Calculate tank volume?

Need advice on recreational gear configurations? Look no further than this equipment forum.
sunnydude
Extreme Diving Machine

Calculate tank volume?

Post by sunnydude »

Without naming the shop, I took my new to me LP95's to get the vis updated and filled. When I was getting rung up the clerk said, "good thing I checked, you wouldn't be very happy to find out you've only got 2600psi". I was a bit confused but then the clerk said they are at 3000psi. This would be all and good but the tanks are LP tanks! So...how much air do I have in there now? Where can I find a calculator?
Sean
spatman
I've Got Gills

Re: Calculate tank volume?

Post by spatman »

sunnydude wrote:Without naming the shop, I took my new to me LP95's to get the vis updated and filled. When I was getting rung up the clerk said, "good thing I checked, you wouldn't be very happy to find out you've only got 2600psi". I was a bit confused but then the clerk said they are at 3000psi. This would be all and good but the tanks are LP tanks! So...how much air do I have in there now? Where can I find a calculator?
95cf divided by 2640psi = roughly .036 cf/psi

so 3000psi x .036cf/psi = 108cf

yay, scuba math!
CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Post by CaptnJack »

or more simply.
95cf/26 (hundreds of psi) = 3.5 cf per 100 psi
3.5 x 30 (hundreds) = 105cf

(close enough since some would call the same tank a lp98)
Sounder wrote:Under normal circumstances, I would never tell another man how to shave his balls... but this device should not be kept secret.
spatman
I've Got Gills

Post by spatman »

i was just writing this when the capt posted his...

another handy way to figure out your tanks volume at any pressure is to use a tank factor of 3.6 for every 100psi on your gauge.

as illustrated above 1psi = .036 cubic feet in your tank.

so 100psi = 3.6 cubic feet
sunnydude
Extreme Diving Machine

Post by sunnydude »

Thanks guys. :)
Sean
Paulicarp
Aquanaut

Post by Paulicarp »

spatman wrote:i was just writing this when the capt posted his...

another handy way to figure out your tanks volume at any pressure is to use a tank factor of 3.6 for every 100psi on your gauge.

that only applies to tanks with this constant, right? it would be different for an AL80, or any tank with a Kt that is not the same.
Pez7378
I've Got Gills

Post by Pez7378 »

Just calculate the Tank Factor for any given tank as Richard showed.

LP 98/2640x100=TF 3.7

Al 80/3000x100 = TF 2.6

Divide the CuFt capacity by the rated pressure and multiply by 100.

stupid decimal!
Last edited by Pez7378 on Fri Mar 20, 2009 2:04 pm, edited 2 times in total.
spatman
I've Got Gills

Post by spatman »

Paulicarp wrote:that only applies to tanks with this constant, right? it would be different for an AL80, or any tank with a Kt that is not the same.
exactly. you divide the tank's volume by its rated pressure then multiply by 100 to get the tank factor.

so to use an al80 for example (which isn't really 80 cf, btw):

77.4 cf / 3000psi x 100 = about 2.6cf per 100psi.

got 2000psi showing on your gauge?

20 x 2.6 = 52 cf in your tank.
CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Post by CaptnJack »

spatman wrote:i was just writing this when the capt posted his...

common round numbers, cf per 100 psi (derived from cf/working psi in 100s)
al80 = 2.5
hp80 = 2.25
lp85/hp100 = 3
lp95/hp119/hp120 = 3.5
lp108/hp130 =4

For me using stuff like 2.5 vs 2.6 adds up to 3cf in an AL80, no big deal and trivial compared to gauge variation anyway. These numbers a little easier to work in your head.
Sounder wrote:Under normal circumstances, I would never tell another man how to shave his balls... but this device should not be kept secret.
Paulicarp
Aquanaut

Post by Paulicarp »

is it safe to overfill that tank to 3000psi, or did that shop make a dangerous mistake?

I've read that some tanks marked with a + are safe to overfill by 10% why is that true for some tanks and not others?
sunnydude
Extreme Diving Machine

Post by sunnydude »

The tank is + rated over the 2400, so the 2640 is the full rating. I am going to let some of the air out of the tanks to make sure I don't have a problem.

My Steel 88 that I bought off this board was + rated but when I had the Hydro updated I didn't ask them to do that rating. It would have taken it from 3000 to 3300. I have been tempted to have them re Hydro so then I have all three ~ 95's
Sean
Pez7378
I've Got Gills

Post by Pez7378 »

Paulicarp wrote:is it safe to overfill that tank to 3000psi, or did that shop make a dangerous mistake?

I've read that some tanks marked with a + are safe to overfill by 10% why is that true for some tanks and not others?
I've seen tanks filled to 3900 psi before. :pale: I'm not too keen on the Hydro test, but I bet it's way above and beyond anything the shops can do to them. Sean, they're fine.
spatman
I've Got Gills

Post by spatman »

sunnydude wrote:The tank is + rated over the 2400, so the 2640 is the full rating. I am going to let some of the air out of the tanks to make sure I don't have a problem.

