UTD Teaching Methodology

Discuss Team Diving here.
BDub
I've Got Gills

UTD Teaching Methodology

Post by BDub »

Josh’s recent thread asking about mask removal in tech classes made me think about how people may view tech training and how “random” or extreme some of the skills may seem, particularly in UTD training.

So, I’d thought I’d take a few minutes to illustrate some of the reasoning behind the seemingly extreme scenarios students may run in to in the critical skills dives of their UTD training.

First, it’s important to stress that the failures that the students experience in the critical skills dives are not meant to mimic reality. They’re meant to force the divers to think, problem solve and manage the problem. Many times, a failure will be initiated by the instructor for a reason completely different than the obvious. In other words (to Josh’s example), a mask isn’t taken just to see if that student can calmly put on their backup or hold their buoyancy. In fact, in many instances it’s taken to test another teammate’s ability to think or manage the problem. It may even be used to set up another failure for an entirely different reason. In fact, sometimes failures are even setting up a future skills dive.

Likewise, in reality, it’s very unlikely a team of 3 is going to experience a catastrophic failure on 4 of their 6 posts. However, even the smallest failure changes the entire dynamic of the entire team in several ways. A second failure changes everything equally as much. Add a third, and well you get the point.

The point of these failures is not for the instructor, believe it or not, to harass the students for his or her own enjoyment (I know, I know, none of you believe this....It’s just “Evil Brian” talking). It’s meant to a) build a broader awareness, b) force the student to think and not just follow a protocol and c) increase their bandwidth, forcing them to maintain the basics/fundamentals while performing tasks under duress. By increasing that bandwidth, when a real issue does arise underwater, it’s a non-event, since its much less extreme than was experienced in their training.

Every failure is performed for a reason, and much of it is (somewhat) planned before even descending in the sense that we have a specific goal or criteria that we’re looking for. Typically, this criteria is from a behavior or weakness observed in a previous dive. 9 times out of 10, the student has no idea what that goal or criteria are, as they’re focused on something else, like running the line. Many of the simulations we run are meant to address student or team weaknesses in class so the instructor can work with students to develop them as divers. They are not random events thrown out there.

How do we perform failures? We (UTD) have a playbook. This playbook looks much like a football playbook, and illustrates the different failures, and strings of multiple failures, that we perform, what that “play” addresses, what the end goal is and what the likely outcome is. This is an incredibly valuable resource for the instructor and students. Failures are also broken down into levels. There are 4 levels- Level 1, level 2, level 3 and level 4 and like the entire building block methodology of UTD, the stress level is heavily increased with each level. In addition to the failure levels, we have compounding and non-compounding. Head spinning? Well, it took 9 instructors and Andrew 20 hours to develop this 30+ page playbook at the ITC and an additional 8 – 10 additional hours of time collaborating online at home to get it finalized.

Of course, a Rec 1 class isn’t going to experience in level 4 failures, as that wouldn’t be a building block scenario. In other words, students need to be proficient in the fundamental skills of their current level before moving to the next. However, Rec 3 (Helitrox) is a completely different ballgame (sorry Jake and PPants ;) ).

For instance, Intro to Tech is a personal skills class, with no failures. It’s meant to teach the students the fundamental skills of technical diving in a stress (failure) free environment. Once they’re proficient with those skills, they enter Tech 1, which is primarily a “bottom-based” class with a single deco/stage bottle, meaning most failures are experienced on the bottom. The reasoning behind this is the students must be proficient handling bottom failures before moving on to mid-water failures, which is addressed in Tech 2, where stages are also introduced.

The end result? A very comprehensive curriculum, that while seemingly random and chaotic, is a very calculated teaching approach targeted at each individual student to make them better divers, in turn allowing them to enjoy their dives more, because diving is all about having fun. The problems may seem disconnected at the time. But they are presented in a coherent fashion with specific goals in mind to develop student minds and bodies at their own pace in a controlled manner.

This isn’t meant to be a sales pitch for UTD. It’s meant to clarify some of the misconceptions and comments I’ve heard both first hand and second hand about how the scenarios that happen in training would never happen in real life. There is a clear and calculated methodology behind every single skill in every single dive and no 2 critical skills dives are ever remotely the same, in terms of the failures presented and the outcome.

I hope this helps explains how UTD, as an agency, tries to develop students and class teams into confident, mature, thinking divers.

