Onamac Reef !!!!! 4/5/2009

Tell us your tale of coming nose-to-nose with a 6 gill [--this big--], or about your vacation to turquoise warm waters. Share your adventures here!
H20doctor
I've Got Gills

Onamac Reef !!!!! 4/5/2009

Post by H20doctor »

well what an awsome killer day of diving for us....... i had chatted with chad weeks prior about trying to come up to whidbey Is to dive the camano spot , but i had gotton sick and couldnt make it..... but this time it was all a go...i picked up Rick at his house AKA " Norris " because we were going to do the car pool and he is only about 15 mins from me in lake stevens... got loaded up at 10 am and hit the I-5 north .... we were laughing and talking all the way up and managed to miss the whidbey exit, we flipped a U turn at alger and drove 15 mins back to the exit, we made whidbey at 11:20.. I think ?? we got to the marina at Oak Harbor, which is a very ...very ...nice place to have a boat, hot showers in the rest rooms and easy acess for a boat to launch... we said hello and shook hands with Chad and his wife and loaded up all our gear..
We got to boating and chad had some tasty tunes a rocking from the Zune MP3 player.... chad has a good selection of music and we were Rocking out on our way to camano... chads boat made there in about 15 mins.. the water way very smooth and flat, and the sky was blue and sunny for our dive today... we located the reef in about 50 feet of water and dropped anchor, then were geared up and went over the first dive plan.. We were going to either swim North on a heading or south ? depending on the current and etc...etc.. we splashed in doing the backwards fall from the boat and swam to the front of the boat for the anchor line drop... there was a little surface current but not to shabby... Chad dropped first, then Rick, then Me... down into the Green water... very very green.. as we drop the bubbles are rising up and we are dropping and clearing , dropping and adjusting trim, drysuit .... now Bc... feeling the squeeze on my legs and and chest...tap tap on the drysuit.. Ahhhhhhhh squeeze is gone now... Bottom..58 feet and the reef is 15 feet upslope to us... I watch chad grap the anchor and swim it up to the rocks... WE HAVE ARRIVED.....!!!!!!!!!!!
As i look out in front of me i see Huge boulders of rock, lost and lots of rocks... this site is almost Identicle to KVI tower, But this reef Is way more establish with Marine life... and I mean LIFE... Some if not most of the reef is COVERED in Plumose anamonies, white and Orange... there are Lost of fish, Lings, rockfish, kelp greenlings, Perch, I saw Painted greenlings, i saw a very cool Blenny type of fish that almost looked like a Jawfish with yellow side fins and a light blue head...but he wouldnt come out of his den for a picture...
We all kinda just swam around in a 50 yard area... all keeping and eye on each other.. The Vis was at least 40 feet on this 1st dive, i was looking at the rocks and hovering over the anemonies and shooting video.. Rick was exploring with his light and seeing a reef for the first time and having a killer dive... chad is also looking and exploring the site, i can see his bubles coming up from the other side of a long telephone pole thats has been also put here with the rocks... I am seeing alot of sea cucombers on the rocks and the sandy floor, my favorite starfish are here!!!!! here is the shot

I love these starfish, they are the cooooooooooolest EVER!!!!!!!!
I am hoving above and just seeing a small fraction of this well established reef...this reef is over 100 yeards long and it would take more than 4 dives to see it all... I see my next photo shot its a moonsnail trailing along in the sand

He is just a cruzing along in the sand on his way to work.... or maybe he is headed home from a hard days work on the reef cleaning up......
next up I see my first nudi and get the camera set on macro... i lower myself in between some rocks and get positioned for the close ups... I try shooting with the flash first on my cannon powershot A540 and see how they turn out..then i tryshooting with the dive light giving the subject some nice white 10k light ... Here is the final shot

and then i found this guy because rick had shown him to me as we were exploring ....

The water is pure green and everything looks green and grey , untill you hit the dive light on it and then you can see the color and beauty that we all get to see here in puget sound..... we are exploring and i am amazed by how the Black rockfish are just letting me get right up close to them... almost all the fish didnt seem to care that we were there...except for the Kelp greenlings...they are zinging and swimming off fast from here to there....

as we are diving at a stable 55 feet i am watching my computer bars stack up as the dive progresses..we are going to try not to go into deco!!! i am on my LP95 , and rick is on his LP100... I am going to try to get one more picture off and then rejoin rick.. here it is !!! this is one of my best shots from the dive....