My Steel 88 that I bought off this board was + rated but when I had the Hydro updated I didn't ask them to do that rating. It would have taken it from 3000 to 3300. I have been tempted to have them re Hydro so then I have all three ~ 95's
don't let the air out, dude, just go dive it. the tank can handle overfilling once in a while.

the plus rating is only valid for the duration of its 1st hydro. once it's rehydro'd most places won't fill it to it's + rating.
sunnydude
Extreme Diving Machine

Post by sunnydude »

spatman wrote:the plus rating is only valid for the duration of its 1st hydro. once it's rehydro'd most places won't fill it to it's + rating.
On the 88 there are at least 3 hydros that show the + rating.
Sean
BDub
I've Got Gills

Post by BDub »

spatman wrote:he plus rating is only valid for the duration of its 1st hydro. once it's rehydro'd most places won't fill it to it's + rating.
The hydro facility will not test it with the + rating unless you specifically request it. You just have to remember to request it.

As far as your tanks, Sean. I've had my double lp95's pumped up to 3700 before. Just dive em.
Last edited by BDub on Fri Mar 20, 2009 2:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
http://www.frogkickdiving.com/

"It's a lot easier when you're not doing it" - CaseyB449

"There needs to be more strawberry condoms. Just not on my regulator" - DSteding
sunnydude
Extreme Diving Machine

Post by sunnydude »

BDub wrote:As far as your tanks, Sunny. I've had my double lp95's pumped up to 3700 before. Just dive em.
Pez...you see that? I am packing 105cu feet for Monday! :supz:
Sean
spatman
I've Got Gills

Post by spatman »

sunnydude wrote:The tank is + rated over the 2400, so the 2640 is the full rating. I am going to let some of the air out of the tanks to make sure I don't have a problem.
one thing to keep in mind is that even though the plus rating is 2640psi, that's still the number they use when calculating cf. so when your lp95 is "full" at 2400psi, you actually have a less than 95 cubic feet in your tank.
Pez7378
I've Got Gills

Post by Pez7378 »

Since were on the topic, and well, most of us involved in this conversation don't have much experience with this stuff, I'd like to hear some stories of tanks gone bad. Bob, CaptJack, Matthew, Romer, Steding, BDub, DMitchell? Anyone? What are some stories that PSI is telling? What have you witnessed?
spatman
I've Got Gills

Post by spatman »

BDub wrote:
spatman wrote:he plus rating is only valid for the duration of its 1st hydro. once it's rehydro'd most places won't fill it to it's + rating.
The hydro facility will not test it with the + rating unless you specifically request it. You just have to remember to request it.
really? well, color me informed.
dsteding
I've Got Gills

Post by dsteding »

BDub wrote:
As far as your tanks, Sean. I've had my double lp95's pumped up to 3700 before. Just dive em.
You know they are too full when champagne bubbles are coming out of the burst disc . . .
Fishstiq wrote:
To clarify.........

I cannot stress enough that this is MY PROBLEM.
CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Post by CaptnJack »

Paulicarp wrote:is it safe to overfill that tank to 3000psi, or did that shop make a dangerous mistake?

I have some 3AA steel gas supply tanks in my garage that are 60+ yrs old. Although not officially legal, they can take generous overfills (more than 2400+10%) without any real effects. Long long term (25+yrs) they may fail hydro slightly sooner. But if those fills shorten the life from 80yrs to 30yrs who cares.
Stu
Aquaphile

Post by Stu »

sunnydude wrote:Without naming the shop, I took my new to me LP95's to get the vis updated and filled. When I was getting rung up the clerk said, "good thing I checked, you wouldn't be very happy to find out you've only got 2600psi". I was a bit confused but then the clerk said they are at 3000psi. This would be all and good but the tanks are LP tanks! So...how much air do I have in there now? Where can I find a calculator?
Wish I got fills like this. Enjoy the extra BT.
BDub
I've Got Gills

Post by BDub »

dsteding wrote:
BDub wrote:
You know they are too full when champagne bubbles are coming out of the burst disc . . .
Minor details
http://www.frogkickdiving.com/

"It's a lot easier when you're not doing it" - CaseyB449

"There needs to be more strawberry condoms. Just not on my regulator" - DSteding
Pez7378
I've Got Gills

Post by Pez7378 »

CaptnJack wrote:For me using stuff like 2.5 vs 2.6 adds up to 3cf in an AL80, no big deal and trivial compared to gauge variation anyway. These numbers a little easier to work in your head.
This is helpful for me. I generally use a calculator for all numbers that add up to more than 1 so any little trick that makes it easier to add is great!
dsteding
I've Got Gills

Post by dsteding »

BDub wrote:
dsteding wrote:
BDub wrote:
Minor details
Breathe it down, the bubbles go away . . .
Fishstiq wrote:
To clarify.........

I cannot stress enough that this is MY PROBLEM.