Brian
http://www.frogkickdiving.com/

"It's a lot easier when you're not doing it" - CaseyB449

"There needs to be more strawberry condoms. Just not on my regulator" - DSteding
LCF
I've Got Gills

Re: UTD Teaching Methodology

Post by LCF »

Once they’re proficient with those skills, they enter Tech 1, which is primarily a “bottom-based” class with a single deco/stage bottle, meaning most failures are experienced on the bottom.
This is the best news I've had all week!
"Sometimes, when your world is going sideways, the second best thing to everything working out right, is knowing you are loved..." ljjames
BDub
I've Got Gills

Post by BDub »

LCF wrote:
Once they’re proficient with those skills, they enter Tech 1, which is primarily a “bottom-based” class with a single deco/stage bottle, meaning most failures are experienced on the bottom.
This is the best news I've had all week!
LOL. Slow down, Turbo! I edited the quote for clarity ;)

"There needs to be more strawberry condoms. Just not on my regulator" - DSteding
spatman
I've Got Gills

Post by spatman »

nice write up, brian. for the folks reading this who are unfamiliar with UTD, could you provide some examples what types of "failures" they'd have to deal with in each of the four levels?
CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Post by CaptnJack »

spatman wrote:nice write up, brian. for the folks reading this who are unfamiliar with UTD, could you provide some examples what types of "failures" they'd have to deal with in each of the four levels?
I think its safe to say that its student specific and that Brian's not going to give up the playbook ahead of class.

But... at the Rec3/Tech1-2 levels its safe to say that if you are dependent on something (lights, wing, suit, SMB, etc) it is going to be taken away from you. Similarly if there's "strong" student "carrying" their buddy, that dynamic will be forced to change. Ditto a perpetual Indian or perpetual chief. Obviously at the Rec2 level you need not have a ton of bandwidth to ascend directly to the surface in ~5 mins so any task loading is fairly minimal. Trimix1 and 2 are experience based classes without orchestrated issues per se.
Last edited by CaptnJack on Thu Apr 16, 2009 9:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sounder wrote:Under normal circumstances, I would never tell another man how to shave his balls... but this device should not be kept secret.
LCF
I've Got Gills

Post by LCF »

Yeah, I have to say from my experience with this KIND of teaching, that it will expose your weaknesses and make you work on them. I think AG had me pegged in about ten minutes, and then he didn't waste any time on the things I was good at.
"Sometimes, when your world is going sideways, the second best thing to everything working out right, is knowing you are loved..." ljjames
CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Post by CaptnJack »

LCF wrote:Yeah, I have to say from my experience with this KIND of teaching, that it will expose your weaknesses and make you work on them. I think AG had me pegged in about ten minutes, and then he didn't waste any time on the things I was good at.
Yeah most (both of us included) hire our instructors to help us become better divers by fixing our weak and/or blind spots. Pointing them out and building those areas up takes skill and appropriate supporting materials (for both the instructor and student). I think that's what Brian is getting at with his post, its not just random unrealistic mayhem to see how well you cope.
Sounder wrote:Under normal circumstances, I would never tell another man how to shave his balls... but this device should not be kept secret.
BDub
I've Got Gills

Post by BDub »

spatman wrote:nice write up, brian. for the folks reading this who are unfamiliar with UTD, could you provide some examples what types of "failures" they'd have to deal with in each of the four levels?
Matt, you tricky tricky...

Failures can (and will) occur on any piece of equipment you have, as needed, to help facilitate a movement toward the overall goal. Lots o' gear, lots o' opportunities... :shootself:

spatman
I've Got Gills

Post by spatman »

BDub wrote:[Matt, you tricky tricky...
:evil4:
Sounder
I've Got Gills

Post by Sounder »

Basically, if it can fail, it will. If you really hope it doesn't because you don't like to or aren't good at dealing with it, it'll fail early and often. ...and no, you can't hide the weakness from the instructor. They can read you like a book.
GUE Seattle - The official GUE Affiliate in the Northwest!
spatman
I've Got Gills

Post by spatman »

Sounder wrote:Basically, if it can fail, it will. If you really hope it doesn't because you don't like to or aren't good at dealing with it, it'll fail early and often. ...and no, you can't hide the weakness from the instructor. They can read you like a book.
of course. but it should be noted that Brian most likely won't be exploiting every weakness simultaneously of his Rec1 students.
BDub
I've Got Gills

Post by BDub »

spatman wrote:
Sounder wrote:Basically, if it can fail, it will. If you really hope it doesn't because you don't like to or aren't good at dealing with it, it'll fail early and often. ...and no, you can't hide the weakness from the instructor. They can read you like a book.
of course. but it should be noted that Brian most likely won't be exploiting every weakness simultaneously of his Rec1 students.
Exactly. The Rec 1, Essentials and Intro to Tech courses aren't "Evil Brian" (as you guys call it) courses. There's no point in drilling a Rec 1 student. They aren't even a diver yet. Likewise with Essentials, where they're learning the personal (and a little team) skills needed to move on in the UTD curriculum. Same is true with Intro to Tech, where you're basically learning the skills needed for technical diving.

