Hood Canal Critters in Trouble!

General banter about diving and why we love it.
nwscubamom
I've Got Gills

Hood Canal Critters in Trouble!

Post by nwscubamom »

Last week, the South end of Hood Canal found itself in the midst of a very low oxygen event, which normally happens each fall, but appears to be worse this year than previous years.

This is due to many factors; pollution and seepage from failing septic systems, algae dying and consuming oxygen, the wind and weather, and the fact Hood Canal has very little water movement in the south end.

I went to Sund Rock on Saturday to see how bad it was and to take photos.

Heading down to the cove to get in the water we were greeted by the sight of many Ling Cod dead, washed up on the beach.

As we descended to the bottom on our first dive at the North Wall of Sund Rock, we found a dead Lion's Mane jellyfish, upside down, no tentacles, not moving. We were in about 30 feet of water.

An unusual sight were many colorful Ribbon worms, usually hidden from view under the sandy bottom, but laying out on top of the sand, not moving.

The Ciona savignyi invasive tunicate that we'd been tracking at the North Wall, has exploded in population in areas. One rock we found was covered with thick colonies of the clear tubelike critters, standing about 5" tall. We found many areas in the 40-50 foot range where they had a firm foothold and were clearly spreading.

Clearly stressed and dying were many California Sea Cucumbers. They were belly up, tube feet exposed and shriveling up, with all 20 of their feeding appendages around their mouth extended. There was an abundance of them in the 20 foot and shallower range.

We hit a very bad section of visibility in the 20 foot and shallower range, with a thick cloud of yellowish goo passing overhead. As it cleared slightly, we realized we were in the midst of a very large school of Copper Rockfish. Rockfish usually inhabit waters 40ft and deeper, and it's customary to see small aggregates of Copper Rockfish together, like 5 or so. To see 75+ of them, slugglishly swimming in 20 feet and shallower, was very unusual.

On our second dive at Sund Rock, proper, we found many Wolf Eel, extremely lethargic, struggling to breathe, and up in very shallow waters. We had several sightings in only 15 feet of water. Wolf Eel usually inhabit areas around 60 feet or deeper.

Another critter in distresse were Sunflower Stars. These large sea stars usually are found all over. We found not nearly as many this time, and some of the ones we found were clearly dying - shriveling up, turning whitish gray. This one was in 60 feet of water.

It was very sad to see several Sailfin Sculpin dead in the shallows. These are usually a big highlight for divers to see.

On our way back in from the second dive, we found many more ling cod washing up on the beach.

As you can imagine, it was a very sobering and depressing couple of dives. But if there's one thing I can caution everyone about, it's this:

If you dive there while this oxygen event is taking place, please please please don't attempt to interact with the Wolf Eel or other critters. You'll find them in very shallow water (15 ft), out in the open, but they're struggling to survive. Making them move uses up precious energy and oxygen, none of which they have to spare right now.

A few days ago, they lost an octopus at Sund Rock.

So give the critters wide berth during this time of extreme stress.

- Janna :(
Janna Nichols
My underwater photo galleries
REEF Citizen Science Program Manager
Seen any cool critters lately?
><((((°>
-----------------------------
Joshua Smith
I've Got Gills

Post by Joshua Smith »

Man, that's sad to look at. :pale:
Maritime Documentation Society

"To venture into the terrible loneliness, one must have something greater than greed. Love. One needs love for life, for intrigue, for mystery."
Tom Nic
I've Got Gills

Post by Tom Nic »

Wow... that just stinks at every level... very sad :pale:

Here's hoping that it is a temporary, cyclical, natural event that the canal will quickly bounce back from.

Thanks for the report and photos Janna, though ver depressing. :salute:
GillyWeed
Submariner

Post by GillyWeed »

It is really sad to see these... We all have our favorite fishy friends and mine happens to be ling cod.. Those photos make me very sad... What can we do to help this situation? How do we make people aware of this? Can we get it on the local news? People need to see how horrifying it is...
Otherwise they wont change anything.... :pale: Ok I am all out of air... Peace.
"Well I, I wont go down by myself, but I'll go down with my friends!"
Tom Nic
I've Got Gills

Post by Tom Nic »

GillyWeed wrote:People need to see how horrifying it is...
Otherwise they wont change anything.... :pale: Ok I am all out of air... Peace.
I have heard news reports about this.

As I alluded to above, I am not sure that this is a "people thing". (We do plenty of terrible things to nature, but not everything that is sad to us in nature is about people.) I have read that there is a good possibility that this is somewhat "normal" and cyclical for bodies of water like Hood Canal. I'd like to know more...
BASSMAN
I've Got Gills

Post by BASSMAN »

Wow! What a Depressing Posting!

Those pictures are not fun to look at.

Sometimes, reality Sucks!

