New dry suit adjustments...

Need advice on recreational gear configurations? Look no further than this equipment forum.
Sounder
I've Got Gills

New dry suit adjustments...

Post by Sounder »

So the new dry suits are here!!! They're sweet and the zipper is especially cool... they're "Gravity Zero" brand suits which are made in Italy - extremely durable and tough with an all polymer zipper that is not nearly as fragile as the metal zippers! In addition, they have 2 cargo pockets, and were priced quite niecly.

So in having to make a few adjustments, I'm seeking wisdom from those who dive them regularly...

1. my spring straps on my jet fins won't fit over my rock boots... I have the big ones from XS Scuba and they don't fit over my wife's rock boots either. Any suggestions?

2. Getting into my rock boots with the suit on is proving tough... suggestions? (I'm guesssing practice and loosening up of the suits will help a lot)

3. Stretching the neck seal - I was told to put it over an Al80 for a day or so, and then to cut it (not while it's stretched over the tank... thanks LG!) with a very sharp set of new sewing scissors. When I put it on the first time, I just about passed out! :pale:

4. Anything else I should know to make life easier in adjusting to my new suit?

Thanks for the help! :prayer:
GUE Seattle - The official GUE Affiliate in the Northwest!
Diver_C
Amphibian

Post by Diver_C »

1.) New, larger spring straps. I believe XS Scuba makes three different sizes. Maybe try a little silicone to get the boots in deeper.

2.) Might need larger rock boots, which then may require large JetFins. [Ouch.]

3.) I did not stretch my neck seal over a cylinder, and when I need a new one, I still wouldn't do that. I simply cut off one ring at a time (my neck seal has rings about a 1/4" apart), then tried it on. I stopped when it seemed right, and it has felt good ever since with no leaks.

4.) I think making sure it fits well is key. I tried on several different dry suits. The one I bought felt obviously right, right from the beginning compared to the others; lucky me.
Grateful Diver
I've Got Gills

Re: New dry suit adjustments...

Post by Grateful Diver »

Sounder wrote:So the new dry suits are here!!! They're sweet and the zipper is especially cool... they're "Gravity Zero" brand suits which are made in Italy - extremely durable and tough with an all polymer zipper that is not nearly as fragile as the metal zippers! In addition, they have 2 cargo pockets, and were priced quite niecly.

So in having to make a few adjustments, I'm seeking wisdom from those who dive them regularly...

1. my spring straps on my jet fins won't fit over my rock boots... I have the big ones from XS Scuba and they don't fit over my wife's rock boots either. Any suggestions?

2. Getting into my rock boots with the suit on is proving tough... suggestions? (I'm guesssing practice and loosening up of the suits will help a lot)

3. Stretching the neck seal - I was told to put it over an Al80 for a day or so, and then to cut it (not while it's stretched over the tank... thanks LG!) with a very sharp set of new sewing scissors. When I put it on the first time, I just about passed out! :pale:

4. Anything else I should know to make life easier in adjusting to my new suit?

Thanks for the help! :prayer:
1) You'll probably need the next size longer spring straps ... assuming the ones you have were sized for wetsuit boots. Those GZ rock boots are substantial.

2) Um ... step into the suit, put on the rock boots, THEN put your arms and head thru the seals ...

3) Cut carefully and conservatively. Remember that a neck seal will stretch with use, so you'll want it a bit on the tight side when it's new. Cut carefully and avoid nicks, as a nick in the seal will split rather quickly. FWIW - if you and Erica want some help, I'll be happy to assist.

4) Keep your seals powdered and your zipper waxed. Come to think of it, do they wax those kind of zippers? I just realized I don't know if there's any maintenance difference with the non-metallic ones. Oh ... DON'T USE BEESWAX! I don't care what anybody says about how good it works ... it sticks to the zipper and traps every little piece of grit that it can attract. That plays hell with zipper life.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)
thelawgoddess
Pelagic

Post by thelawgoddess »

1. sell me your spring straps. mine are way too big. i gave them to my boyfriend (for the promise that he reimburses me when i find smaller ones) but he seems to really hate them (because they don't have finger pulls) - so if he'll give them back to me, we might be able to just do a trade if you're interested. (actually, you and i should probably both measure the lengths of our respective straps to compare first ...)

