Hose Protectors

Need advice on recreational gear configurations? Look no further than this equipment forum.
Phineas Gage

Hose Protectors

Post by Phineas Gage »

I'm talking about the rubber/vinyl/plastic sleeves that are on the 1st stage end of my air lines.
Are they really necessary? What exactly are they supposed to prevent?

'cause from where I'm sitting all they really seem to be doing is making the hoses a little more rigid that I would like.
But, who knows, there must be a reason for them, right?
cardiver
I've Got Gills

Re: Hose Protectors

Post by cardiver »

Phineas Gage wrote:I'm talking about the rubber/vinyl/plastic sleeves that are on the 1st stage end of my air lines.
Are they really necessary? What exactly are they supposed to prevent?

'cause from where I'm sitting all they really seem to be doing is making the hoses a little more rigid that I would like.
But, who knows, there must be a reason for them, right?
Supposed to eliviate strain on the hose......I prefer being able to see the hose and verify that there are no cracks or leaks it.
-Ron T.
"When I'm 80 I'll take up real diving, which is done in a pub..." Ray Ives.
253-227-0856
My Dive Pics...
https://www.facebook.com/RETOPPPHOTOGRAPHY
spatman
I've Got Gills

Post by spatman »

salt and crud also build up under them, which actually can contribute to the hose's faster degradation. if you do have them on, it's good to pull them back when rinsing and replace when dry.
Pez7378
I've Got Gills

Post by Pez7378 »

I think I've got a bunch of 'em laying around if you want 'em, although, I may have thrown them away too.
Phineas Gage

Post by Phineas Gage »

Pez7378 wrote:I think I've got a bunch of 'em laying around if you want 'em, although, I may have thrown them away too.
Gee, thanks Pez. I'll have some more to add to your collection in just a little while, if you want them. :shootself:
nice-diver
Compulsive Diver

Post by nice-diver »

us divers never put them on until they made their own with internal ribbs and vents to allow drainage.

scuba pro(?) claims that if you remove them, the exposed hose fittings will help with heat transfer to keep the first stage from freezing up and free flowing

mine are removed from my cold water regs.
Last edited by nice-diver on Mon Mar 09, 2009 6:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
i flickr
http://www.flickr.com/photos/nice-diver/

Give a man a fire and he's warm for the day. But set fire to him and he's warm for the rest of his life

People are more violently opposed to fur than leather, because it's easier to harrass rich women than motorcycle gangs!
Phineas Gage

Post by Phineas Gage »

I've got a cup of hot soapy water...

Thanks everyone. :boucegreen:
Matt S.
Submariner

Post by Matt S. »

I use them. I like the idea of keeping the hose from being bent too sharply at the metal crimp.

If you clean your gear well and keep an eye on things it seems like they would pose a small risk of causing problems.

It's another eternal argument, like whether or not a Death Ball on your rear BCD dump valve will kill you. :)
Nwbrewer
I've Got Gills

Post by Nwbrewer »

Matt S. wrote:I use them. I like the idea of keeping the hose from being bent too sharply at the metal crimp.

If you clean your gear well and keep an eye on things it seems like they would pose a small risk of causing problems.

It's another eternal argument, like whether or not a Death Ball on your rear BCD dump valve will kill you. :)
Whose arguing? The Death Ball is not DIR, therefore it is sure to kill you. :blackblink:

Some of my hoses have them, some don't. I think I'm gonna get rid of the tight ones soon. The looser fitting ones with large drain holes are a good compromise, as they prevent the extreme bending at the crimp that can cause the hoes to break, and the tight rubber ones that increase the odds of getting some corrosion.
vbcoachchris
Dive-aholic

Post by vbcoachchris »

If you run an 8'' - 10'' piece of 3/8 braided nylon through it and make a loop, they make a great stage bottle leash. :supz:

I have not found any hose routing as of yet that causes a "tight" bend other than my 6'' SPG hoses. Those hoses do not have hose protectors, bend 180 degrees and have never failed for me.

They won't kill you, but I have never seen a need.

Scott
Last edited by vbcoachchris on Tue Mar 10, 2009 10:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
Dmitchell
Perma Narc'd

Post by Dmitchell »

They will extend the life of hoses. I currently own 25 regulator sets. I can attest that hose protectors do work. New hoses have more rigidity but over time they start to sag and then the crimp fitting will start to eat into the jacket of the hose. Having a hose protector will definitely extend the life of the hose.

That aside, there are a plethora of reasons why people don't use them and that's fine! I sell hoses so the quicker they wear out the better from my POV.
Dave Mitchell
Perma Narc'd

Post by Dmitchell »

nice-diver wrote:
scuba pro(?) claims that if you remove them, the exposed hose fittings will help with heat transfer to keep the first stage from freezing up and free flowing mine are removed from my cold water regs.
This is fact but the one they removed is on the 2nd stage not the 1st. And it's really a factor up here where the water is really cold!
Dave Mitchell
CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Post by CaptnJack »

I use one on my argon reg's hose. I am always sitting on that one way or another. Otherwise I haven't seen a need.
Sounder wrote:Under normal circumstances, I would never tell another man how to shave his balls... but this device should not be kept secret.