DIW & Titlow 3/19/09

Tell us your tale of coming nose-to-nose with a 6 gill [--this big--], or about your vacation to turquoise warm waters. Share your adventures here!
rjarnold
Submariner

DIW & Titlow 3/19/09

Post by rjarnold »

Players: Me, Greg, Keith (Bassman), E_Mo, Babs, and Yelloweye?

Well I shouldn't be making this report but no one else has yet! Due to some weird currents and navigation problems, our dive at the wall was short. I did see a pretty sweet wolf eel though! And on the way back in there was a large Dungeness crab eating a small cabezon, mmmmm. Gotta get back out there asap, I love DIW, definitely my favorite place to dive.

I didn't do the 2nd dive at Titlow. My hands were absolutely frozen after the first dive, I couldn't even unclip my gear (dive computer read 44˚F). After they started warming up, they HURT really really bad. I knew Titlow would be a nice long dive so I didn't want to end up as a popsicle, and I know that I absolutely need to pull some money together to buy dry gloves. Greg, Keith, and E_Mo went though, and they did just over an hour dive (in fact, they came up at 59 minutes and Keith and E_Mo had to go back down so they could make it an hour). :bow:

Timing was great for Titlow because there was NO current. I remember the last time I did Titlow.... relax, be pushed along one side, then beat fins furiously back up the other side... relax, be pushed along one side, then beat fins furiously up the other side.... etc etc etc etc

Maybe someone else can post some pictures and more details :P
Lophiiformes rock.

"Anal fins are a gateway drug." - Tom Nic
Tom Nic
I've Got Gills

Re: DIW & Titlow 3/19/09

Post by Tom Nic »

Yay!!! A DIW report! Thanks Rachel!

Now, just WHERE are all those other slackers who dove DIW that should be posting a report?!?! Hmmm?!? We're waiting! :bored:
More Pics Than You Have Time To Look AT
"Anyone who thinks this place is over moderated is bat-crazy anarchist." -Ben, Airsix
"Warning: No dive masters are going to be there, Just a bunch of old fat guys taking pictures of fish." -Bassman
E_Mo
Aquaphile

Post by E_Mo »

Uh yeah... thats my fault... I slacked off on the dive report too #-o

The first dive was a DIW at 0640, about 10 mintues late for the tide, which was just late enough to spin us in a big circle. Once we were able to get our bearings again we made it down to the wall. I too was excited to see the wolf eel (my first) he didnt' want to come out and play but was still awesome to see. Viz was great, probably 20 feet.

It was my first time to dive DIW, but does anyone know if the buoy there marks a line to the wall? BASSSMAN recalled a dingy or something being tied off about the same spot and thought the buoy replaced the dingy??

After a quick drive (no so quick, it was my first time driving from one site to another and trying to figure away to transport all my wet gear without taking it apart or ruining my car) we headed off to Titlow (also my first itme to dive this site). Viz was about the same as DIW and we just cruised around the pilings, averaging 26 feet or so. Of note we saw a Buffalo Sculpin, which was also anoher first and was prety cool. It was also another first for me, my first dive over an hour.

Basically a whole day of firsts for me
All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing. -Unknown
YellowEye
I've Got Gills

Post by YellowEye »

Thanks for the dive guys!

Next time I'd be happy to navigate and show you more of the wall :) Really, you guys were a bit early, we felt total slack about 35 minutes into our dive and we were later than you. And there's no bouy, other than the one sometimes seen just to the left outside the entrace. Just surface swim (or u/w swim) straight west from the entrace. If you go straight out, you'll hit the wall in a more cut and sloped section, which is your cue to find the entrace again on your return in.

The wall had the most decorator crabs I've ever seen, they were literally crawling over each other in sections. We also saw 4 heart crabs, which I've never seen before there, along with a grunt scuplin, 2 octos, and the usual suspects. :sign10: :sign10:

Keith -- how was Fox Island East Wall on Friday, you'll have to write a report on that!

Great seeing/meeting you all!
-Eric
Visit pnwdiving.com for viz reports, slack planning, galleries and more!
BASSMAN
I've Got Gills

Post by BASSMAN »

Okay my turn:
Yes I thought we were just a little late getting in, the current pushed me in a circle as I tried to guide the four of us out. Actually, if I would have just payed mor attention to my compass we would have found the wall sooner :shootself: . Also, the floating dock that we used to, swim out to, and then continued a surface swim from there, to drop and go to the wall. Welll, the dock is gone. I think it was gone the last time I dove here. So I can't blame that either :pale: . Bottom line, I need to figure how far to surface swim out before dropping because I never seem to swim out far enough :questionmarks: . Yelloweye paired up with Babs and they dropped right on the wall! Nice! :metal:
When we finally got to the wall, there was a Wolf EEL there to greet us,our group swam against the current wich was flowing to the North. Soon as I saw we were starting to run deeper down the wall (65 fsw, Ithink) I turned, because I new we blew threw alot of air getting to the wall. Again, my fault :slap: and I am willing to redeem my self on another dive at Day Island or Fox Island.
Yelloweye and Babs did the textbook dive, Dropped ON the wall, rode the current to the North, hit slack and rode the current back South to the entry. =D>

I was glad that Babs and E_Mo got to see thier first Wolf EEL! :thumb3d:

Second Dive was better because by the time we dropped in at Titlow there was litterally "0" current! :partydance:
We enjoyed goin in, around and outside the pylons and a few of the logs lying on the out skirts.