2. what bob said. and make sure the laces are nice and loose. it wouldn't hurt to lean against something if you aren't already. and you can always sit down to put them on, too - just like normal boots really.

3. you're welcome - glad i could be of some help to you. ](*,) :crybaby: since then i've also read that it's pretty much useless to try to stretch a new latex seal. (i guess it is supposed to work with neoprene ones, though?) i had the first "ring" removed when i had the new seal installed. it still feels hella tight every time i put it on, and i definitely feel constricted, but as long as you don't actually pass out walking from your car to the water, you're probably good to go. once i have my suit on and stop thinking about how tight the neck seal is, i pretty much don't notice it again ... until the next time i put it on ...

4. what bob said again. i'd have a tough time getting my hands through the wrist seals without the generous use of powder every time. but then again, i have really small wrists.

btw, i found out that after you get your suit on, it really helps get your hood on if you use some leave-in (or regular) conditioner on your hair. doesn't have to be wet or saturated; just really helps that neoprene slide over your hair without pulling your hair out (and/or making nasty knots). my boyfriend has short hair, but i think he's a bit tender-headed because he loves the conditioner too. (he used to just dunk his head in the sound before i learned about the conditioner trick!)

and ... here's a helpful hint for the ever-fogging mask. (i've tried all of the other nonsense - two brands of special anti-fogging drops, toothpaste, cursing and whining, etc.) the following ritual works for me 9 times out of 10: i spit in both lenses quite generously when i start getting my rig ready and suited up and i leave it be until i'm headed for the water. when i get to the water i do it again and quickly do one rinse ... then i dunk my face quickly into the water and wipe my eyes off with my gloves ... then i put on my goggles. and voila - finally ... no fog!!!
"Life without passion is life without depth."~J.Hollis
my FLICKR photo sets
Sounder
I've Got Gills

Post by Sounder »

TLG - let's get together sometime and see if my straps will work for you. They're still brand new (put them on while injured and haven't dived yet). Perhaps one day when you're over at 5thD (that's my neck of the woods) we can hook up.

GD - yes, please, thank you. I'm going to wait until you're there to help... I don't want to botch something right out of the gate from sheer ignorance. Dinner is on me, you call it. I'm sure we'll both have to cut some off... Erica and I both had real issues (especially me) with cerebral perfusion when we put the new seals on.

On the gravity zero zippers - no wax. A little silicone grease (called T-Zip if you by the brand) does the trick. Kelly and Chris F. both have continually put 20-30 dives on their suits between lubes without issue. They've also "beat the hell (fold, twist, stretch, etc)" out of the zippers testing them and haven't been able to get them to fail... these zippers are really nice.

The suggestion of putting the boots on before hiking the suit up will really help too... I'll have to try that.

Other than that, I suppose just look for the flailing guy in the new dry suit! \:D/
Zen Diver v1
Aquaphile

Post by Zen Diver v1 »

thelawgoddess wrote:

and ... here's a helpful hint for the ever-fogging mask. (i've tried all of the other nonsense - two brands of special anti-fogging drops, toothpaste, cursing and whining, etc.) the following ritual works for me 9 times out of 10: i spit in both lenses quite generously when i start getting my rig ready and suited up and i leave it be until i'm headed for the water. when i get to the water i do it again and quickly do one rinse ... then i dunk my face quickly into the water and wipe my eyes off with my gloves ... then i put on my goggles. and voila - finally ... no fog!!!
Baby shampoo works like a charm too. Cheap, effective, and doesn't sting your eyes if it gets in. I fill a small spritz bottle about 3/4 full and top with water to dilute it a bit.

-Valerie
BASSMAN
I've Got Gills

Post by BASSMAN »

I've herd of the baby shampoo trick, But have not tried it yet.

My advice on trimming of the seals...
Have the dive shop do it just in case it tears.
buying new seals suck!

Congrats on the new Dry suits! =D>
Grateful Diver
I've Got Gills

Post by Grateful Diver »

BASSMAN wrote:I've herd of the baby shampoo trick, But have not tried it yet.

buying new seals suck!

