Sunnyside Beach 5/16

Tell us your tale of coming nose-to-nose with a 6 gill [--this big--], or about your vacation to turquoise warm waters. Share your adventures here!
FlyinV
Dive-aholic

Sunnyside Beach 5/16

Post by FlyinV »

I had a couple excellent dives at Sunnyside beach today -- The vis was much improved over 2 weeks ago!
I saw a Pacific Spiny Lumpsucker and noticed a lot of very tiny creatures that I never saw before.
I tried to get a picture of that little guy but I was way too slow and fumbling around :( Oh well the hunt goes on for the proof.

What makes me the most happy is my SAC rate breaking .7 :supz: So I am not feeling like such an air hog anymore.
I know it can get much much better but not sucking down 1.0 on a contant basis sure feels good to me :)

Perhaps I can break .6 before the end of my first diving year coming up at the end of July.

I sure love diving and I love this forum -- I don't post much but I am a constant lurker and the knowledge in this forum is second to none for PNW diving ... Thanks everyone :grouphug:
Last edited by FlyinV on Sun May 17, 2009 10:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
nwscubamom
I've Got Gills

Re: Sunnyside Beach 5/16

Post by nwscubamom »

We hit the pipeline on our first dive, but TOTALLY and completely missed it on our second dive! :( Still saw a lot of cool stuff though. I'll post the photos in the critter forum. And I'm jealous of your Spiny Lumpsucker - that's very cool!!

- Janna
Janna Nichols
My underwater photo galleries
REEF Citizen Science Program Manager
Seen any cool critters lately?
><((((°>
-----------------------------
Gooch
Submariner

Post by Gooch »

It was a great day for diving; both topside and underwater! Lots of life on the pipeline, good viz that day, good folks to dive with; I even found a nice watch on the bottom! Fortunately, it was re-united with its rightful owner (the boss in this case) :) It was a great time and our first time there. I'd recommend it for any dive skill level.
Attachments
Picture 031.jpg
Picture 028.jpg
Picture 051.jpg
Picture 054.jpg
Picture 057.jpg
Picture 053.jpg
Picture 050.jpg
Picture 043.jpg
Picture 040.jpg
http://nwdivers.me/blog/ Original articles and dive reports from local divers in the Vancouver, WA area. Suggestions for stories or your own reports are welcome!

Gooch
Submariner

Post by Gooch »

Hey Flyin V- I found a java-based SAC calculator; are you using something similar?

http://www.spearfishing.org/bruces_tips/java/sac.html
http://nwdivers.me/blog/ Original articles and dive reports from local divers in the Vancouver, WA area. Suggestions for stories or your own reports are welcome!

FlyinV
Dive-aholic

Post by FlyinV »

I am using the built in Oceanic Ocean Log program and it calculates the SAC Rate without me knowing anything :)
When I get a chance I will input the same numbers into the link you posted and see what it says.
Hopefully it comes out close to the same -- I do think my air consumption rate is getting much much better once I got over 30 dives.
Jeff V
Octo Buddy Dive Tours - www.octobuddy.com
spatman
I've Got Gills

Post by spatman »

glad you guys had a good time at sunnyside. last time i was there, i was bored out of my mind. sounds like i should give it another try sometime!
nwscubamom
I've Got Gills

Post by nwscubamom »

Sunnyside during the summer beats Sunnyside during the winter months. There's so much more life and stuff to see once the warmer weather comes around and the fish start appearing again. And from what we saw yesterday, things are definitely coming back! My pics wound up here:
http://www.nwdiveclub.com/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=8156

- Janna ;)
Janna Nichols
My underwater photo galleries
REEF Citizen Science Program Manager
Seen any cool critters lately?
><((((°>
-----------------------------
FlyinV
Dive-aholic

Post by FlyinV »

Comparing the built in Oceanic SAC calculation and the Javascript SAC script they came out fairly close.

Here is my data
Cylinder Size - 100cf 3442 PSI
Dive Time - 40 minutes
Average Depth 34.85
Start Pressure - 3212
End Pressure - 1314
Gas Used - 1898

The Pro 2 calculated .67
The online page calculated .705
Jeff V
Octo Buddy Dive Tours - www.octobuddy.com
spatman
I've Got Gills

Post by spatman »

FlyinV wrote:Comparing the built in Oceanic SAC calculation and the Javascript SAC script they came out fairly close.

Here is my data
Cylinder Size - 100cf 3442 PSI
Dive Time - 40 minutes
Average Depth 34.85
Start Pressure - 3212
End Pressure - 1314
Gas Used - 1898

The Pro 2 calculated .67
The online page calculated .705

here's how those numbers break down with a good old pencil and calculator:

you used 3200 minus 1300 psi in 40 minutes. 1900/40 = 47.5 psi/min.

your average pressure was 35fsw/33 + 1 = 2.06 ata

your SAC rate in psi is 47.5psi/min divided by 2.06 ata = 23.05psi/min

your cylinder has 100cf when filled to 3442psi. 100/3442 = .029 cf/psi

you breathe 23psi/min from a tank that has .029 cf/psi. so 23 x .029 = .667 cf/min, which i would round up to the .67 the Pro 2 came up with.