New Oceanic Compass

Need advice on recreational gear configurations? Look no further than this equipment forum.
Sergeant Pepper
Perma Narc'd

New Oceanic Compass

Post by Sergeant Pepper »

I'm in the market for a compass, any opinions about the new Oceanic one?
Joshua Smith
I've Got Gills

Post by Joshua Smith »

Yes: Get the Suunto SK-7 instead.
Maritime Documentation Society

"To venture into the terrible loneliness, one must have something greater than greed. Love. One needs love for life, for intrigue, for mystery."
Tangfish
NWDC Mascot
NWDC Mascot

Post by Tangfish »

Hah, I'd take Nailer's word for it since he just got the Oceanic and previously had the Suunto. I have the Suunto too and I like it a lot.
Joshua Smith
I've Got Gills

Post by Joshua Smith »

I've got a wrist mount SK-7 on order, the Oceanic is a stopgap. The Oceanic is OK, but it seems like every time I look at it, the bezel has shifted way off the heading I set on it, so I have to remember the heading I set at the begining of the dive and check it every time I use it. Of course, this is always a good idea, anyway, and I know the headings to shore at the two places I dive the most anyway: Cove 2 is 210, and Mukilteo T-Dock is 150. It's just irritating, being 90% sure you're going to have to reset your compass every time you use it, and it could be dangerous for someone who didn't know their original bearing, to start heading away from shore, out into open water, when they're trying to get back to their start point.
Maritime Documentation Society

"To venture into the terrible loneliness, one must have something greater than greed. Love. One needs love for life, for intrigue, for mystery."