We lost one of our own today

This forum is for all other types of chatter, including non-SCUBA stuff.
scottsax
I've Got Gills

Re: We lost one of our own today

Post by scottsax »

Joshua Smith wrote:I'll be wearing a NWDC t shirt- please come introduce yourself if you spot me.
As will I. I'm flying my colors today for our fallen comrade.
I'm going to look like a moose on rollerskates. -airsix
... my Mom caught me fenestrating once. -lavachickie
And I get so tired of fainting and peeing all over myself when the hammer falls on an empty chamber! -Nailer

Want to know where I'm performing? Check out my Facebook fan page!
Sounder
I've Got Gills

Post by Sounder »

scottsax wrote:
Joshua Smith wrote:I'll be wearing a NWDC t shirt- please come introduce yourself if you spot me.
Damn - I didn't even think of that. I'll be in a lame polo shirt... black of course. :koolaid:
GUE Seattle - The official GUE Affiliate in the Northwest!
Nwbrewer
I've Got Gills

Post by Nwbrewer »

I don't have club T-shirt. I need to get a shirt so I can be cool like the rest of you. Spat, you need to make a naka man with an NWDC shirt on.
scottsax
I've Got Gills

Post by scottsax »

Sounder wrote:
scottsax wrote:
Damn - I didn't even think of that. I'll be in a lame polo shirt... black of course. :koolaid:
...too many jokes about :koolaid: -approved clothing choices...

Wasn't there an email circulating about that?
Last edited by scottsax on Tue Mar 10, 2009 1:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I'm going to look like a moose on rollerskates. -airsix
... my Mom caught me fenestrating once. -lavachickie
And I get so tired of fainting and peeing all over myself when the hammer falls on an empty chamber! -Nailer

Want to know where I'm performing? Check out my Facebook fan page!
spatman
I've Got Gills

Post by spatman »

Nwbrewer wrote:I don't have club T-shirt. I need to get a shirt so I can be cool like the rest of you. Spat, you need to make a naka man with an NWDC shirt on.
hmmm....

but if you want naka on a shirt, you need to talk to the tangfish. that's his domain.
Nwbrewer
I've Got Gills

Post by Nwbrewer »

spatman wrote:
Nwbrewer wrote:I don't have club T-shirt. I need to get a shirt so I can be cool like the rest of you. Spat, you need to make a naka man with an NWDC shirt on.
hmmm....

but if you want naka on a shirt, you need to talk to the tangfish. that's his domain.
No a naka man smiley wear a shirt that says NWDC. I have no such Smiley creation ninja skilz.
spatman
I've Got Gills

Post by spatman »

Nwbrewer wrote:No a naka man smiley wear a shirt that says NWDC. I have no such Smiley creation ninja skilz.
i'm not so good with the animated gifs... but penopolypants has demonstrated some skill there...
Joshua Smith
I've Got Gills

Post by Joshua Smith »

That was cool. Thanks to ALL of you divers who showed up- there were a bunch of us, and I'm too tired to list off names right now- you know who you are (nice to meet you, Paulicarp by the way, and your lovely wife!) But thanks, everyone, for coming out- Jake would have loved that get together. What an amazing guy- he had so many friends. And he had just started diving. We can all learn a lot from him- his zest for life is something most of us never get half way to.

RIP, Jake- I hope to have a few cold ones with you when I get there.
Maritime Documentation Society

"To venture into the terrible loneliness, one must have something greater than greed. Love. One needs love for life, for intrigue, for mystery."
Pez7378
I've Got Gills

Post by Pez7378 »

That's the way to do it Jake! There will never be another BigFameOne. :salute:
Web BFOfinal.jpg
Web BFOfinal.jpg (21.7 KiB) Viewed 3980 times
Web BFOfinal2.jpg
Web BFOfinal2.jpg (17.79 KiB) Viewed 3983 times
Octoloco
Extreme Diving Machine

Post by Octoloco »

Just logged on and am shocked and saddened to hear of Jake's passing. Like most of you, I didn't know Jake personally but really enjoyed reading his posts and looked forward to meeting him one day. It sounds like he was a remarkable man.

My thoughts and prayers are with his family and friends

:smt051
Dive by Shooting!!

Kathy
Sounder
I've Got Gills

Post by Sounder »

Octoloco wrote:Just logged on and am shocked and saddened to hear of Jake's passing. Like most of you, I didn't know Jake personally but really enjoyed reading his posts and looked forward to meeting him one day. It sounds like he was a remarkable man.

My thoughts and prayers are with his family and friends

:smt051
I think you did meet him at the Mukilteo meeting - when we were standing outside after the speaking portion of the meeting, he was the big guy standing between Lynne and I.
GUE Seattle - The official GUE Affiliate in the Northwest!
Octoloco
Extreme Diving Machine

Post by Octoloco »

I guess I didn't put his actual name to his screen name. I wish I could have talked to him to tell him what fun I had reading of his diving exploits.
Dive by Shooting!!

Kathy
mwhities
Getting To Know Folks

Post by mwhities »

BASSMAN wrote:
mwhities wrote:I'm diving in St Thomas. He'd talked about diving in warm waters and really wanted to do it. So on the 17th, I'm going to do my two dives for him. I'm sure it'd mean a lot to him. I'll get to depth and hover there for a minute and maintain depth for him. Think of it as a moment of silence.
-Michael
That's a great personal tribute to Jake, Michael! =D>

When you get out here, plan to dive with me too! Okay? (Leave a Thursday open

Keith.
So it's been a LONG time since this was posted and that I've been on a scuba - board.

I in fact did do the dives. I don't have my log book in front of me, but on my second dive, being dive 60, I hoovered (the best I could) for a minute plus.

Why am I posting this now? I logged off all scuba related forums and anything else scuba related as I am unable to dive right now. I do still have all of my singles gear, just collecting dust in the garage. I talked with Tim D on FB and we talked about diving today. I told him something like "the post I did on a board somewhere" stated what I felt about diving in general. This is what I posted:
I definitely feel like I am a Seattle diver. I'd much prefer to dive there than in Cozumel or anywhere else. Why? Anywhere else is to easy.
Anyways, Jake is still always on my mind and for the longest time he stayed logged into GoogleChat. Did I talk to him? I sure did, I sent him several messages about things happening and everything else. I think he was the first to know about my second son Walker Rhys.

Thank you all for everything.

Michael