Backup light suggestions

General topics about technical diving.
Joshua Smith
I've Got Gills

Backup light suggestions

Post by Joshua Smith »

I lost my beloved Rat Jr. on a dive a while back. Stupid mistake, and I don't want to talk about it, but the guy underneath me on the deco station watched it drop into 240' of water and couldn't reach it. I'm not sure if I want to buy the same light again- I got it "free" with a 1200$ primary. It worked OK, but I wasn't blown away by it.

So, I'm in the market for a replacement, but not really sure what I should get- there are a lot of cool options out, and I haven't done much research.

What are you using? What do you like/hate about it? What would you buy today, if you were in the market?
Maritime Documentation Society

"To venture into the terrible loneliness, one must have something greater than greed. Love. One needs love for life, for intrigue, for mystery."
Burntchef
I've Got Gills

Re: Backup light suggestions

Post by Burntchef »

been reading some really good reviews about the new sartek back ups. there seems to be 2 new price categories for backups lately, sub $100 and $2-300!!!

what end of the spectrum are you looking at?

this intova is supposed to be a great light and cheap http://www.divegearexpress.com/lights/backuplt.shtml
Chin high, puffed chest, we step right to it
The choice is there ain't no choice but to pursue it

"Diving the gas is the easy part, not much to it, plenty of retards are using it safely. " jamieZ
Joshua Smith
I've Got Gills

Post by Joshua Smith »

Yeah, damn, I've seen some pretty cool looking FIVE HUNDRED DOLLAR backups. I guess I'm looking at the ~100 dollar backups, pretty much. I'd go ~150 ish, but if it gets into the 200$ range, that better be one %*&@ing badass light, namsaynin' G?

"To venture into the terrible loneliness, one must have something greater than greed. Love. One needs love for life, for intrigue, for mystery."
Bric Martin
Aquanaut

Post by Bric Martin »

I have an Intova Back-up light. Its a good light. If there is a flaw its the design of the switch. With thick gloves and no viz the switch can be a little difficult. Overall its a good light.
Bric Martin

Save the Oceans, Save Ourselves!
RIP LCF
https://goo.gl/photos/tSdZZHXf4xejLBSz5
https://goo.gl/photos/fTCN7LuFvxWYF11e8
Grateful Diver
I've Got Gills

Post by Grateful Diver »

I have a couple of Intovas as well ... unfortunately, I somehow managed to order the wide-beam ones. As noted, the switch is a bit difficult to find with dry gloves on. I've tried them underwater, and decided that they're better suited (because of the wide beam) for tropical diving and camping.

Besides those, I have two Photon Torpedos that I'm just thrilled with. I've had them for a few years now (since they came out with an LED model), and couldn't be happier. They're a bit on the large side, but other than that they have nothing but advantages.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)
Threats and ultimatums are never the best answer. Public humiliation via Photoshop is always better - airsix

Come visit me at http://www.nwgratefuldiver.com/
Nwbrewer
I've Got Gills

Post by Nwbrewer »

Josh, you're not a small guy, I'd say the Scout/Rat/Photon torpedo in LED. Stupid simple design, reliable and bright. The only issue I have with the Sartek is that it sounds like it won't handle being turned on outside the water (melts) Backups should be reliable and worry free. (melting it bad) I like reed switches, but the intova design sucks. Too many reports of the switches falling out.

Anybody know if Salvo is upgrading the LED module in the Rat jr. to the new LED that UK is using in the Q40? Should be way brighter.
"Screw "annual" service,... I get them serviced when they break." - CaptnJack (paraphrased)

"you do realize you're supposed to mix the :koolaid: with water and drink it, not snort the powder directly from the packet, right? :smt064 " - Spatman
LCF
I've Got Gills

Post by LCF »

Oh, man, backup lights . . . I'm not even sure how many I've owned at this point. I've got one of the Oxycheq Raider IVs, and it's one impressive light, but the reliability track record on them is so bad that I can't recommend buying one. I just got lucky with mine, I think.

