NW Dive Club Winter Hood Canal trip, Dec 8-10

Organize buddy teams, plan shore and boat dives, organize charters... make it happen here!
sparky
I've Got Gills

Post by sparky »

Nice diver

I had ment to double check this form to see how many and who
wouold be comeing out for the fun

I will have to get back to you tomorrow evening as I worked realy late tonight give me a day or so and ill have it for you

but for my take on it if you dont mind sleeping o the floor the more the gooder as far as I am concernded

iim beat its 11:30 at night and I had only been home about 1 hour
and have to be at work at 7:00 in the AM

so ill get back to you tomorrow night on detailes

Sparky
A Smart Man
Learns from his mistakes

A Wise Man
Learns from the mistakes of those that have gone before him
BbbleMkr
Aquaphile

Food, Food and more Food

Post by BbbleMkr »

So-- Has anyone done a tally of what we have coming, for food and plates/utensils/napkins?

I'm happy to bring a side: stuffing, veggies, salad or (my white trash fave--you can take the girl out of the south, but you can't take the south out of the girl) weiners in blankets.

I cold also whip up some fruit cobbler with ice cream (Oooh, that sounds good right now. It's so cold!).

And there's no problem with me bringing enough paper plates, napkins and utensils for everyone.

I just don't want to do all of the above. :) Where would I put all my diving gear?

The Orca house has a fridge and an oven so we could store stuff there or cook things as necessary. Sparky? Do you know where the group is meeting? Is it a long walk?

We also _may_ have room for one more, but I've never seen the place and I'd like to check it out before committing. Once we're there, we might be able to take someone off of the big cabin's floor and put them with us.

I'm getting excited! Yay! Diving! Yay! New Friends!

Delaina
sparky
I've Got Gills

Post by sparky »

December EL Dive Cassia Fiesta 8th 9th and the 10th
Cost is $25.00 per person per night
we can sleep up to about 15 people if some of you don't mind sharing a little and we can also have a couple bed down on the floor if need be

RV SITSE next to DIVE CASA - AKA DIVE CASA WANNABE'S

RV spaces are open for the weekend in question as well
At a off season rate of $30.00 per night with full hook up
This for a double occupancy each person after that is $5.00 per day

Dive Cassia
Sparky and Wife 1 Diver 1 non diver One Turkey and a Deep Fryer.

Diver Down and Wife 2 divers

Tom Nic and his lovely wife 1 diver and 1 non diver

Calvin Tang 1 diver

Mouse - Bass man and Wife 2 divers and 1 non diver

Jeff9820 1 diver ( if he don't get lost ) ill send you some real easy to follow directions BRO
DiverNick 1 Diver
Nicediver 1 Diver

Go Nudi and wife ??? 2 divers I think

Sergeant pepper 1 diver

now for EL Dive Cassa Wanna Be's

MR. and MRS. Sounder 2 divers
octoloco and Dive cady 2 divers.

I will be bringing a turkey and a deep fryer and I know that Mr. and MRS. Sounder are making a good dish that they will be using the Deep Fryer for but I forgotten what its called other then that I know Maverick is making us a KILLER CHILI

And Sounder promised me Corn bread

There are some maybes like ScubaK and Tim and Ceria and her Hubby but I don’t know for sure at this point
So I only listed the ones that were a sure thing to date

And Maverick and Cupie are up at a cabin about five miles from the Dive cassia
With
Nailer99
Calvin
And I believe one other diver but I am not sure

I hope I have missed any one but if I have sorry
Just come on out and we will work some thing out

The set meals are some thing like Saturday Chilli for lunch thanks to Mavrick and MR. Sounder for the Chili and Corn Bread at I belive MavRick told me that lunch was at Noon

I know we had a time in mind for the Turkey Feed but I had spaced it

Keith Aka Bassman was going to go over with me how to do it
As to what else we are having to eat I have not heard so bring what you want but I would like it if some one made stuffing

The Rv park has a club house with a kitchen we can use I have already made the arrangements for this as well
Tom nic as agreed to give the blessing over our evening meal
I am not sure as to the count for the Orca house and there plans but I belive they are joining us as well
If I have done my home work right there should be some thing like 30 of us or so give or take a couple or two

Some of the folks are not staying all three days but most of us are

With thismany folks we could use a nother Turkey bird I think
Bass man was going to bring one but he is unable to stay until the Turkey Dinner so I don’t think its fare to ask him to bring one

Any one want to bring a Tbird to put in
Make sure it is completely thawed out im told its not safe to put a frozen Bird in the POT

See you all there

Sparky
A Smart Man
Learns from his mistakes

A Wise Man
Cuppie
Dive-aholic

Post by Cuppie »

if someone wants to bring shredded lettuce, grated cheese, chopped onions and some sour cream for the chili that would be great!!! I know some of those toppings seem odd for chili but once you try it you'll understand!!! The crew from last year can vouch for me im sure!!! If not let me know and we'll bring that along with the chili!!! Sparky you are doing a great job of 'El Dive Casa Chairman'!!!
Maverick
I've Got Gills

Post by Maverick »

Sounds like you got a plan set Sparky, and a good one. The chilli I think is good around 1pm allows for more dives before we gorge on food.