FWIW - Dive shops won't replace seals if something goes wrong. Every one I've ever been affiliated with will make it clear that they'll trim the seals, but you make the decisions (e.g. how much to trim, etc.) ... and if anything goes wrong, it's your responsibility, not theirs.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)
dsteding
I've Got Gills

Post by dsteding »

thelawgoddess wrote: and ... here's a helpful hint for the ever-fogging mask. (i've tried all of the other nonsense - two brands of special anti-fogging drops, toothpaste, cursing and whining, etc.) the following ritual works for me 9 times out of 10: i spit in both lenses quite generously when i start getting my rig ready and suited up and i leave it be until i'm headed for the water. when i get to the water i do it again and quickly do one rinse ... then i dunk my face quickly into the water and wipe my eyes off with my gloves ... then i put on my goggles. and voila - finally ... no fog!!!
Take a lighter to it. I'm serious. When you are hanging out around the house one evening, burn the inside glass of the mask with a lighter. Don't burn ther skirt . . . obviously. The way I do it is run the lighter around the glass while looking through it.

Then, use non-gel toothpaste to scrub off the black residue from the lighter. Really scrub the crap out (off) of it. I rub it around the glass with my fingers for a while, almost until the toothpaste dries out. Rinse, repeat a few times and I will guarantee that mask never fogs again (just a little spit beforehand and then no fog . . )
Tom Nic
I've Got Gills

Post by Tom Nic »

Grateful Diver wrote:
BASSMAN wrote:I've herd of the baby shampoo trick, But have not tried it yet.

buying new seals suck!

FWIW - Dive shops won't replace seals if something goes wrong. Every one I've ever been affiliated with will make it clear that they'll trim the seals, but you make the decisions (e.g. how much to trim, etc.) ... and if anything goes wrong, it's your responsibility, not theirs.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)
Our dive shop specifically told us that they would replace the seals if they "broke" them while trimming them. (perhaps that is rare among local dive shops as Bob said, and I gladly defer to his experience!) My assumption is that this would NOT include you deciding that you didn't like the feel and should therefore start the cutting process over with new seals... ](*,) It WOULD cover that inadvertent scissor slip that slices them and makes them unusable. Being the "all thumbs" kind of guys that I am this was a safety margin that I appreciated. (Of course you'd still be out the use of your suit while the seals were getting fixed.)

This would of course vary according to the individual dive shop, and you should ALWAYS ask and find out BEFORE you have anything done. A good local dive shop with good service that takes care of it's customers is a very valuable commodity IMHO, and I have benefited considerably from the one I use. (and no, I am not an employee of or divemaster out of said shop!)

Post by . »

I would try stretching it before trimming it. And if you must trim it, have the shop do it.
diver-dad
Compulsive Diver

Post by diver-dad »

dsteding wrote: Take a lighter to it. I'm serious. When you are hanging out around the house one evening, burn the inside glass of the mask with a lighter. Don't burn ther skirt . . . obviously. The way I do it is run the lighter around the glass while looking through it.
After watching "Home Improvement," I'm inspired... perhaps my oxy-acetylene torch would do the trick?? :violent3:

(I've been looking for a reason to use that Emoticon!)
- DD

"Always do right -- this will gratify some and astonish the rest."
-Mark Twain
thelawgoddess
Pelagic

Post by thelawgoddess »

dsteding wrote:Then, use non-gel toothpaste to scrub off the black residue from the lighter. Really scrub the crap out (off) of it. I rub it around the glass with my fingers for a while, almost until the toothpaste dries out. Rinse, repeat a few times and I will guarantee that mask never fogs again (just a little spit beforehand and then no fog . . )
i did this a couple of times before i used the mask and then a couple of times after. i think it helped but it definitely didn't do the job.
"Life without passion is life without depth."~J.Hollis
my FLICKR photo sets
Pinkpadigal
I've Got Gills

Post by Pinkpadigal »

As for trimming seals. This is a trick my repair tech David taught me.

Buy the sharpest fabric sissors you can find. Do not use them for anything else. Put a sleeve on them and keep them in your save a dive kit. If you cut seals with a dull pair of sissors, you will get nicks.

As a LDS, I will cut seals but 1 ring at a time and only if the customer is there giving me the ok.
Amy Rhodes
PADI Master Instructor #183890
A-2-Z Scuba Instruction
http://www.a2zscuba.com
Sounder
I've Got Gills

Post by Sounder »

Thanks - I'm going to have GD help me with the trimming and am picking up a pair of uber-sharp scissors from a sewing shop specifically for that purpose. I'm nervous about screwing it up so I figured I'd let someone who is experienced do it while I watch and learn.