I find rick and we check air... He is at 1600 and we are almost even.. I swim us back to the anchor and tell rick we can explore more untill we hit 1000 PSI... back over to some rocks and out of no where comes Chad, he had ventured south a bit to see another part of the reef.... we hit the line and head up... do our safety stop at 15..and get back in the boat...

Here is Rick...on the way out ...

and captian Chad

2nd Dive
we dropped back down and decided to explore North a bit this time.... But the vis had taken a turn...the tide was now moving out and we had mabey 15 feet or so..? I naved north and we did some more exploring, more of about everything here, rocks covered in anemonies, fish, and life... during this whole dive i had pressure in my head, and a bad headache... right in the front of my forehead... We turned and let the slight current push us back on a south heading... once again i made sure we wernt going to go into a deco and watched our air and computers... Chad found us again!!!! and we headed back up to the surface... I was stuffed up for the rest of the night and had to drink alot of water to clear my headache..i believe it came from not drinking enough water , and being a little dehydrated, because i feel fine today with my nose still plugged a bit...
A huge THANK YOU !!!!! to Chad and his wife for his boat...and letting us get crazy a wacky topside.... I am very very thankfull for the diving and your hospitality..... thank you thank you thankyou.....
Video will be up later....
Last edited by H20doctor on Mon Apr 06, 2009 5:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
NWDC Rule #2 Pictures Or it didn't Happen
Norris
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Re: Onamac Reef !!!!! 4/5/2009

Post by Norris »

I would like to add that I am very grateful to H20 and Chad for the opportunity and this site is beautiful. I was able to see so many things that my brain was on information overload. With the great deal of diving I have been doing with the drysuit I am FINALLY able to negotiate my trim and configure bouyancy better.
It was this day that I really felt the joy of weightless-ness and by using my lungs, descend and ascend exactly where I wanted to go. Many rockfish were allowing me to just mozy on up and as long as I was chilling I could just sit close and disect them visually. A couple lings allowed me some comradery as well and THAT is my incentive on diving, just taking it all in.
One thing that needs to be mentioned is that we were certainly blessed with GREAT weather. It was toasty warm with virtually NO surface breeze and the SI's were so relaxing. No speedbumps on the day, cept our little northern distraction.

Good TIMEs
**Pinch it, don't stick your finger through. You're just pinching a bigger hole.
CAPTNJACK - 2012**
pensacoladiver
I've Got Gills

Post by pensacoladiver »

Awesome report Chris.

It was my pleasure. Donna had a great time too. Couldn't have asked for a beter day or better dives!

Offer stands... you want to dive the North end, just give my arm a little twist. I can have the boat in the water in less than an hour.

Of course after seeing that light of your, I had to come home and look up some previous posts online about it. That was the only reason I made it back to you both times. Nothing like the sun underwater. When you get some more made, let me know.

Chad
pensacoladiver
I've Got Gills

Post by pensacoladiver »

Norris wrote: No speedbumps on the day, cept our little northern distraction.
I think I-5 has that effect. I was going snowboarding once at Stevens Pass. Coming from the north, you need to take exit 194. I was shooting the breeze with my buddy and got all the way down to exit 187 before I realized I had totally blown the exit.
H20doctor
I've Got Gills

Post by H20doctor »

it was funny chad how you went off to explore and then told us you thought you were never going to see us again, But then out of nowhere you see my death light!!!! :clap: :clap: and then found us from that...
Tom Nic
I've Got Gills

Post by Tom Nic »

Nice report guys!

...and another dive site to add to my PNW bucket list.
More Pics Than You Have Time To Look AT
"Anyone who thinks this place is over moderated is bat-crazy anarchist." -Ben, Airsix
"Warning: No dive masters are going to be there, Just a bunch of old fat guys taking pictures of fish." -Bassman
sheahanmcculla
I've Got Gills

Post by sheahanmcculla »

Sounds like a good time! Nice report. and pictures, they turned out really good.
H20doctor
I've Got Gills

Post by H20doctor »

AND NOW THE VIDEO ............

http://www.vimeo.com/4038173
pensacoladiver
I've Got Gills

Post by pensacoladiver »

Great video. Thanks!!!