This is going to be great! :supz: I can't wait for the turkey fry, and all the people.
Maverick

Diving. . . is an active physical form of meditation. It is so silent- You're like a thought.

SOME PEOPLE ARE LIKE SLINKIES. NOT REALLY GOOD FOR
ANYTHING, BUT THEY BRING A SMILE TO YOUR FACE WHEN PUSHED DOWN THE
STAIRS.
Sounder
I've Got Gills

Post by Sounder »

Indeed this is going to be great!! I believe BUWS Doug is staying in the 5 mile cabin with Mac, Cuppie, and Calvin. :partyman:

Saturday lunch at 1pm (per Mav the chili meister! :prayer: ) will be combined with either traditional corn bread or my world famous (well, sort of... it SHOULD BE world famous) tamale pie- growing up in Southern Arizona, it's a real treat - I promise everyone will love it and get seconds! We also need the stuff cuppie (who's bringing/hosting the chili with Mav) mentioned like cheese, sour cream, onions, and lettuce.

Dinner: We need people to step up with what they're bringing. Time to get this pot luck locked in. Mrs. Sounder and I are bringing sliced veggies with tempura batter to be fried in the turkey pot. Should be quite fun and very tasty! We still need drinks for lunch... a couple Costco flats of soda (both regular and diet) would work.

So far for dinner we've got Turkey, veggies with tempura batter, and (maybe?) stuffing?... we need more stuff for dinner. Salad, drinks (beer, soda, wine, etc, whatever), and whatever your "specialty" is. Post it here so we can make plans.

We also need plastic utensils, paper plates and bowls, and trash bags - enough for both meals.

It's time to start posting what you're going to bring so we can lock in plans! I can't wait! :bounce: It's going to be a great time!!! Those darn surface intervals are all that stand in the way (but hopefully they'll be filled with great food)! =D> It's going to be just a fantastic and SAFE weekend of diving, with great friends, amazing food, and top-shelf story sharing!

What is everyone bringing to share?! \:D/
GUE Seattle - The official GUE Affiliate in the Northwest!
BbbleMkr
Aquaphile

Orca House

Post by BbbleMkr »

Orca House has 3 diver occupants: Delaina, Ryan and Diver C (Rich) all weekend; and 1 petulant teenager occupant who _could_ dive, but gets all "weirded out" by the darkness and cold for Friday night. Rich was also talking about having Sgt. Pepper hang with us for the weekend, but that isn't established 100% yet.

I can bring another turkey and stuffing. There's a limit on how big the turkey should be, yes? I seem to remember that it can't be more than X lbs. Please educate me on the maximum size of said bird so I don't overwhelm the fryer.

I also have some plates and forks and napkins to bring, but someone else should bring some more because I don't think what I have is enough for 30 people for two meals.

Everything is looking good!

Delaina
Sounder
I've Got Gills

Post by Sounder »

Mmmmmm..... stuffing!!! \:D/
sparky
I've Got Gills

Post by sparky »

acording to my fryer book it is for up to 18 pound Tbirds

so I guess nothing biger then 18 pounds and it has to be compleatly thawed

I have a 20pound bird I wonder if it will lose weight as it thawes out
guess i will need to run out and get a skinner bird huh?

Sparky
A Smart Man
Learns from his mistakes

A Wise Man
BASSMAN
I've Got Gills

Post by BASSMAN »

Sparky,
See if it fits into the pot (Loosley)

if it fits in and its not tight, you can use it.
DiverDown
I've Got Gills

Post by DiverDown »

Hey Sparky there will be 2 openings at the casa if any one wants them. I will go into details later, but I will be there. I will be going solo this trip...
Who run barter town?
nice-diver
Compulsive Diver

Post by nice-diver »

I am really going to try and come up fri daylight till sunday.

I have a kitchen now but don't cook or bake anything, so I could bring cans of pop and a cooler.

WHAT FLAVORS????? someone give me a guess and quantity

or i'll just bring 48 cans of dew

looking forward to it
Diver_C
Amphibian

Post by Diver_C »

You can fry a 20 lbs turkey in a fryer that says for 18 lbs.. I do it. Key thing is to properly measure the amount of oil required before heating it. And yes, the turkey has to be not only fully thawed, but free of as much water/moisture as possible, i.e, pat it with papertowels before injecting it. Bble Mkr and I will bring an 18 to 20 lbs turkey to fry up after Sparky's is done.