Second to that would be the PT or Halcyon Scout with the LED upgrade. You can buy the PT with an LED, and I think you can buy the Scout that way, but if I remember right, the Scout module isn't as bright or as focused as the UK SL4 eLED module, which is what we have. We bought two of the halogen Scouts off eBay for $50 each, and bought the SL4 lights for $69 or something, and put the LED module in the Scout and the halogen module in the SL4 -- Presto, one superb backup light, and a handy household or boat flashlight, too!
"Sometimes, when your world is going sideways, the second best thing to everything working out right, is knowing you are loved..." ljjames
spatman
I've Got Gills

Post by spatman »

i'm using the oxycheq raider 3w, which is pretty bright for it's size and has a narrow beam. overall it's a good little light.

but like jynne mentioned, oxycheq's track record on these hasn't been very good. i ordered two and both were defective and had to be replaced.
Nwbrewer
I've Got Gills

Post by Nwbrewer »

LCF wrote:Oh, man, backup lights . . . I'm not even sure how many I've owned at this point. I've got one of the Oxycheq Raider IVs, and it's one impressive light, but the reliability track record on them is so bad that I can't recommend buying one. I just got lucky with mine, I think.

Second to that would be the PT or Halcyon Scout with the LED upgrade. You can buy the PT with an LED, and I think you can buy the Scout that way, but if I remember right, the Scout module isn't as bright or as focused as the UK SL4 eLED module, which is what we have. We bought two of the halogen Scouts off eBay for $50 each, and bought the SL4 lights for $69 or something, and put the LED module in the Scout and the halogen module in the SL4 -- Presto, one superb backup light, and a handy household or boat flashlight, too!
If you can find some used Halogen scouts or PT's, you should be able to get the upgrade cheaper than that. I made an upgrade module using a $12 drop in from Dealextreme. Really bright and well focused.
"Screw "annual" service,... I get them serviced when they break." - CaptnJack (paraphrased)

"you do realize you're supposed to mix the :koolaid: with water and drink it, not snort the powder directly from the packet, right? :smt064 " - Spatman
Sounder
I've Got Gills

Post by Sounder »

I'm pretty happy with the Rat light, but I think I'm going to upgrade in an expensive way.

Cost being no issue, the 9w LED hand-held light by Salvo makes an incredible back-up. I have a 10w HID version of it (not available to buy) and am going to pick up a 9w LED version as my second back-up.

I really like having a big light as back-up. It's also great to hand off to someone who needs a good light for your dive like a new diver. It is expensive, but when I've forgotten to charge my primary and it goes kaput, I have a big light available that can signal beautifully in our waters.
GUE Seattle - The official GUE Affiliate in the Northwest!
CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Post by CaptnJack »

LCF wrote:Oh, man, backup lights . . . I'm not even sure how many I've owned at this point. I've got one of the Oxycheq Raider IVs, and it's one impressive light, but the reliability track record on them is so bad that I can't recommend buying one. I just got lucky with mine, I think.

I did the same thing as LCF, back when they only easy way to get a UK-Led module was to just buy an SL4 from Leisurepro. I did this with all our backup lights after buying a photon torpedo led (which uses the UK module). My favs are the halcyon 2 C-cell miniscouts with UK led. Not the world's most focused beam (mostly due to the lower voltage since its way more focused/bright with 3 c-cells driving it). But they burn for hours, are compact, and have the twist on switch design I like.

The halcyon led is supposedly much upgraded in the past year or 2, but I generally find their stuff overpriced.
Sounder wrote:Under normal circumstances, I would never tell another man how to shave his balls... but this device should not be kept secret.
CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Post by CaptnJack »

Sounder wrote:I'm pretty happy with the Rat light, but I think I'm going to upgrade in an expensive way.

Cost being no issue, the 9w LED hand-held light by Salvo makes an incredible back-up. I have a 10w HID version of it (not available to buy) and am going to pick up a 9w LED version as my second back-up.

I really like having a big light as back-up. It's also great to hand off to someone who needs a good light for your dive like a new diver. It is expensive, but when I've forgotten to charge my primary and it goes kaput, I have a big light available that can signal beautifully in our waters.
Just carry a spare canister light in the truck for new divers.

Edge dove the Urania with us (140ft in the Lake) on a photon torpedo Led, not that big a deal. 10w HID backups are overkill, you are better off with a reliable, nearly floodproof, alkaline powered backup light (they hold their juice in storage unlike rechargables).

Check your primary battery before diving even li-ion voltage is a reasonable state of charge.
Sounder wrote:Under normal circumstances, I would never tell another man how to shave his balls... but this device should not be kept secret.
camerone
Submariner

Post by camerone »

+1 for the Intovas...I've been on them for well over a year now. They have a five watt version, and even the older three watt ones are good.

They're compact, built like tanks out of aluminum, have a magnetic switch (which means the only set of o-rings is the sealing set, and they're less than $50 each (with the three watt versions occasionally < $30 if you shop hard enough). The switch isn't bad underwater even with gloves although I recommend covering it with the innertube on your harness to avoid accidentally turnign it on.

