwise you're just wasting your time.

Nah, I'm kidding- I've been sick a lot this winter, and it sucks. I usually only get sick maybe once a winter, but this year....

Just took you Advice Josh, ran to my shop and back without bending my knees once ](*,) then i did 150 pushups and tried to lift my fridge without bending my knees. ](*,) I feel great now, but only because everything you told me to do caused my to end up in the ER on a MORPHINE DRIP #-o :supz: . I blew out both knees and have now feeling from my :bootyshake: down. As soon as i get out of the ER your :violent3:

P.S. don't take Josh's advice :violent1:
Maverick

Diving. . . is an active physical form of meditation. It is so silent- You're like a thought.

STAIRS.
Maverick
I've Got Gills

Post by Maverick »

are we 65' deep or 94' deep :evil4: :evil4:
Maverick

STAIRS.
spatman
I've Got Gills

Post by spatman »

you're not eating enough chicken soup, bubbelah. your mother would be verklempt if she knew how run down and sickly you were. what will the neighbors think? that your family can't afford to feed you properly?
Joshua Smith
I've Got Gills

Post by Joshua Smith »

Maverick wrote:are we 65' deep or 94' deep :evil4: :evil4:

That woyld be "Niner-Four."

"To venture into the terrible loneliness, one must have something greater than greed. Love. One needs love for life, for intrigue, for mystery."
kat
Extreme Diving Machine

Post by kat »

not sure if this is the sick you have, but for stuffiness and chest ick, there is a syrup called buckley's. it tastes like :bootyshake: , but it works. i have found it at rite aid. does the trick for me.

http://buckleys.com/index.html
"As long as you get everything tucked into your pants, you are good to go." -wasp7000
Bric Martin
Aquanaut

Post by Bric Martin »

Just took you Advice Josh, ran to my shop and back without bending my knees once then i did 150 pushups and tried to lift my fridge without bending my knees. I feel great now, but only because everything you told me to do caused my to end up in the ER on a MORPHINE DRIP . I blew out both knees and have now feeling from my down. As soon as i get out of the ER your

P.S. don't take Josh's advice

Trust me when I say this has been the best laugh I've had in a couple of days!!!
Bric Martin

Save the Oceans, Save Ourselves!
RIP LCF
https://goo.gl/photos/tSdZZHXf4xejLBSz5
https://goo.gl/photos/fTCN7LuFvxWYF11e8
LCF
I've Got Gills

Post by LCF »

Sorry you're sick. I hated colds before I learned to dive, but now I view them as devil's spawn.

Regarding the flu shot, though -- It's only good to protect you from true influenza. The vast majority of respiratory illnesses we suffer in winter (or in summer, for that matter) are not influenza. Influenza is marked by high fever, cough, minimal to no head congestion or sore throat, and prominent bone and muscle aches. It's most often seen in epidemics, where a lot of people are sick with the same symptoms, although it can occur sporadically. Getting a flu shot won't help you against winter colds.

A lot of people have studied a variety of approaches to bolstering the immune system against viral illnesses, and nothing has come out to be compelling. Some people swear by zinc, others by echinacea, but the good, objective studies just aren't there.
"Sometimes, when your world is going sideways, the second best thing to everything working out right, is knowing you are loved..." ljjames
Maverick
I've Got Gills

Post by Maverick »

I had full blown Influenza 6 weeks ago, was sick for 8 days wth fever, chills, muscle spasms, full body aches, and head throbing like no other, plus an upset stomach, and sore throat, a raging sore throat. now i just have a cold, a head cold, and slightly tired.
Maverick

STAIRS.
BASSMAN
I've Got Gills

Post by BASSMAN »

kat wrote:it tastes like :bootyshake: , but it works. i have found it at rite aid. does the trick for me.

http://buckleys.com/index.html
I don't care who you are ! That there is just plain Funny :laughing3: :laughing3: :laughing3:

BJ,Hope you get better soon!
Mouse is working for a kids party place type job and is always bringing some sort of kid germ home with her. :vom:
I try to keep plenty of Airborn, Echinatia(sp) Root or Zicam in the house. As soon as I witness any sign of sickness in my house, I start loading up on whatever I can get my hands on. No flu shot for me. [-X
I have been sick for only a couple of days this year. Lucky me (Knocking on wood right now).
Now if I could find a miricle "Replace the disc in my back" pill! ](*,)
Good thing, diving helps my back pain :supz:
:toimonster:

Let me know when your ready for that "100 ft Rock dive, on a Thursday" :smt064
Hi, my name is Keith, and I'm a Dive Addict! :supz:
bob
Avid Diver

Post by bob »

hey maveric! sorry to hear your not feeling well :vom:. .When they give you the flu shot your getting the flu bug to strengthen your imune system go figure :smt064 .I am going up to hood canal this weekend (29th )to visit my brother! and will be diving octo hole!!!!you dove with my friend tony and i could not dive due to ear issues.
hope you get better :supz:.
Maverick
I've Got Gills

Post by Maverick »

bob wrote:hey maveric! sorry to hear your not feeling well :vom:. .When they give you the flu shot your getting the flu bug to strengthen your imune system go figure :smt064 .I am going up to hood canal this weekend (29th )to visit my brother! and will be diving octo hole!!!!you dove with my friend tony and i could not dive due to ear issues.
hope you get better :supz:.
is tony sparky's friend, the big guy?
Maverick

STAIRS.
RDW
Aquaphile

Post by RDW »

Lemme get this straight...
Mav/BJ says he took Josh's advice and is now on a morphine drip...OK.
What's the down side here? On a drip, watchin' weird videos...killin' time in the internet.
'Ol Romer T/Dan has it too. He's already admitted to chuggin' Nyquil and tequila. WhooHoo!
It's all just mind over matter...If'n you don't mind, then it don't matter.

Hey! Get well soon. I expect you to be doin' squat thrusts while wearing D-130's in a day or so
Randy Williams

"Man who say it cannot be done should not bother man who is doing it."
Maverick
I've Got Gills

Post by Maverick »

RDW wrote:
Hey! Get well soon. I expect you to be doin' squat thrusts while wearing D-130's in a day or so
:naka:
Maverick

STAIRS.
Romer Treece
Pelagic

Post by Romer Treece »

I feel like how Randy looks. (avatar). :smt119
Joshua Smith
I've Got Gills

Post by Joshua Smith »

Have you been doing the Coca-Cola enemas and eating nothing but cans of Stag Chile and Oreo cookies like I told you to, BJ? It's holistic, you know- you gotta do the whole program, or you're just gonna keep getting sick.......

BASSMAN
I've Got Gills

Post by BASSMAN »

Joshua Smith wrote:Have you been doing the Coca-Cola enemas and eating nothing but cans of Stag Chile and Oreo cookies like I told you to, BJ? It's holistic, you know- you gotta do the whole program, or you're just gonna keep getting sick.......
BJ,
Josh is such a good friend, you should be glad to have a friend who cares soooooo mouch!

Now where's that Coke?
Hi, my name is Keith, and I'm a Dive Addict! :supz:
Tangfish
NWDC Mascot
NWDC Mascot

Post by Tangfish »

He's been using the wrong size, 16 oz., you need at least a 2L. :toimonster: