How much more blue could this be?

General banter about diving and why we love it.
Sockmonkey
I've Got Gills

How much more blue could this be?

Post by Sockmonkey »

The answer is none. None more blue.

It's been a busy couple underwater days. It may take me a while to write reports but I was so struck by this photo I thought I would post it.

It was taken by my boss who was freediving while I was providing predator protection for a videographer. You can see my shark shield trailing behind me. It is attached to my ankle and threaded through one of the vents in my jets. I was caught just as I thrust forward in a full frog kick trying to keep up. The thing in my hands is a "pokie" stick to ward off sharks.

"I used to do this for fun, but now, I do it for nothing" -Not Joshua Smith

:eric: Hawaiian Seamonkey Blog
BDub
I've Got Gills

Re: How much more blue could this be?

Post by BDub »

You're not gonna make too many friends posting crap like that on a NW board....

Seriously, that's awesome. I've been itching to head over there lately (it's been almost 2 years since I've been) and that's not helping matters
http://www.frogkickdiving.com/

"It's a lot easier when you're not doing it" - CaseyB449

"There needs to be more strawberry condoms. Just not on my regulator" - DSteding
defied
I've Got Gills

Post by defied »

Bam! That just became my desktop background.

D(B)
Sounder
I've Got Gills

Post by Sounder »

Eric - how often, really, do you all have an encounter? It seems your procedures are quite strictly in place (which, I suppose, to be a "procedure" it has to be), but honestly - I know you'd be geeked if you saw a tiger shark. I know I would.

What are the various sharks you're concerned about and watching for? I assume tigers, and perhaps ocean white-tips, but what others?

If you ever see one, you'd BETTER have someone get a picture of you and the shark... that'd be a sweet wall paper.
GUE Seattle - The official GUE Affiliate in the Northwest!
spatman
I've Got Gills

Post by spatman »

Sounder wrote:If you ever see one, you'd BETTER have someone get a picture of you and the shark... that'd be a sweet wall paper.
and a video of you jabbing it with that stick would be awesome, too.
Pez7378
I've Got Gills

Post by Pez7378 »

BDub wrote:You're not gonna make too many friends posting crap like that on a NW board....

He's right. I hate you.... :luv:
CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Post by CaptnJack »

Is that a boot on an AL80?? :smt064 :cylon:
Sounder wrote:Under normal circumstances, I would never tell another man how to shave his balls... but this device should not be kept secret.
Sockmonkey
I've Got Gills

Post by Sockmonkey »

CaptnJack wrote:Is that a boot on an AL80?? :smt064 :cylon:
Rental.

BDub
I've Got Gills

Post by BDub »

Sockmonkey wrote:
Rental.
Its a miracle you're still alive :shootself:
http://www.frogkickdiving.com/

"It's a lot easier when you're not doing it" - CaseyB449

"There needs to be more strawberry condoms. Just not on my regulator" - DSteding
Kalatin
Dive-aholic

Post by Kalatin »

Eric, the videographer is getting a much better deal out of this. He gets video credits. You get to be a tasty snack for sharks. Next thing you know, you are going to find a tasty steak hanging from your first stage. You may want to reconsider your role in these dives.
Also, I hate you too. Get the guest room ready if you keep posting pics like that.
"Another marathon, rush hour trek to foolishly compress myself and risk bodily harm and/or death to look at fishies!!! I love it!" - Casey B.
"The circle of life is a bitch when you're hungry." - Sockmonkey
CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Post by CaptnJack »

Sockmonkey wrote:
Rental.
Keeps the sharks from biting your butt.
Sounder wrote:Under normal circumstances, I would never tell another man how to shave his balls... but this device should not be kept secret.
Sounder
I've Got Gills

Post by Sounder »

My favorite thing about tropical Al80s is that when you're swimming behind someone, there are often fun little comments on the butt of the tank... like "does this make my butt look big?" and "take a picture, it'll last longer" (on the ladies' tanks).

Eric, you could have some serious fun with a sharpie and a host of rental tanks you regularly rotate through. :eric:
GUE Seattle - The official GUE Affiliate in the Northwest!
Scuba Scott
Aquaphile

Post by Scuba Scott »

Eric,

I don't hate you. I just want to come dive with you. Where was the shot taken from? How deep of water? Keep on posting pictures.

Scott
Life can be short and dives even shorter. Time off work will put it all in perspective.

http://www.waterproofdecks.blogspot.com
spatman
I've Got Gills

Post by spatman »

...and to answer your question:
Sockmonkey wrote:How much more blue could this be?
none. none more blue, really.
Pez7378
I've Got Gills

Post by Pez7378 »

spatman wrote:...and to answer your question:
Sockmonkey wrote:How much more blue could this be?
none. none more blue, really.
I disagree. It could be Darker Blue, :angryblue: or Lighter blue :confused: . That would make it bluer than it is. Don't get me wrong. It's pretty Blue, but I think it could be a tad more blue, darker or lighter, take your pick. One thing is for sure, it'll never be that blue around here. :crybaby:
spatman
I've Got Gills

Post by spatman »

eric was most likely referring to this scene in Spinal Tap...

and if not, i was!
Sockmonkey
I've Got Gills

Post by Sockmonkey »

spatman wrote:eric was most likely referring to this scene in Spinal Tap...

and if not, i was!
From the top of my orig post:
Sockmonkey wrote:The answer is none. None more blue.
"We've got Armadillos in our drysuits. It's really quite frightening."

To answer Sounder's shark questions...
Sounder wrote:Eric - how often, really, do you all have an encounter?
Zero since I've been here but there have been encounters in the past. Typically when one of our systems has a bunch of growth on it the little fish flock... and little fish brings da big fish... hakuna mata it's the circle of life. That's why spearfishing dudes are always hanging around the stationary buoys.
Sounder wrote:It seems your procedures are quite strictly in place (which, I suppose, to be a "procedure" it has to be),

As far as the shark protocols go. We brought a shark expert in and he made recommendations for procedures. Once an expert does such a thing, as a company, you're hard pressed not to implement them. We also bring non-employees out to swim with the vehicles so it makes sense to have procedures. Besides all the pokie sticks and shark shields (that zap the living shit out of you sometimes) I don't mind having a spotter/helper around when I'm working in the water. Lets me focus on the task at hand while the spotter communicates with the boat and watches my back.
Sounder wrote:but honestly - I know you'd be geeked if you saw a tiger shark. I know I would.
I would be PSYCHED to see one swim by. I might ink from joy :sign10:
Sounder wrote:What are the various sharks you're concerned about and watching for? I assume tigers, and perhaps ocean white-tips, but what others?
People have seen both tigers and oceanic white tips. I don't know enough about the area yet to say what other kinds are about.
Sounder wrote:If you ever see one, you'd BETTER have someone get a picture of you and the shark... that'd be a sweet wall paper.
Damn straight. Later I'll post more about the shark yesterday... but I really wanted to get in the water for a photo op... but the boss and the video guy went instead.
spatman wrote:and a video of you jabbing it with that stick would be awesome, too.
My boss was freediving yesterday when I was tailing the video dude... he swam down to me tapped me on the shoulder and took a photo. Scared me senseless... so jabbed him in the ribs with the pokie stick as he swam up from 25 feet.
Scuba Scott wrote: I don't hate you. I just want to come dive with you. Where was the shot taken from? How deep of water? Keep on posting pictures.
It was taken about 5 miles offshore about 15 miles north of here at the start of the Alenuihāhā channel between Maui and the Big Island. I think we were probably in about 30 feet of water when that pic was snapped. The water depth was around 450 meters I think. And I've got a bunch more to post as soon as I finish the dive reports.

-Eric

spatman
I've Got Gills

Post by spatman »

Sockmonkey wrote:From the top of my orig post:
Sockmonkey wrote:The answer is none. None more blue.
dang, totally spaced that. my bad. #-o
LCF
I've Got Gills

Post by LCF »

Eric, we miss you . . .

Remember, you guys don't have any crabs or starfish or tubeworms or any of that good stuff. Just blue water. Just warm, blue water. Just warm, blue, sunstruck blue water . . .

Sob.
"Sometimes, when your world is going sideways, the second best thing to everything working out right, is knowing you are loved..." ljjames