We lost one of our own today

This forum is for all other types of chatter, including non-SCUBA stuff.
mwhities
Getting To Know Folks

Re: We lost one of our own today

Post by mwhities »

spatman wrote:
mwhities wrote:Ohh and it's Jake's fault I have an account here... He made me get one. :)
you're always welcome on this board, michael. stop by anytime, and definitely come up for a visit. there are plenty of other folks here who share jake's passion and would be happy to dive with you.
Thanks, I appreciate it and I'll make it up there ASAP. I would love to dive with all of you and I'd really love to dive with Jake's dive buddy at that time and do the same dive plan.

Thanks,

Michael
mwhities
Getting To Know Folks

Post by mwhities »

Sounder wrote:Hi Michael - yes, Jake had ordered an 8' hose on your recommendation and it's sitting at our LDS... unfortunately he never got to try it, but he definitely appreciated and enjoyed your friendship.
Thanks Doug. I greatly appreciate it.

Michael
Sockmonkey
I've Got Gills

Post by Sockmonkey »

mwhities wrote:He really loved scuba diving as you all know. I miss him not being on this morning. I'm going to miss him for awhile.
Michael... thanks for stopping by nwdc to posting about Jake. I think he would have been stoked.

I'm glad he peer pressured you into creating an account here because we all have too many boards to keep track of... but this one will come in handy when you're finally able to visit the pacnorwest because you're a Seattle diver you just don't know it.

-Eric
"I used to do this for fun, but now, I do it for nothing" -Not Joshua Smith

:eric: Hawaiian Seamonkey Blog
BASSMAN
I've Got Gills

Post by BASSMAN »

mwhities wrote:I'm diving in St Thomas. He'd talked about diving in warm waters and really wanted to do it. So on the 17th, I'm going to do my two dives for him. I'm sure it'd mean a lot to him. I'll get to depth and hover there for a minute and maintain depth for him. Think of it as a moment of silence.
-Michael
That's a great personal tribute to Jake, Michael! =D>

When you get out here, plan to dive with me too! Okay? (Leave a Thursday open)

Keith.
Hi, my name is Keith, and I'm a Dive Addict! :supz:
mwhities
Getting To Know Folks

Post by mwhities »

Sockmonkey wrote:
mwhities wrote:He really loved scuba diving as you all know. I miss him not being on this morning. I'm going to miss him for awhile.
Michael... thanks for stopping by nwdc to posting about Jake. I think he would have been stoked.

I'm glad he peer pressured you into creating an account here because we all have too many boards to keep track of... but this one will come in handy when you're finally able to visit the pacnorwest because you're a Seattle diver you just don't know it.

-Eric
Eric,

Thanks. I figure he'd say it was Doug and Lynne's fault too. :)

I definitely feel like I am a Seattle diver. I'd much prefer to dive there than in Cozumel or anywhere else. Why? Anywhere else is to easy.

Michael
mwhities
Getting To Know Folks

Post by mwhities »

BASSMAN wrote:
mwhities wrote:I'm diving in St Thomas. He'd talked about diving in warm waters and really wanted to do it. So on the 17th, I'm going to do my two dives for him. I'm sure it'd mean a lot to him. I'll get to depth and hover there for a minute and maintain depth for him. Think of it as a moment of silence.
-Michael
That's a great personal tribute to Jake, Michael! =D>

When you get out here, plan to dive with me too! Okay? (Leave a Thursday open)

Keith.
Keith,

Thank you. He meant a lot and it's the very least I can do. The second dive will be my 60th. It's a small yet happy number I wanted to get to. I'm finally "over 50" for sure.

Well, I'm not sure when I'll be able to make it but, I WILL come out and hopefully for a week. I just hope all of you have plenty of air for me. So yes, I'll mark that Thursday for you.

Michael
spatman
I've Got Gills

Post by spatman »

mwhities wrote:I definitely feel like I am a Seattle diver. I'd much prefer to dive there than in Cozumel or anywhere else. Why? Anywhere else is to easy.
yep, you are a true PNW diver.
Sounder
I've Got Gills

Post by Sounder »

It appears the venue for tomorrow night's "service" has changed slightly. Sounds like a party, just as Jake would want it.

From Jake's brother Michael on Jake's Facebook page:
To Anyone Who Loved Jake:

His memorial will be held Tuesday, March 10th at 7pm at the Greenwood Masonic Lodge at 7910 Greenwood Ave North

Its a party, so come ready to celebrate.
I think I'll leave the tie at home - Jake would have made fun of me for it anyway.

:mmmbeer:
GUE Seattle - The official GUE Affiliate in the Northwest!
BDub
I've Got Gills

Post by BDub »

I met Jake only on a couple of occasions, but his enthusiasm was infectious.

He came out to Cove 2 one morning to watch the Intro students do some dry runs, and we also helped him fit his harness.

He also sat in on the first night of Lundy's, Chris' and Joe's Tech 1 class.

He was a sponge for info. In both instances he hung out in the background, very quietly, as to not disrupt the class, just taking in all the info he could.

