Backup light suggestions

General topics about technical diving.
sunnydude
Extreme Diving Machine

Re: Backup light suggestions

Post by sunnydude »

Mattleycrue76 wrote:So far I love this bright lil sucker
Matt...are you using this light instead of your UK light?
Sean
airsix
I've Got Gills

Post by airsix »

sunnydude wrote:Piranha Dive has a deal on the Penetrater 180 lumen light for $46!

http://www.piranhadivemfg.com/products.html

They are on the second page.
That looks like a winner. Anyone try one yet? It's 2" longer than the Vega, but uses AAA and has 2.5x the burn-time. Hmmm.... tough call.
"The place looked like a washing machine full of Josh's carharts. I was not into it." --Sockmonkey
Joshua Smith
I've Got Gills

Post by Joshua Smith »

airsix wrote:
sunnydude wrote:Piranha Dive has a deal on the Penetrater 180 lumen light for $46!

http://www.piranhadivemfg.com/products.html

They are on the second page.
That looks like a winner. Anyone try one yet? It's 2" longer than the Vega, but uses AAA and has 2.5x the burn-time. Hmmm.... tough call.
Yeah- that DOES look like a neat light, and the price is right, but I'd like to hear from one person who owns one before I buy. I've never heard of this brand before.....
Maritime Documentation Society

"To venture into the terrible loneliness, one must have something greater than greed. Love. One needs love for life, for intrigue, for mystery."
CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Post by CaptnJack »

Too bad its aluminum. Diving saltwater mostly and knowing I don't rinse mine like a probably should; I prefer delrin. Having the threads corrode together a little and be hard to turn on would really suck. This is the tech diving forum, reliability when you really really need it is key (same reason I am not keen on rechargables, too much self discharge to keep an eye on).
Sounder wrote:Under normal circumstances, I would never tell another man how to shave his balls... but this device should not be kept secret.
airsix
I've Got Gills

Post by airsix »

CaptnJack wrote:Too bad its aluminum. Diving saltwater mostly and knowing I don't rinse mine like a probably should; I prefer delrin. Having the threads corrode together a little and be hard to turn on would really suck. This is the tech diving forum, reliability when you really really need it is key (same reason I am not keen on rechargables, too much self discharge to keep an eye on).
The threads on any twist light should be on the dry-side of the O-rings. Also, the light is anodized. But I see your point and it's worth taking into consideration. I'm still interested.

-Ben
"The place looked like a washing machine full of Josh's carharts. I was not into it." --Sockmonkey
CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Post by CaptnJack »

The big risk with the plastics/delrin is munging up the threads after testing them. I did that once, fortunately its pretty noticable in the dry.

AL is likely more durable but has the corrosion question. I've had valves corrode onto AL tanks before, not the threads proper which are behind the oring, but the top surface of the tank and the bottom flat of the valve. AL oxide can build up in there and freeze them together. I have had to use oil to get the valve free a couple times. Granted better maintenance may help with this, maybe I didn't rinse it well enough etc.
Sounder wrote:Under normal circumstances, I would never tell another man how to shave his balls... but this device should not be kept secret.
Joshua Smith
I've Got Gills

Post by Joshua Smith »

CaptnJack wrote:The big risk with the plastics/delrin is munging up the threads after testing them. I did that once, fortunately its pretty noticable in the dry.

AL is likely more durable but has the corrosion question. I've had valves corrode onto AL tanks before, not the threads proper which are behind the oring, but the top surface of the tank and the bottom flat of the valve. AL oxide can build up in there and freeze them together. I have had to use oil to get the valve free a couple times. Granted better maintenance may help with this, maybe I didn't rinse it well enough etc.
I've started dumping smaller items into a 5 gallon bucket of fresh water after they get rinsed off in the driveway. I'll let 'em soak overnight like that. Seems to work pretty well, and it's easy to do.