It goes back to the building block approach again. You've got to be a solid diver before you can be a teammate. If I were to throw a bunch of failures at a Rec 1, Essentials or Intro to Tech student, they wouldn't learn anything, they'd just get throttled for the sake of being throttled, and that's no way to learn. You've got to build a foundation before you start adding the other stuff to it. Ask any Essentials or Intro to Tech student. They'll tell you they have enough to worry about just getting proficient at the skills with no failures.

CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Post by CaptnJack »

LCF wrote:Yeah, I have to say from my experience with this KIND of teaching, that it will expose your weaknesses and make you work on them. I think AG had me pegged in about ten minutes, and then he didn't waste any time on the things I was good at.

Well I only have experience with Andrew (under GUE, then NAUI, now UTD), Chris and Danny (of GUE). I think its not all the same IMHO. Maybe its the uniquness of the cave environment and the desire for consistency (or conversely the fluidity of the OW/wreck environment). Cave2 helped me probably more than any other class (Kevin's report is here: http://www.divematrix.com/showthread.php?t=6624) but it was also surprisingly "scripted" and I didn't think its was designed or structured to me or my weaknesses in any direct way. On the other hand, Andrew's program/materials/(and now) agency that Bdub and Edge are part of is much more tailored to individuals and working on individual issues (and how those issues interact with their buddies). I really didn't learn the protocols which will serve you well 95% of the time in the Tech classes. Nor were Cave1+2 about developing individual decision making around "exceptions" since GUE is a WKPP training program at its core. Without a solid understanding of the cave environment the tech decision tree doesn't make quite as much sense. In the end, both are valuable.

I do know that neither class could be made up on the fly without the instructor having a top notch ITC, agency standards which are aligned with the course objectives, and all the supporting educational materials. Andrew (UTD) has always been WAAAAY out front on this with his old forum, the DVDs, etc. And he's gotten better lately with the webslides and online videos to support his agency's (UTD) classes. GUE has also improved quite a bit. I thought my Cave2 class materials (downloaded) were quite helpful and pulled together a bunch of resources for me. The actual course content for them is held a bit closer to the chest although plenty of course reports hint at it. I do see more and more instructors from various agencies incorporating these kinds of reading/video materials into their classes which is great. But just having some of the tools and techniques without the aligned ITC, coherent teaching methods, complimentary agency standards, heck even a card that actually matches the gases/cert, etc. I think students miss out on many of the benefits of this "kind" of training.
BDub
I've Got Gills

Post by BDub »

I want to stress that the point of my post is to illustrate that there is a method behind the "madness" with UTD critical skills dives. Its not some instructor just willy nilly ripping masks off, airgunning posts, etc.

Is that kind of training for everyone? No. Is that kind of training the ONLY way you'll become a better diver? Absolutely not.

The UTD curriculum is very unique in the sense that there are only 14 or 15 instructors teaching using this method. That doesn't mean its the ONLY good curriculum by any means.

Its just one of several that a diver has to choose from, according to what best suits them.

BDub
I've Got Gills

Post by BDub »

And if you want to see a very serious and intense discussion from when we were developing the playbook, go here, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PQSAOLxno48

spatman
I've Got Gills

Post by spatman »

BDub wrote:And if you want to see a very serious and intense discussion from when we were developing the playbook, go here, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PQSAOLxno48
this better not be you guys in a freakin' hot tub...
BDub
I've Got Gills

Post by BDub »

spatman wrote:
BDub wrote:And if you want to see a very serious and intense discussion from when we were developing the playbook, go here, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PQSAOLxno48
this better not be you guys in a freakin' hot tub...
Who? Me?!?? :uh:

lamont
I've Got Gills

Post by lamont »

CaptnJack wrote: I think its safe to say that its student specific and that Brian's not going to give up the playbook ahead of class.
I actually disagree with this training methodology and keeping secrets about the content of the course.

If you lay all the 'tricks' out ahead of time, students will still fall for all of them, and i know i find the 'surprises' to be substantially less clever than the GUE/UTD instructors think they are. It tends to just slow down the progress of the course and generates provisionals when better prepared students might have gotten through the course.