So, the Buffalo Sculpin was just sitting there :angryblue: and at first, I was not sure if it was a Buffalo or an Irish Lord so I did what was, not taught in Reef class! I lightly tapped his forehead, No reaction :sleep: . So I tapped it a little harder, Still no reaction! :tappingfoot: so with a third attempt I poked it a little harder :smt064 and Boom! :steamingears: the spikes came up and he swam off. So concludes my scientific exsperiment. \:D/ It was a Buffalo after all! :neener: :evil4:
I think Greg got some good pictures. Man I should get a camera :thumb3d:

Fox Island east wall's were fantastic! :partydance:
see report here http://www.nwdiveclub.com/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=7415
Hi, my name is Keith, and I'm a Dive Addict! :supz:
Diver_C
Amphibian

Post by Diver_C »

E_Mo wrote:The first dive was a DIW at 0640, about 10 mintues late for the tide, which was just late enough to spin us in a big circle.
A couple notes: 1) to dive DIW, pay attention to the current and when slack is, not the tide. And 2) according to the charts, slack before the flood was 7:30-ish at DIW (which is halfway between Gibson Point, and Narrows South End Midstream), so 6:40 is a tad early. I would have suggested getting wet at 7, so one can get out to the wall by 7:15 for 15 minutes of north diving, riding what is left of the ebb, before turning around with the slack for another 20 minutes riding the flood, then back over the wall, and heading back to the beach. Sorry I missed out!
spatman
I've Got Gills

Post by spatman »

Diver_C wrote: according to the charts, slack before the flood was 7:30-ish at DIW (which is halfway between Gibson Point, and Narrows South End Midstream), so 6:40 is a tad early. I would have suggested getting wet at 7, so one can get out to the wall by 7:15 for 15 minutes of north diving, riding what is left of the ebb, before turning around with the slack for another 20 minutes riding the flood, then back over the wall, and heading back to the beach.
hey diver_c, which current station are you using? and do you adjust any differently for slack before flood vs slack before ebb?
Diver_C
Amphibian

Post by Diver_C »

spatman wrote:hey diver_c, which current station are you using? and do you adjust any differently for slack before flood vs slack before ebb?
I look at Gibson Point
http://tbone.biol.sc.edu/tide/tideshow. ... on+Current
and The Narrows, S end midstream
http://tbone.biol.sc.edu/tide/tideshow. ... on+Current
DIW is right in the middle of those two current stations.

No, I don't usually adjust, just figure need be in the water 30-ish minutes before the predicted slack (5 minutes for fussing around with fins and whatnot, 10 for swimming, and 15-20 for pre-slack diving). If people have better suggestions, I'm all ears. DIW is my fave Washington dive, so the more I can learn about it the better! This current thing is tricky, especially around the Narrows, and there are a lot of people around here who have a lot more experience than I. Currents don't always pay attention to the predictions, but the 30-ish minute before slack rule seems to work more times than not. :dontknow:

Rich
BASSMAN
I've Got Gills

Post by BASSMAN »

Hey Rich have you ever dove Fox Island East wall? :smt064
Diver_C
Amphibian

Post by Diver_C »

No, I believe just the West Wall Keith. Of course, would like to do the East Wall some day too!
babs13
Dive-aholic

Post by babs13 »

Thanks for the dive everyone! I was hesitant to dive the site as I was concerned about potential currents. However, there little current during our dive. It was kinda like riding the slow TTN currents. Our first sighting was an juvenile octo shortly after we dropped. It was cameoflaged and graceful-- just chilling. Then there was the big octo hiding in a crevice. Saw 2 wolfies, a mean-looking grunt scuplin, and then there were the crabs which I've never seen before!! The neat looking crabs were everywhere.

It was my first time diving with someone on a closed circuit system slinging an Al40 with octo. The bubble check and looking for my buddy's bubbles was slightly different, as my buddy didn't really have bubbles. I didn't need to be concerned about my buddy's turn pressure as I was the determinate in turn pressure. It was great learning experience. Yelloweye's nav was perfect. He is an awesome and gracious diver. :breakdance:

Great to see and meet everyone! Hope to see everyone again at the Club dive. :grouphug:
Step 1: I have a diving problem.
BASSMAN
I've Got Gills

Post by BASSMAN »

Diver_C wrote:No, I believe just the West Wall Keith. Of course, would like to do the East Wall some day too!

April 3rd :smt064
I'm thinkin East Wall, or the bridge or both. :dontknow:
DiverBob
Compulsive Diver

Post by DiverBob »

BASSMAN wrote:
Diver_C wrote:No, I believe just the West Wall Keith. Of course, would like to do the East Wall some day too!

April 3rd :smt064
I'm thinkin East Wall, or the bridge or both. :dontknow:

The currents look good for Friday and Saturday. We are thinking about diving DIW in the morning. That is if we can get up that early. :sleep: Looks like slack is 0730, splash at 7? Anyone else thinking the same?
Life is good, let's dive!!
BASSMAN
I've Got Gills

Post by BASSMAN »

used my tanks for my Thursday dives.
No diving on Friday for me. #-o