I'm going to go look at some pictures of a Spiney Puffer all puffed up!
(Looks like he is smiling at me) :fish:

Thanks Janna, for getting this out to us! :salute:

Reality Check, Completed!
GillyWeed
Submariner

Post by GillyWeed »

As I alluded to above, I am not sure that this is a "people thing". (We do plenty of terrible things to nature, but not everything that is sad to us in nature is about people.) I have read that there is a good possibility that this is somewhat "normal" and cyclical for bodies of water like Hood Canal. I'd like to know more...
Yes this is a natural occurance, but it is compounded by the polution that we people provide. Here is a quote from the Seattle puplic utilities website. About how our waters get poluted.
Where storm drains go
Some people believe that storms drain carry the waste to a sewage treatment for cleanup. Not true! Some drains go directly into the nearest stream or lake or Puget Sound, and so do the hazardous chemicals, pesticides, paints, antifreeze and used motor oil people pour down storm drains every year.

The Seattle Aquarium estimates that more than 2 million gallons of used motor oil ends up in Puget Sound each year. That’s enough to fill a medium-sized tanker! But even small amount of oil can smother fish eggs and developing shellfish in our lakes and streams. Just 1 pint of oil causes a slick the size of 2 football fields.

I am sure you are aware of this but it is something that I feel really strongly about so I am putting it out there anyway. We need to make everyone we know aware that they have to be careful about how they water their lawns and even dispose of their pet waste because what they do directly affectst the waters we dive in.

Ok, I am done. Sorry...
"Well I, I wont go down by myself, but I'll go down with my friends!"
diver-dad
Compulsive Diver

Post by diver-dad »

Gives me a knot in my stomach to see this. :pale:

... good advice about keeping awareness up.

Do we have anyone in the media as an active member of the NWDC? This'd make a great photo or video expose'.
- DD

"Always do right -- this will gratify some and astonish the rest."
-Mark Twain
DiverDown
I've Got Gills

Post by DiverDown »

It is allready getting a BUZZ on the web so far.. The original post was from CDNN..
Who run barter town?
nwscubamom
I've Got Gills

Post by nwscubamom »

DiverDown wrote:It is allready getting a BUZZ on the web so far.. The original post was from CDNN..
LOL!! Poor Georgia!!! This makes it sound like she needs major therapy to get over the events of her dive!!!

I called her on the phone just now and read the article to her...she was, of course, misquoted and and the facts exaggerated and sensationalized in this story. Big surprise there, eh?

And where did that photo come from??? WAY more dead fish than we saw in one spot...and a nice sandy beach??? Where the heck is THAT?

Don't get me wrong - it was disturbing - but it wasn't quite to the extreme that Susan Gordon made it out to be.

- Janna (still chuckling)
Janna Nichols
><((((°>
Sounder
I've Got Gills

Post by Sounder »

I've got a friend at KOMO TV if we want it covered. I think Janna or Valerie should answer questions though - hopefully it wouldn't get misrepresented too badly. Let me know - I can always ask. The worst they can say is no thanks.
GUE Seattle - The official GUE Affiliate in the Northwest!
nwscubamom
I've Got Gills

Post by nwscubamom »

Sounds good to me. I think Georgia (not Valerie - it was Georgia who dove there and reported it first) would be fine with it too.

- Janna :)
Janna Nichols
><((((°>
DiverDown
I've Got Gills

Post by DiverDown »

nwscubamom wrote:
DiverDown wrote:It is allready getting a BUZZ on the web so far.. The original post was from CDNN..
LOL!! Poor Georgia!!! This makes it sound like she needs major therapy to get over the events of her dive!!!

I called her on the phone just now and read the article to her...she was, of course, misquoted and and the facts exaggerated and sensationalized in this story. Big surprise there, eh?

And where did that photo come from??? WAY more dead fish than we saw in one spot...and a nice sandy beach??? Where the heck is THAT?

Don't get me wrong - it was disturbing - but it wasn't quite to the extreme that Susan Gordon made it out to be.

- Janna (still chuckling)
Janna I sent you a pm.. :salute:
Who run barter town?
WylerBear
I've Got Gills

Post by WylerBear »

I guess I'll start looking for a therapist tomorrow. My wife has been telling me for a couple of years that I need to go to one about my addiction anyway. My scuba addiction, that is. :laughing3:
All kidding aside, it WAS very disturbing and I hope divers are taking this to heart and not just being placated with the "this happens every year" line that I've been hearing the last few years. We really need to do something. I'm not sure what that is. Reporting it is a good first step but we need to do more. Reduce, reuse, recycle is another solution that all of us can do. Volunteering is another way.
Let's start taking some action here and see what can be done.
Georgia

NOT diving is NOT an option
bnboly
Submariner

Post by bnboly »

Now that I am diving this means much more to me now. Before it was 'just one of those things that happen.' Now, however, it's very different after experiencing life underwater. Like most folks I'm not sure what I can do to help, but something definately needs to be done.
It's not broken - it's just missing duct tape!
Sasquatch
Compulsive Diver

Post by Sasquatch »

Thanks for the pics. It puts things in perspective after reading the accounts in the media.