"To venture into the terrible loneliness, one must have something greater than greed. Love. One needs love for life, for intrigue, for mystery."
Mattleycrue76
I've Got Gills

Post by Mattleycrue76 »

Seems like I made an error which needs clarifying. The OMS Vega can be had for around $50 or $79 for a pair at the site below. The Vega K2 which is much more powerful is $86 there. Still a heck of a deal for the output and quality of craftsmanship if you ask me.

Plus it's purdy !

http://caveadventurers.com/store/index. ... rers_id=10
"The She-Ps didn't work for either one of us, however- we accidently glued one to Dan's cat, and the other one ended up in a DEA evidence locker somehow." - Joshua Smith
CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Post by CaptnJack »

Joshua Smith wrote:
CaptnJack wrote:The big risk with the plastics/delrin is munging up the threads after testing them. I did that once, fortunately its pretty noticable in the dry.

I've started dumping smaller items into a 5 gallon bucket of fresh water after they get rinsed off in the driveway. I'll let 'em soak overnight like that. Seems to work pretty well, and it's easy to do.
Yeah I have a "trough" that I am soaking regs, scooter, and plate with attached backups etc. I just chuck it all in there and let it soak as long as possible. The hose wasn't cutting it. But I have still got a valve just last month. I know I am hard on gear like this.
Joshua Smith
I've Got Gills

Post by Joshua Smith »

Mattleycrue76 wrote:Seems like I made an error which needs clarifying. The OMS Vega can be had for around $50 or $79 for a pair at the site below. The Vega K2 which is much more powerful is $86 there. Still a heck of a deal for the output and quality of craftsmanship if you ask me.

Plus it's purdy !

Thanks for the hook-up, Matt. Maverick and I are splitting the "two light" package on the Vega- ~45 bucks each. Pretty good deal, there. If I like it, maybe I'll buy the bigger one....I knd of ignored OMS stuff for a while, after really hating an OMS wing I bought several years ago, and OMS just doesn't seem too big here on the West Coast. But for that price, I'm perfectly willing to try one of their lights.

Tangfish
NWDC Mascot
NWDC Mascot

Post by Tangfish »

I bought the OMS backup light from spatman and I like it. It doesn't turn on by accident like my Tusa was doing (even though that sucker is bright as hell).
Joshua Smith
I've Got Gills

Post by Joshua Smith »

It's funny how life works, sometimes. I finally got around to rigging up my nifty new OMS Vega 3w backup light this morning, right before I left to go meet Blitz for a dive. It's been sitting in the driver's side door storage compartment in my van for weeks, and I've just been too lazy to attach a bolt snap to it and rig it to my harness, for some reason. Anyway, I finally did it, threw my Meg in the van, and drove down to meet Mark for a dive....we dropped down in about 30 feet of water, and for the first time, ever, my beloved Salvo 21 watt wasn't working! (Further inspection after I got back home is pointing to a short where the cord meets the can, but that's another story.)

So, I clipped off the head and did the whole dive on the lil' Vega. It kicked butt, for a backup light. I'm pleased. In the shallows, where we had ambient light, it was underwhelming, but even Mark's 21w Primary wasn't so good there- by the time we'd worked our way down to the I beams, it was just fine- I was able to see everything I wanted to, and signal my buddy when I wanted to- this is a pretty good light, IMO. I may order another in order to have a matched pair. As was pointed out in previous posts, there's a pretty decent deal on them at cave adventurers:

2 of them for 80 bucks- hard to beat. I split one of these with a buddy, but now I want another....

Burntchef
I've Got Gills

Post by Burntchef »

Joshua Smith wrote:http://caveadventurers.com/store/index. ... rers_id=10

2 of them for 80 bucks- hard to beat. I split one of these with a buddy, but now I want another....
if you buy another set i will take the second off your hands
Chin high, puffed chest, we step right to it
The choice is there ain't no choice but to pursue it

"Diving the gas is the easy part, not much to it, plenty of retards are using it safely. " jamieZ
Mattleycrue76
I've Got Gills

Post by Mattleycrue76 »