It was a pleasure to have him around. The community lost a good person.
http://www.frogkickdiving.com/

"It's a lot easier when you're not doing it" - CaseyB449

"There needs to be more strawberry condoms. Just not on my regulator" - DSteding
Grateful Diver
I've Got Gills

Post by Grateful Diver »

If anyone's going from the south side, wanna carpool? I live in Federal Way ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)
Threats and ultimatums are never the best answer. Public humiliation via Photoshop is always better - airsix

Come visit me at http://www.nwgratefuldiver.com/
Sounder
I've Got Gills

Post by Sounder »

Grateful Diver wrote:If anyone's going from the south side, wanna carpool? I live in Federal Way ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)
Who all IS planning to come? I know Joe, Bob, and I are going. Who else can make it?
CaseyB449
Avid Diver

Post by CaseyB449 »

I'll be there.
As with all of you, I am inspired by his enthusiasm, and will forever be grateful for having Jake come in to my life the way he did. He was a sponge, and loved hanging out, listening, asking good questions. I chatted with him for an hour after Mischi's tides class last month, and he just absolutely was the nicest guy. I have been out of the loop all weekend, just found out. I'm glad he had a great dive.
"The sea, once it casts its spell, holds one in its net of wonder forever." Jacques Yves Cousteau
Joshua Smith
I've Got Gills

Post by Joshua Smith »

Sounder wrote:
Grateful Diver wrote:If anyone's going from the south side, wanna carpool? I live in Federal Way ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)
Who all IS planning to come? I know Joe, Bob, and I are going. Who else can make it?
I'll be there.
Maritime Documentation Society

"To venture into the terrible loneliness, one must have something greater than greed. Love. One needs love for life, for intrigue, for mystery."
BDub
I've Got Gills

Post by BDub »

Sounder wrote:

... Bob (Grateful Diver)
I'm planning on going
http://www.frogkickdiving.com/

"It's a lot easier when you're not doing it" - CaseyB449

"There needs to be more strawberry condoms. Just not on my regulator" - DSteding
spatman
I've Got Gills

Post by spatman »

Sounder wrote:Who all IS planning to come? I know Joe, Bob, and I are going. Who else can make it?
i wish i could. you guys will have to pass my condolences along to his family.
Burntchef
I've Got Gills

Post by Burntchef »

working, sorry.
Chin high, puffed chest, we step right to it
The choice is there ain't no choice but to pursue it

"Diving the gas is the easy part, not much to it, plenty of retards are using it safely. " jamieZ
scottsax
I've Got Gills

Post by scottsax »

Sounder wrote:Who all IS planning to come? I know Joe, Bob, and I are going. Who else can make it?
I'll be there...
I'm going to look like a moose on rollerskates. -airsix
... my Mom caught me fenestrating once. -lavachickie
And I get so tired of fainting and peeing all over myself when the hammer falls on an empty chamber! -Nailer

Want to know where I'm performing? Check out my Facebook fan page!
Sounder
I've Got Gills

Post by Sounder »

I'm told this is a party, per Jake's wishes. As such, come dressed appropriately (leave the funeral garb at home) and come ready to eat, drink, and be merry while talking about Jake.

Jeans are very appropriate.

It sounds like fun... I just wish it was under these circumstances.

Glad you can make it Scott.
BASSMAN
I've Got Gills

Post by BASSMAN »

I was planning on it But can't get out of a prior commitment. ](*,)
I'll be sending a card/donation for the celebration!
Have a great "Life Celibration" for Jake! :grouphug: :pirate: :occasion5:
And remember to not :mmmbeer: and :driving:
Please keep us posted.
Hi, my name is Keith, and I'm a Dive Addict! :supz:
Romer Treece
Pelagic

Post by Romer Treece »

I'm planning on it.
Sounder
I've Got Gills

Post by Sounder »

Romer Treece wrote:I'm planning on it.
"Niiiiiiiice."

So we got Bob, Valerie, Scott A, Scott L, Brian & Jeanna, Dan the man, Joe, and myself so far that I'm aware of.

Who am I missing? Anyone else coming to Jake's party? :mmmbeer: :grouphug:
Nwbrewer
I've Got Gills

Post by Nwbrewer »

I'm not sure yet that I'll be able to make it, but I will try to be there for a bit.
Sounder
I've Got Gills

Post by Sounder »

Nwbrewer wrote:I'm not sure yet that I'll be able to make it, but I will try to be there for a bit.
:highfive: :breakdance:
Paulicarp
Aquanaut

Post by Paulicarp »

Yes, this is weird. (a bit awkward maybe?) I'm going to be at the party tonight. I'm going to a memorial for a guy I never met in person, and I'll be there with a bunch of people I've never met. ??

I've been wanting to dive for a long time and just when I finally got serious about it, I heard that Lighthouse park was being closed. (I was standing there on the beach right there in January when it hit me that I had to get off my A$$ and get certified) I joined this board after the Mukilteo thing, and Jake was one of the first to welcome me. Here's a quote from a PM he sent on Friday at 10 AM: "I also read your bio and looked at your site, very cool, you sound like just the kind of guy that will fit in with this motley crew of doofus'."

There you have it. I don't know what else to say other than I would have preferred our introduction to be under different circumstances.

--Paul
Joshua Smith
I've Got Gills

Post by Joshua Smith »

Paulicarp wrote:Yes, this is weird. (a bit awkward maybe?) I'm going to be at the party tonight. I'm going to a memorial for a guy I never met in person, and I'll be there with a bunch of people I've never met. ??

I've been wanting to dive for a long time and just when I finally got serious about it, I heard that Lighthouse park was being closed. (I was standing there on the beach right there in January when it hit me that I had to get off my A$$ and get certified) I joined this board after the Mukilteo thing, and Jake was one of the first to welcome me. Here's a quote from a PM he sent on Friday at 10 AM: "I also read your bio and looked at your site, very cool, you sound like just the kind of guy that will fit in with this motley crew of doofus'."

There you have it. I don't know what else to say other than I would have preferred our introduction to be under different circumstances.

--Paul
I'll be wearing a NWDC t shirt- please come introduce yourself if you spot me.
Maritime Documentation Society

"To venture into the terrible loneliness, one must have something greater than greed. Love. One needs love for life, for intrigue, for mystery."