As an example, in my Tech1 course we had an entirely stock problem where we had one OOG and I donated and then got a right valve failure. Having thought through all the combinatorics ahead of time and done a bunch of reading about Tech1 courses and having been through RecTriox before, I was fully expecting this (with two failed posts out of 4 the instructor can't do another OOG without introducing a 4-post failure, so the choice is which post of the remaining 4 to fail, and failing the lone diver isn't all that interesting, so its going to be a failure of a post in the gas share). The guy who was receiving gas from me hadn't had any kind of instruction in this and this was his first introduction to these kinds of gas failure scenarios, though, so with no prior visualization it wasn't a shock that all the wild gesturing for him to look at the bubbles coming off the post he was breathing off of and should switch to the other guy didn't get it through to him for a long while. There seems to be a theory that this kind of 'surprise' leads to better learning on the part of the student, but I don't tend to agree.

OTOH, Cave 1 was so scripted that the pattern became very easy to figure out. I don't think that really impacted learning, but by the end of course I had it figured out so well that we collectively messed up the final dive pretty badly. By that point in time I had figured out the progression of the introduction of skills on land, in the open water, in the cavern zone and inside the cave. So on the last dive the obvious point was to do a lights out gas sharing exercise in the cave zone. So when my buddy had an unfixable valve failure we goobered it up so bad that we left his isolator open because we were completely burnt out by that point in the course and the valve failure didn't matter (note that in reality i'm unlikely to ever be in a situation where the loss of gas from my buddies manifold isn't worth thinking about because the whole point of the dive is for him to run OOG so that we do an airshare...).
airsix
I've Got Gills

Post by airsix »

Kindergarden through university I don't remember any of the instructors passing out the test questions ahead of time. :dontknow:
"The place looked like a washing machine full of Josh's carharts. I was not into it." --Sockmonkey
CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Post by CaptnJack »

lamont wrote:As an example, in my Tech1 course we had an entirely stock problem where we had one OOG and I donated and then got a right valve failure. Having thought through all the combinatorics ahead of time and done a bunch of reading about Tech1 courses and having been through RecTriox before, I was fully expecting this (with two failed posts out of 4 the instructor can't do another OOG without introducing a 4-post failure, so the choice is which post of the remaining 4 to fail, and failing the lone diver isn't all that interesting, so its going to be a failure of a post in the gas share). The guy who was receiving gas from me hadn't had any kind of instruction in this and this was his first introduction to these kinds of gas failure scenarios, though, so with no prior visualization it wasn't a shock that all the wild gesturing for him to look at the bubbles coming off the post he was breathing off of and should switch to the other guy didn't get it through to him for a long while. There seems to be a theory that this kind of 'surprise' leads to better learning on the part of the student, but I don't tend to agree.
See I would say that the buddy you had donated to was not ready for that kind of highish level failure. "Disclosing" that you can have a right post fail that has been donated shouldn't be necessary. Your right post, or your left post, or your manifold could have failed after donating and your buddy's response should have been the same. He(?) didn't have the bandwidth to say "crap we can't both breath on these tanks anymore, I gotta get gas from to the other guy so Lamont can shut (something) down." Some students just take longer to develop that bandwidth. I think that's why UTD doesn't do 5 day classes like GUE's Tech1 anymore. Memorizing different possible combinations and responses in the dry does not equal bandwidth to think with underwater. I have only taken UTD classes from Andrew but he will screw up any rote learned responses when he notices (probably somewhere around dive2) that's what's going on.

I agree with you that GUE Cave1 (and 2) are quite scripted although at the C2 level its way more obvious that you are playing for keeps.
BDub
I've Got Gills

Post by BDub »

lamont wrote:
CaptnJack wrote: I think its safe to say that its student specific and that Brian's not going to give up the playbook ahead of class.
I actually disagree with this training methodology and keeping secrets about the content of the course.

If you lay all the 'tricks' out ahead of time, students will still fall for all of them, and i know i find the 'surprises' to be substantially less clever than the GUE/UTD instructors think they are. It tends to just slow down the progress of the course and generates provisionals when better prepared students might have gotten through the course.
Again, this training methodology isn't for everyone, and it's certainly not the ONLY good training available.

There's really not a "cleverness" to the failures. Speaking only for myself, I have a pretty good idea/gameplan of what I'm looking to accomplish prior to descending, but its not that rigid. I'm more opportunistic than scripted, and I'm more interested in learning experiences than being clever.

As far as not releasing the "playbook" ahead of time slowing down the process...

I get so tired of hearing students who are constantly going out to practice skills to prepare for their class. Many times they're practicing skills that they will be learning in the very class they're practicing for. I can only imagine what they would go out and "practice" if they knew exactly what would be occuring in their dives. I also think it elminates the "thinking" aspect of it. If they know what's coming, they're just running through the motions, following protocols, yada yada yada.

There's no secret about the different failures and senarios. There's plenty of class reports out there.

I want to see how well the students can a) recognize and assess a situation b) manage that situation. Even if I were to script each dive, if I gave them the playbook, a) there'd be nothing to recognize and assess, since they'd already know what the drill is and b) they wouldn't be managing, they'd simply be following some protocol that they'd already determined because they knew what was going to happen.

These drills don't mimic reality. However, diving is dynamic and unscripted. I prefer to have my training dives that way as well. YMMV

lamont
I've Got Gills

Post by lamont »

airsix wrote:Kindergarden through university I don't remember any of the instructors passing out the test questions ahead of time. :dontknow:
I don't recall showing up to class on day 1 in any math course and getting a test that expected me to solve a problem without having been instructed in how to solve that class of problems. There were very few surprises in any of my math or physics courses on test day.
lamont
I've Got Gills

Post by lamont »

CaptnJack wrote: See I would say that the buddy you had donated to was not ready for that kind of highish level failure. "Disclosing" that you can have a right post fail that has been donated shouldn't be necessary. Your right post, or your left post, or your manifold could have failed after donating and your buddy's response should have been the same. He(?) didn't have the bandwidth to say "crap we can't both breath on these tanks anymore, I gotta get gas from to the other guy so Lamont can shut (something) down." Some students just take longer to develop that bandwidth. I think that's why UTD doesn't do 5 day classes like GUE's Tech1 anymore. Memorizing different possible combinations and responses in the dry does not equal bandwidth to think with underwater. I have only taken UTD classes from Andrew but he will screw up any rote learned responses when he notices (probably somewhere around dive2) that's what's going on.

I agree with you that GUE Cave1 (and 2) are quite scripted although at the C2 level its way more obvious that you are playing for keeps.
I think that the point I'm trying to make is that is the problem wasn't really with "diving" bandwidth, but with "class" bandwidth -- and based on your point about UTD not doing 5 day straight T1 anymore I think we agree. Although I don't agree with the characterization that what I'm talking about is rote memorization -- I'm actually talking about pre-visualization. I did a whole lot better at that part of the course simply because I'd been introduced to it previously and had done a little practice with T2 divers playing the role of BHoD -- but it wasn't memorization, I wasn't operating off some kind of memorized script, it was simply that the basic script of the scenarios weren't particularly surprising to me, so I had a lot more bandwidth available for the unique details.
LCF
I've Got Gills

Post by LCF »

Personally, I probably learned more about myself as a diver in my first dive with Andrew than in many, many class and training dives before that. And a lot of the reason was that the things he threw at me to handle were not only things I'd never handled before, but they were things I hadn't even thought about handling. I had to control the initial shock and then think like crazy about what to do next, keeping all the resources we had and didn't have in mind. It was fun. Although Andrew went on to humble me thoroughly later, he didn't do it by pushing me to where I couldn't think. I couldn't execute, and that's different (and much more amenable to fixing, I think.)

That experience has actually made me decide that it's counterproductive to write extremely detailed class reports, because it deprives other people of that wonderful, transformational moment, when you realize you are facing something you don't have a prepared answer for. Since I seriously doubt that dives going wrong do it in scripted ways, I think that experience is incredibly valuable.
CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Post by CaptnJack »

LCF wrote:Personally, I probably learned more about myself as a diver in my first dive with Andrew than in many, many class and training dives before that. And a lot of the reason was that the things he threw at me to handle were not only things I'd never handled before, but they were things I hadn't even thought about handling. I had to control the initial shock and then think like crazy about what to do next, keeping all the resources we had and didn't have in mind. It was fun. Although Andrew went on to humble me thoroughly later, he didn't do it by pushing me to where I couldn't think. I couldn't execute, and that's different (and much more amenable to fixing, I think.)

That experience has actually made me decide that it's counterproductive to write extremely detailed class reports, because it deprives other people of that wonderful, transformational moment, when you realize you are facing something you don't have a prepared answer for. Since I seriously doubt that dives going wrong do it in scripted ways, I think that experience is incredibly valuable.
:supz: =D>