Glad you like it. I really want to see what that K2 is like
"The She-Ps didn't work for either one of us, however- we accidently glued one to Dan's cat, and the other one ended up in a DEA evidence locker somehow." - Joshua Smith
WellEquippedDiver
Just Settling In

Post by WellEquippedDiver »

After my OMS Vega took a S*** on me, I rethought going cheap and decided to do it right. I saw a nice little 10 w SCULA from Hydro Light, which is all self contained and less apt to flood. PLUS, it's rechargeable, and I won't have too much light envy when on back-up with friends. On non-tec night dives, with buddies who don't have nice lights, it's handy to give them the SCULA and the wrist strap mount so that everyone is happy. At this point, I feel like a SCULA rep, because people tend to buy one after I let them borrow mine. It's a nice little light, and actually isn't annoying whatsoever when it's sitting in it's bike tire retainer on my harness.

Just my two cents :rawlings:
sheahanmcculla
I've Got Gills

Post by sheahanmcculla »

I think I am going to get one of these, they have way better reviews then the Dorcy 180 and cheaper...
Attachments
2-4-2010 7-16-33 AM.jpg
spatman
I've Got Gills

Post by spatman »

sheahanmcculla wrote:I think I am going to get one of these, they have way better reviews then the Dorcy 180 and cheaper...
i have one of those, and it's a great light for the price. be sure to get the one with the narrow beam, though.
Grateful Diver
I've Got Gills

Post by Grateful Diver »

spatman wrote:
sheahanmcculla wrote:I think I am going to get one of these, they have way better reviews then the Dorcy 180 and cheaper...
i have one of those, and it's a great light for the price. be sure to get the one with the narrow beam, though.
Yup ... I bought two back when I had that Oxycheq fiasco, and didn't realize I was ordering the wide-beam lights. They're fairly useless as dive lights. I guess in warm, clear water they might be good for something ... but way too wide to signal with.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)
Threats and ultimatums are never the best answer. Public humiliation via Photoshop is always better - airsix

Come visit me at http://www.nwgratefuldiver.com/
sheahanmcculla
I've Got Gills

Post by sheahanmcculla »

spatman wrote:

Where did you get yours? and what do I look for to make sure I get the right one?

Thanks
spatman
I've Got Gills

Post by spatman »

sheahanmcculla wrote:Where did you get yours? and what do I look for to make sure I get the right one?

Thanks
they usually specify narrow beam in the description.

i think i got mine from divegearexpress.

http://www.divegearexpress.com/lights/backuplt.shtml
sheahanmcculla
I've Got Gills

Post by sheahanmcculla »

Thanks Spat,

Can I ask you another one? Did you go for the clicky switch or the longer version with the slide switch? And I assume you use it with a hog. Harness under some innertube?
LCF
I've Got Gills

Post by LCF »

I don't know why the Dorcys would get bad reviews. We've had ours about six months and are pretty happy with them. The beam is bright and very well focused -- easier to see than my Salvo Rat, Jr., although not quite as nice as the unfortunately unreliable Raider IV. My only two criticisms are that the hole in the end cuts cave line (they've fixed that) and that the light has a tendency to turn itself on at depth, which is only a matter of learning how far to back it off after you've tested it. We've had no floods or leaks at all.
"Sometimes, when your world is going sideways, the second best thing to everything working out right, is knowing you are loved..." ljjames
ljjames
I've Got Gills

Post by ljjames »

This is my favorite backup light. were in need of a set today, this is what i'd get...

http://www.heser-backup.de/backup_en.html

Who don't i have them already?

I have 2 H scouts
and 2 H mini-scouts (LED)

I'm still waiting for any of them to die so that i can justify a new light, but it's like 6 years and counting on the scouts and however long the mini-scout has been out (4 or 5 years?). I LOVE the mini-scouts. Yes, I was a sucker and bought them when they FIRST came out and then did the LED upgrade the following month or so. *sigh*

So i guess what i'm sayin' here is that despite the logo (that some people dislike) and the price, the halcyons are an awesome light. I've never had a flood or a failure to turn on when i needed them :) They can be picked up at good prices on TDS too...

