Dive Log Template

General banter about diving and why we love it.
Tom Nic
I've Got Gills

Dive Log Template

Post by Tom Nic »

Does anyone have a generic dive log template in Word or Excel or another fairly accessible program that they wouldn't mind sharing? Or know where I can find one?

Before I design my own it would be nice to see if any others have done any work on one.

I'm interested in one that fits the standard log you get in Open Water - Padi at least. What I'd like to do is redesign it a bit - perhaps replace the pressure group stuff with Reef Fish ID stuff.

I did a quick search on this and coudn't find anything that's already been posted.

Thanks in advance.

-Tom
More Pics Than You Have Time To Look AT
"Anyone who thinks this place is over moderated is bat-crazy anarchist." -Ben, Airsix
"Warning: No dive masters are going to be there, Just a bunch of old fat guys taking pictures of fish." -Bassman
Joshua Smith
I've Got Gills

Re: Dive Log Template

Post by Joshua Smith »

Tom- here's the format I use- pretty simple- all you have to do is circle the answers that apply!

Did you go diving?

-yes (high five!)

-no

Water?

-cold

-not too bad (yeah. Right.)

Visibility?

-yes

-no

If "YES", estimate it in feet

-less than 4 feet

-more than 4 feet (high five!)

Did you see stuff?

-mostly just the crap in the water, and my guages.

-Yes, fish, and other junk- write in names, or draw pictures in margin. (note- for each GPO, double estimated size/ weight. For each 6 gill, multiply length, in feet, by a factor of 3.)

Equipment failures?

-Not this time(knock on wood)

-MY @#&^*$#ING (light/computer/drysuit) crapped out on me AGAIN!

Air Consumption

-Surfaced with at least 500 psi remaining

-as we tied off our 800'reel of cave line, preparing for an epic penetration dive on the Honey Bear, I realized I had hit 1/6th in my 2xHP130's, signalled my buddy, and we shot a bag before we did a controlled ascent to the surface

-Breathed it down to nothing and shot for the surface, forgot I even had that spare air duct taped to my fin! (why do my legs feel so tingly?)

-AIR?

What are you doing next week?

-Diving, duh. (high five!)

-DO YOU KNOW HOW MUCH THE SHOP IS GONNA CHARGE ME TO FIX MY (Light/Computer/Drysuit)????!!!!
Maritime Documentation Society

"To venture into the terrible loneliness, one must have something greater than greed. Love. One needs love for life, for intrigue, for mystery."
Stu
Aquaphile

Post by Stu »

If you do a google image search for 'dive log'. You should end up with a few to choose from. Then you maybe you couldtake one of the REEF pages and size it fit on the page as well.
Last edited by Stu on Tue Mar 03, 2009 6:36 pm, edited 2 times in total.
mattwave
Amphibian

Post by mattwave »

:laughing3: =D> nice one josh
"Scuba Like You Love It!"
Let's go diving
Tom Nic
I've Got Gills

Post by Tom Nic »

Nice Josh!

I've done the Google route and found a few examples but none I like.

I'll probably try and design one in Microsoft Publisher, take out what I don't currently use, and add a place for Reef data. Seems like a log page that had places designed for Reef surveys might have use beyond just myself.
"Anyone who thinks this place is over moderated is bat-crazy anarchist." -Ben, Airsix
"Warning: No dive masters are going to be there, Just a bunch of old fat guys taking pictures of fish." -Bassman
Tangfish
NWDC Mascot
NWDC Mascot

Post by Tangfish »

I have one that I designed from scratch in Illustrator. It's already set up for printing so that you can log 8 dives on each 8.5X11 piece of card stock. You have them cut in half and holes drilled and they fit perfectly into most day planners/3 ring dive logs.

Shoot me an email to remind me and I'll send it to you from my home computer.
Nwbrewer
I've Got Gills

Post by Nwbrewer »

Here's the simple one that I use. I just do everything electronically in MS Excel. I record the data I want, and fill in any cool critters, temp vis, lethality of dive buddies, etc on the right. I track the number in my computer so I can go look at the profile or whatever if need be.