Rich
BbbleMkr
Aquaphile

Post by BbbleMkr »

Great. That's settled. Rich will be in charge of the bird and I'll bring stuffing and fruit cobbler.

I'd like to chime in for some diet drinks--cola types. I'm not terribly picky; Pepsi, Coke, Diet Rite--whatever would be fine.

As of tomorrow, we're a week away.....

Delaina
Sounder
I've Got Gills

Post by Sounder »

ONE WEEK!!! :bounce: Diet Coke/Pepsi has my vote. =D>

What else are people bringing?
Cera
Submariner

Post by Cera »

:bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce:
:wav:
SOME PEOPLE ARE LIKE SLINKIES..... THEY ARE NOT REALLY GOOD FOR ANYTHING ... BUT THEY STILL BRING A SMILE TO YOUR FACE WHEN YOU PUSH THEM DOWN A FLIGHT OF STAIRS

http://www.flickr.com/photos/cera17
BASSMAN
I've Got Gills

Post by BASSMAN »

Sparky or DiverC,
Someone should remember to bring a smaller meat thermometer for checking the finnished turky temps. the long thermometer that comes with the fryer does not work too well for that.
Just a passing thought.
Diver_C
Amphibian

Post by Diver_C »

I am bringing a wireless thermometer for my turkey. It is in the turkey while it is being fried, so I know when it is done. I am assuming whoever is bringing the fryer will have a thermometer for the oil (and someone is bringing the oil). Sparky, you need to be responsible for the thermometer for your turkey. If you want me to bring a normal, insta-read thermometer, I can.

Rich
Maverick
I've Got Gills

Post by Maverick »

:partyman:
Maverick

Diving. . . is an active physical form of meditation. It is so silent- You're like a thought.

SOME PEOPLE ARE LIKE SLINKIES. NOT REALLY GOOD FOR
ANYTHING, BUT THEY BRING A SMILE TO YOUR FACE WHEN PUSHED DOWN THE
STAIRS.
sparky
I've Got Gills

Post by sparky »

Diver_C wrote:I am bringing a wireless thermometer for my turkey. It is in the turkey while it is being fried, so I know when it is done. I am assuming whoever is bringing the fryer will have a thermometer for the oil (and someone is bringing the oil). Sparky, you need to be responsible for the thermometer for your turkey. If you want me to bring a normal, insta-read thermometer, I can.

Rich
hey rich if you could would you please bring one the only one I have is the one that came with the fryer and I guess Bassman said it would be to small

I am bringing the fryer and OIL
this is going to be the fryers madin voyage i got it a while back but just never had the chance to use it

im told penut oil works best is this what every one wants me to get

and I am not sure what to get to inject the Tbird with
I was hopeing some one like Rich that had done this beofr would take over the job of deep fry chef

assman was going to do it but sadly he has to leave beofr the turky feed
which well be held at the Club house in the RV park they have a kitchen there for our use and a large seating area so we can be as a group

hang out and eat and get to know each other better

I am so looking foward to seeing everyone old friends and new friends and grate food, Grate diving

does life get any beter

I submit to you that it does not.

Sparky
A Smart Man
Learns from his mistakes

A Wise Man
sparky
I've Got Gills

Post by sparky »

does any one need directions or are we all clear as to where we are going to be?

dont want jeff getting lost

Sparky
A Smart Man
Learns from his mistakes

A Wise Man
BASSMAN
I've Got Gills

Post by BASSMAN »

Sparky,

I will bring my injector and a seasoning, just make sure the turkey is thawed.

We'll inject it on Friday night and keep the turky on Ice in a large cooler.

you will need to bring a 5 gallon container of peanut oil available at Lowes or even Costco.
BbbleMkr
Aquaphile

Post by BbbleMkr »

OMG! You have not lived until you've had Rich's fried turkey. That, his margarita and his flourless chocolate cake are seriously to die for. Your bird will be in good hands with him. :prayer:
Cera
Submariner

Post by Cera »

Ok, If I am reading this posting correctly there is still ONE spot at the casa open??? Incase I must come alone??? or no spots?? Just checking... My husband may have to work :vom:
SOME PEOPLE ARE LIKE SLINKIES..... THEY ARE NOT REALLY GOOD FOR ANYTHING ... BUT THEY STILL BRING A SMILE TO YOUR FACE WHEN YOU PUSH THEM DOWN A FLIGHT OF STAIRS

http://www.flickr.com/photos/cera17
nice-diver
Compulsive Diver

Post by nice-diver »

looks like diet coke and diet pepsi and diet rite

haven't looked at my globe yet :book: , I assume its at hoodsport and dive shop on hwy101, shop on righthand side and casa trailer on the lefthand side of the hwy; kinda right. yah

thinking of phoning ya sparky tue after 7pm maybe

looking forward to meeting everyone and getting dry, wet would be a bad thing in my drysuit :supz: