Dive and Travel Expo

This forum is for all other types of chatter, including non-SCUBA stuff.
brownick
Avid Diver

Dive and Travel Expo

Post by brownick »

I was hoping to check out the dive and travel expo tomorrow (Saturday) and was wondering what time the doors open. I see that it supposedly starts at 10 am though the seminars and speakers also begin at that time. Does anyone know any details about what time the doors are actually scheduled to open? Is there going to be time to check out the booths before the seminars begin?
Tom Nic
I've Got Gills

Re: Dive and Travel Expo

Post by Tom Nic »

The banner at the bottom of the page has all the info you need!

Looking foward to seeing you there.
More Pics Than You Have Time To Look AT
"Anyone who thinks this place is over moderated is bat-crazy anarchist." -Ben, Airsix
"Warning: No dive masters are going to be there, Just a bunch of old fat guys taking pictures of fish." -Bassman
Joshua Smith
I've Got Gills

Post by Joshua Smith »

Woot! I just got back from a long day at the expo. What a hoot! I had a blast! I met tons of people, saw a bunch of old friends, and wandered around and looked at all the pretty dive gear for hours and hours. If you didn't go today, make a point of going tomorrow. You won't regret it!
Maritime Documentation Society

"To venture into the terrible loneliness, one must have something greater than greed. Love. One needs love for life, for intrigue, for mystery."
cardiver
I've Got Gills

Post by cardiver »

Joshua Smith wrote:Woot! I just got back from a long day at the expo. What a hoot! I had a blast! I met tons of people, saw a bunch of old friends, and wandered around and looked at all the pretty dive gear for hours and hours. If you didn't go today, make a point of going tomorrow. You won't regret it!
:banghead: I hate it when work gets in the way of the dive expo!
-Ron T.
"When I'm 80 I'll take up real diving, which is done in a pub..." Ray Ives.
253-227-0856
My Dive Pics...
https://www.facebook.com/RETOPPPHOTOGRAPHY
Dusty2
I've Got Gills

Post by Dusty2 »

Joshua Smith wrote:Woot! I just got back from a long day at the expo. What a hoot! I had a blast! I met tons of people, saw a bunch of old friends, and wandered around and looked at all the pretty dive gear for hours and hours. If you didn't go today, make a point of going tomorrow. You won't regret it!
You forgot about the Rum!! :partyman: :partyman:
Joshua Smith
I've Got Gills

Post by Joshua Smith »

Dusty2 wrote:
You forgot about the Rum!! :partyman: :partyman:
The rum was awesome! But I think someone shut the free rum guy down, shortly after me and my gang of pirates discovered it. Something to do with the WSLCB....

"To venture into the terrible loneliness, one must have something greater than greed. Love. One needs love for life, for intrigue, for mystery."
spatman
I've Got Gills

Post by spatman »

Joshua Smith wrote:The rum was awesome! But I think someone shut the free rum guy down, shortly after me and my gang of pirates discovered it. Something to do with the WSLCB....
ha! no kidding? i'm glad i got mine before eliot ness showed up...
spatman
I've Got Gills

Post by spatman »

here's a couple quick pics i snapped today:
setting up the booth
setting up the booth
chris and dan
chris and dan
the booth in action
the booth in action
LCF
I've Got Gills

Post by LCF »

I missed the rum, but I had a ball. I talked to all kinds of folks who run charters and resorts at various places up in Canada, and I have all kinds of ideas on my wish list for trips. I looked at gear, and talked to the Hollis and White's folks, and I saw some new books and a lot of displays from exotic diving destinations.

I got to say hello to some old friends -- Tobin from DSS, Ben from Dive Xtras (who has some awesome photographs cycling on his display, which were making me whimper with withdrawal symptoms), Laura with the She-P, Scott Boyd with Porthole (who I had never met before, but have talked to a bunch on line), Bob Bailey, Dan Warter, Josh, Pez, Penelope, some non NWDC folks from Bubbles, and my big delight: Getting to meet SB's Doc Intrepid in person. Doc's been a correspondent and mentor ever since I first discovered boards, but I had never actually met him, so that was a big treat.

What a fun event this is -- if you can possibly get down there tomorrow, you should go.

Oh, and I should mention -- I saw a TON of NWDC T-shirts there!
"Sometimes, when your world is going sideways, the second best thing to everything working out right, is knowing you are loved..." ljjames
ljjames
I've Got Gills

Post by ljjames »

Many thanks to everyone who stopped by the booths (Dive X, Innerspace, She-P) in our little corner of the ...pool area (i think maybe the plankton bloom has extended topside?) Tomorrow I'll have to get one of those "Meg Baby" tank tops :) I LOVE it when badass CEO get's married to a way cool lady who 'helps' with marketing ;)

We're gonna look at organizing a NWDC Dive Xtras DEMO day on the Bandito... Scooters/training provided by Dive X, divers just pay the standard charter fee...
----
"I survived the Brittandrea Dorikulla, where's my T-shirt!"
Joshua Smith
I've Got Gills

Post by Joshua Smith »

LCF wrote:Oh, and I should mention -- I saw a TON of NWDC T-shirts there!
Man. I know. That was humbling. There were SO MANY NWDC T shirts there. That was very cool. Our little web site has grown. I met many, many people who I only knew by their internet handles, today. And I still saw a bunch of people wearing our shirts that I didn't recognize....please feel free to introduce yourself, if you see me wandering around with glazed eyes, stumbling from booth to booth! I'm pretty friendly, and rarely ever bite anyone!

edm81363
Aquaphile

Post by edm81363 »

LCF wrote:some non NWDC folks from Bubbles
Just because I mainly lurk here doesn't mean I'm not a NWDC folk! (I did have my NWDC shirt on under my Jack's Diving Locker sweatshirt.)

BTW, Jack's has some UTD Instructors and DM's on staff - you should DEFINITELY consider them as a tropical destination. And Jack Ortiz there is a PNW diver transplanted to Kona. Stop by their booth and say hello to Jeff and Teri... they're fantastic hosts.

[And I should be at the Bubbles booth all day on Sunday.]
-Ed in Mill Creek
OW, AOW, Boat, Deep, EANx, CPR, First Aid, O2, Rescue, HSA, DM
dwashbur
I've Got Gills

Post by dwashbur »

I couldn't wear an NWDC shirt 'cuz I was wearing my "Event Staff" shirt. It's been a long time since I worked an event like this, and frankly, it's a BLAST! I got to yak with some of you folks today, FINALLY got to meet Jan (had to pry myself away to get back to work, could have talked all day) and ran my stinky little feet off. I can't wait to do it again tomorrow!
Dave

"Clearly, you weren't listening to what I'm about to say."
--
Check out my Internet show:
http://www.irvingszoo.com
LCF
I've Got Gills

Post by LCF »

Oh, Jan was there and I didn't get to meet him? That's tragic!

What a great event, to bring so many of us together. A big thanks to the people who organized the event from me.
"Sometimes, when your world is going sideways, the second best thing to everything working out right, is knowing you are loved..." ljjames
Scubak
I've Got Gills

Post by Scubak »

Sounds like good times are being had by all!
Tim and I plan on spending quite a bit of time there tomorrow!
I will make sure I stop, say hello and introduce myself!
Should be a fun day!
Kirsten
"Let's go diving!"
nwscubamom
I've Got Gills

Post by nwscubamom »

I had a fantastic day but didn't get to spend much time other than at the REEF booth - but I did manage to snap a few photos here and there.

Before:

After:

Got myself a sticker and a nice green water bottle that everyone kept thinking was a new pony bottle as I carried it around the expo floor :)

MZ and Dave Washburn:

Bob and Jan:

Georgia and Valerie:

Tom (who just passed his REEF Level 5 test and will now be on the REEF AAT!) :eric:

John at the Browning Pass Hideaway booth

Many, many more photos of NWDC folks and other people you might know are here:
http://nwgeogirl.smugmug.com/gallery/80 ... 1203_tazKj

Enjoy!

- Janna :)
Janna Nichols
My underwater photo galleries
REEF Citizen Science Program Manager
Seen any cool critters lately?
><((((°>
-----------------------------
airsix
I've Got Gills

Post by airsix »

LCF wrote:...and my big delight: Getting to meet SB's Doc Intrepid in person. Doc's been a correspondent and mentor ever since I first discovered boards, but I had never actually met him, so that was a big treat.
That guy is more elusive than a sixgill. You know, he only lives about 10 miles from me (well, when he's living in the state that is) and is a member of my local dive club. For years we've exchanged contact info, planned several meet-ups, said "we should go diving" countless times.... I've still never actually seen him in person. He's my monolith. I keep hearing he exists, but to date there has been no actual physical evidence. #-o

-Ben
"The place looked like a washing machine full of Josh's carharts. I was not into it." --Sockmonkey
Mattleycrue76
I've Got Gills

Post by Mattleycrue76 »

ljjames wrote: Tomorrow I'll have to get one of those "Meg Baby" tank tops :) I LOVE it when badass CEO get's married to a way cool lady who 'helps' with marketing ;)

Looks like someone beat you to it :joshsmith:
Attachments
Sexypez.jpg
"The She-Ps didn't work for either one of us, however- we accidently glued one to Dan's cat, and the other one ended up in a DEA evidence locker somehow." - Joshua Smith
airsix
I've Got Gills

Post by airsix »

FAIL.
"The place looked like a washing machine full of Josh's carharts. I was not into it." --Sockmonkey
Seaslave
Compulsive Diver

Post by Seaslave »

Made it down to the Expo today! I found the Dive Club booth and picked up my swag, got my tshirt, water bottle and a couple stickers. I got to meet Scottsax, Pez, Laura and met Bob in passing on the escalator. I spent alot of time at the Innerspace booth. I want a Meg so bad.... The highlight for me was meeting John Chatterton though. Had a great day and enjoyed meeting some folks from the Club. :supz:

Mathue
Me, John and my buddy Jason
Me, John and my buddy Jason
Nwbrewer
I've Got Gills

Post by Nwbrewer »

Mattleycrue76 wrote:
ljjames wrote: Tomorrow I'll have to get one of those "Meg Baby" tank tops :) I LOVE it when badass CEO get's married to a way cool lady who 'helps' with marketing ;)

Looks like someone beat you to it :joshsmith:
Wow, not cool. I was eating....
"Screw "annual" service,... I get them serviced when they break." - CaptnJack (paraphrased)

"you do realize you're supposed to mix the :koolaid: with water and drink it, not snort the powder directly from the packet, right? :smt064 " - Spatman
no excuses
Extreme Diving Machine

Post by no excuses »

was palaning on going but ended up going diving instead. Tough choices, go diving or go to the expo, :dontknow: .Kinda of a win win which ever choice I made :wink:
Joshua Smith
I've Got Gills

Post by Joshua Smith »

w00t! I had a stupid amount of fun this weekend! I just cleaned up after the "after party" at my house :occasion5: :partyman: :mmmbeer: . And I think I ought to drink some water and head to bed. Thanks to everyone who came and said hello at our booth today, I love all of you!

Zen Diver
DAN Ambassador

Post by Zen Diver »

Joshua Smith wrote: Thanks to everyone who came and said hello at our booth today, I love all of you!
:grouphug:
Penopolypants
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Post by Penopolypants »

Joshua Smith wrote:w00t! I had a stupid amount of fun this weekend! I just cleaned up after the "after party" at my house :occasion5: :partyman: :mmmbeer: . And I think I ought to drink some water and head to bed. Thanks to everyone who came and said hello at our booth today, I love all of you!
Aw, we love you too, Most Gracious Cat Herder! :luv:

It was good to put some faces to some user names this weekend. Thanks to everyone who helped set up, break down, order sway, man the trenches, and especially those who stopped by to say hi!

And welcome to our new members!
Come to the nerd side, we have pi!