I keep a tab for every year, and one that calculates my RMV.

You're welcome to it if you want it.

Jake

Sounder
I've Got Gills

Post by Sounder »

"Joe tried to bend me" is one of the regular boxes you'll want so you can just "check it" when it happens - writing the whole thing out time after time gets old and tiresome.
GUE Seattle - The official GUE Affiliate in the Northwest!
Nwbrewer
I've Got Gills

Post by Nwbrewer »

I should probably just add that as a cell.....
BigFameOne
Compulsive Diver

Post by BigFameOne »

Poor Joe...
"Cave is cave. Tech is when you can't get out when you want to."-LCF
Tom Nic
I've Got Gills

Post by Tom Nic »

Thanks Jake - I'd appreciate it. Can you email it to me?

I'm torn between designing one that I can print out, or between using excel so that I can have it do running calcs for me in the process. It's easier for me to design in Publisher because I've had lots of experience in the program, but that would only be a print version. I know that you can do forms pretty much anyway you'd like in Excel as well, I'm just not as well versed in form design in excel so it would take me a bit longer. Plus I do download my dives into my Oceanic software, so I kind of already have an electronic log and am really looking more at just a paper log. But.... Anyway, I'm giving myself a headache. ](*,) Maybe I should just use Josh's log!

Also, I'm really wanting to design a log pg for PNW Reef survey recording - haven't seen one, but I think it shouldn't be too hard.

Thanks for all your responses so far.
Tom Nic
I've Got Gills

Post by Tom Nic »

OK, here's what I've come up with so far. My criteria was that I wanted it to fit my current log book, don't need all the pressure group data, etc, so I basically customized it to include what I want.

This should work for my Bonaire trip. Now my thought is that I want to create one for PNW diving that has a Reef survey page on the right hand side of form, allowing me to do my survey in my log book at the dive site.

Scuba Jon
Just Settling In

Post by Scuba Jon »

I setr mine up in a data base program. I can do searches for specific things (Where I found the xxx fish, when I used Nitrox or whatever) or I can print out two (could be more) different versions of my dive log (Short & full). I have been using it for the last 1300+ dives and it is working great!
lurch
Compulsive Diver

Post by lurch »

I played around with the table function in word until I had something I liked. I can fit 3 dives to a page and since I just found out my printer can print double-sided (without feeding the paper through twice) I'm happy.

I put a bunch of those pages along with the users manual for my computer in a 3-ring binder and the NAUI tables for good measure.
spatman
I've Got Gills

Post by spatman »

Tom Nic wrote:OK, here's what I've come up with so far. My criteria was that I wanted it to fit my current log book, don't need all the pressure group data, etc, so I basically customized it to include what I want.

This should work for my Bonaire trip. Now my thought is that I want to create one for PNW diving that has a Reef survey page on the right hand side of form, allowing me to do my survey in my log book at the dive site.
good work, tom! i might have to borrow your idea and make one myself. i never use that pressure groups stuff anymore, either...
Dmitchell
Perma Narc'd

Post by Dmitchell »

Mine's just a google document's spreadsheet. That way I can access it anywhere.

Fields :

Date
Place
Depth
Time
Purpose
OC or CC
Notes

That's all I keep, more than I used too!

Keeping a logbook for 2009 was my New Years Resolution! Spurred from Tom's previous thread!

Dave
Dave Mitchell
Aquanautchuck
Pelagic

Post by Aquanautchuck »

Hey Tom. Being cheap I did not want to keep paying for refills on my log book. I use a software called Paper Port 9 for my work. This software allows you to scan and then edit any document. I just scanned the front and back of a log book page and then just print two sided on regular paper. Easy. I tried to attach a copy but it would not allow a pdf attachment so if you want I can email a sample to you.
Charles