FWIW, I don't really understand why people try so hard to find the cheapest backup lights... This is the light that in theory will 'get you home'. It's the light you end up in general treating like crap, not checking the batteries, etc... For a backup light, i want the most durable, most reliable, bright/focused, long duration, can hammer nails, drive over it with a hummer (oh wait, thats my 'breather) etc... that i can get. If I can't afford it this month, then I keep saving and get it when I can. If I can't afford a good backup light then maybe i'm not quite ready for the impending costs of getting into tech. I realize we are not in caves out here in the northwest, but in general the philosophy is the same with regards to choosing a backup.
Josh, this little rant isn't directed at you, it's just an 'in general' rant ;)
Last edited by ljjames on Thu Feb 04, 2010 8:46 am, edited 2 times in total.
----
"I survived the Brittandrea Dorikulla, where's my T-shirt!"
sheahanmcculla
I've Got Gills

Post by sheahanmcculla »

LCF wrote:I don't know why the Dorcys would get bad reviews. We've had ours about six months and are pretty happy with them. The beam is bright and very well focused -- easier to see than my Salvo Rat, Jr., although not quite as nice as the unfortunately unreliable Raider IV. My only two criticisms are that the hole in the end cuts cave line (they've fixed that) and that the light has a tendency to turn itself on at depth, which is only a matter of learning how far to back it off after you've tested it. We've had no floods or leaks at all.

I was really liking the Dorcy but then some people had issues with flooding and flickering, but this was the straw for me...beam comparison.

Quoted from Scuba toys:
"This is a side-by-side comparison of the Dorcy 6-AAA light with the new Intova Compact 3-AAA light. The Intova is on the left and the Dorcy is on the right. The both seem to throw about the same overall amount of light, but the Intova has a much brighter and well defined hot spot. The distance from the wall is 20 feet and the Intova hot spot is about 20 inches in diameter, the Dorsy hot spot is about 24 inches

Below are the lights for size comparison. The Dorsy is 6.25 inches long and 1.25 in diameter. The Intova is 5.5 inches long and 1.0 inch in diameter for most of its length."
Attachments
light2.JPG
light1.JPG
Nwbrewer
I've Got Gills

Post by Nwbrewer »

ljjames wrote:This is my favorite backup light. were in need of a set today, this is what i'd get...

http://www.heser-backup.de/backup_en.html

Who don't i have them already?

I have 2 H scouts
and 2 H mini-scouts (LED)

I'm still waiting for any of them to die so that i can justify a new light, but it's like 6 years and counting on the scouts and however long the mini-scout has been out (4 or 5 years?). I LOVE the mini-scouts. Yes, I was a sucker and bought them when they FIRST came out and then did the LED upgrade the following month or so. *sigh*

So i guess what i'm sayin' here is that despite the logo (that some people dislike) and the price, the halcyons are an awesome light. I've never had a flood or a failure to turn on when i needed them :) They can be picked up at good prices on TDS too...

FWIW, I don't really understand why people try so hard to find the cheapest backup lights... This is the light that in theory will 'get you home'. It's the light you end up in general treating like crap, not checking the batteries, etc... For a backup light, i want the most durable, most reliable, bright/focused, long duration, can hammer nails, drive over it with a hummer (oh wait, thats my 'breather) etc... that i can get. If I can't afford it this month, then I keep saving and get it when I can. If I can't afford a good backup light then maybe i'm not quite ready for the impending costs of getting into tech. I realize we are not in caves out here in the northwest, but in general the philosophy is the same with regards to choosing a backup.

Just upgrade your miniscouts with Lithium batteries and a drop in with an xp-g. 340 lumens and it won't use any more power than the 90 lumen drop ins you have now. H20Doc had one in one of his low power canlights, i have to say I was impressed.
"Screw "annual" service,... I get them serviced when they break." - CaptnJack (paraphrased)

"you do realize you're supposed to mix the :koolaid: with water and drink it, not snort the powder directly from the packet, right? :smt064 " - Spatman