After owning these, I can't fathom any reason to ever pay more than $50 for a backup light...there are much better things to spend the money on.

-C
There are no stupid questions, but there sure are a lot of inquisitive idiots...
Dmitchell
Perma Narc'd

Post by Dmitchell »

The New UK lights are hot! I've done night dives with just that little light. Right now, I have 8 on order and 7 are sold. You should check them out!
Dave Mitchell
Joshua Smith
I've Got Gills

Post by Joshua Smith »

Dmitchell wrote:The New UK lights are hot! I've done night dives with just that little light. Right now, I have 8 on order and 7 are sold. You should check them out!

? I haven't heard of them- got a link or somethin' ?

Nwbrewer
I've Got Gills

Post by Nwbrewer »

I think he means these -
http://www.uwkinetics.com/product/122

Mattleycrue76
I've Got Gills

Post by Mattleycrue76 »

I just picked up the OMS Vega K2 the other day. MSRP $93. If you look around you can find one for about $50. I love the machined aluminum look, the size (really compact) and it's really bright. The only thing is it uses cr123a Lithium batteries which can be expensive if you buy them at safeway. Online they're like $.079

http://www.omsdive.com/lights.html#VEGA

So far I love this bright lil sucker
Attachments
oms vega.jpg
oms vega.jpg (6.32 KiB) Viewed 2378 times
Last edited by Mattleycrue76 on Thu May 14, 2009 11:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
"The She-Ps didn't work for either one of us, however- we accidently glued one to Dan's cat, and the other one ended up in a DEA evidence locker somehow." - Joshua Smith
Dmitchell
Perma Narc'd

Post by Dmitchell »

Nwbrewer wrote:I think he means these -
Yes, that's the one!
Dave Mitchell
Sounder
I've Got Gills

Post by Sounder »

CaptnJack wrote:
Sounder wrote:I'm pretty happy with the Rat light, but I think I'm going to upgrade in an expensive way.

Just carry a spare canister light in the truck for new divers.

Edge dove the Urania with us (140ft in the Lake) on a photon torpedo Led, not that big a deal. 10w HID backups are overkill, you are better off with a reliable, nearly floodproof, alkaline powered backup light (they hold their juice in storage unlike rechargables).

Check your primary battery before diving even li-ion voltage is a reasonable state of charge.
The second can-light is in the works too. I'm deciding between the 12w LED and a 21w HID... and I'm leaning toward the HID.

The 9w LED or 10w HID back-up is definitely more than you need, but it sure is nice. The same can be said for a lot of dive gear - you don't "need it" but it sure makes things nicer.

That said, they're definitely about the most expensive back-up light you'll find as they're not actually intended to serve that purpose.

Presently, I've been pretty happy with the Rat light (3w LED). It's a good all-around back-up, and it's on-par with it's peers.
GUE Seattle - The official GUE Affiliate in the Northwest!
CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Post by CaptnJack »

price?
switch style?
Joshua Smith
I've Got Gills

Post by Joshua Smith »

CaptnJack wrote:
price?
switch style?

About 100 bucks, not sure about the switch. Looks pretty nifty. I'm tempted.

Dmitchell
Perma Narc'd

Post by Dmitchell »

$125

There is no switch, it's twist on. I've had one since December and It's dandy and really small. You can use it rechargeable or stick 2 - CR-123 batteries in it.
Dave Mitchell
airsix
I've Got Gills

Post by airsix »

Mattly, where can a guy get a deal on those Vegas? $50 for 180 lumens! And it's a solid aluminum twist-on. Are you people paying attention?!!! Not to bang on the UK, but that's 2.5x the price and 1/2 the brightness. And plastic. I've very interested in the OMS.

(joke) Lash 3 of them together and you've got a 500 lumen (10w HID equiv.) primary for $150! (/joke)

But seriously, where can a guy get these for the $50 you speak of. I want one (ok, two actually).
"The place looked like a washing machine full of Josh's carharts. I was not into it." --Sockmonkey
Joshua Smith
I've Got Gills

Post by Joshua Smith »

I'm so pleased with the Tektite strobe I bought a while back, I'm considering THIS LITTLE BEAUTY as well, but it's 150 bucks....

sunnydude
Extreme Diving Machine

Post by sunnydude »

Piranha Dive has a deal on the Penetrater 180 lumen light for $46!

http://www.piranhadivemfg.com/products.html

They are on the second page.
Sean