Sheahan and Sockmonkey ʻau malo kai

Tell us your tale of coming nose-to-nose with a 6 gill [--this big--], or about your vacation to turquoise warm waters. Share your adventures here!
Sockmonkey
I've Got Gills

Sheahan and Sockmonkey ʻau malo kai

Post by Sockmonkey »

Yesterday Sheahan and Mrs. Sheahan were kind enough to come an hour north of Kona to come diving with me. Mrs. Sheahan soaked up the sun and relaxed while we goofed off under water. I was psyched they were willing to interrupt their vacation to drive through the hazy desert moonscape here. I feel a little bad that they showed up here when the vog is so heavy. I bet most days it'll be tough to get a tan, unless of course you're from the nw and you'll burn even if it is super hazy.

We drove up to Mahukona County Park which was once a small harbor at the end of a long cattle trail. (and up this trail are many undiscovered coves and put-ins I'm dying to try) The Hawaiian cowboys (paniolos) swam cattle out to barges to ship off island from this spot. I also think there was also a railroad that went south from there to hauled sugar cane away. The park attracts local families to swim and BBQ on the weekends since it is one of the few spots along the coast where you can easily get in and out of the water. There's a campground at this park as well. While not the most interesting lava structure Mahukona, has a good sized reef and is easy to navigate. A good first spot of the day.

We climbed down the ladder from the asphalt pier to find a little bit of surge pushing sand around. I was a little afraid for the viz. We cruised out the sandy channel in between the reefs and followed a big assed chain out to the remains of some sort of mechanical something or other. I've heard its what's left of a boat that sunk but who knows. At about 25' we turned right and headed toward the reef. When we first saw coral I worried less about the crappy viz and more about the total lack of fish! Luckily we kicked a few mins away from the sand channel and the viz got a little better (60' at most and hindered by the lack of sun) and it turned into an aquarium! A leisurely 65 minute dive with a max depth of 42 feet.

None of us had eaten breakfast so I dragged them even further away from Kona to the hippy town of Hawi. 10 minutes away and we were in slightly cooler and wetter climate. Hawi is right were the wet side starts all the north on the Big Island. I had hoped to connect with some of the folks from a local dive shop in Hawi, but they uncharacteristically left to go diving on time. They were supposedly planning to do some exploratory offloading to a dive spot but we found our own fun without them.

After food we cruised down south to Puako where I thought we might go explore some lava tubes at Paniau. But as we passed a friend's house I saw him scurrying across the road. I stopped to talk to him and he suggested that we just get in the water in front of his house. It's an easier entry where he lives and it has the bonus of a hot outdoor shower to rinse off. In my dive log I call the site "Bob's House." Having dove there a few times before I knew my way around, which helps. The viz was even worse than Mahukona. There was so much crap in the water the viz was maybe 40 feet or less. I couldn't see the sand at the end of the reef which was a bummer because I dig the garden eels that live in the sand. I guess when the trade winds stop blowing the vog settles in and the water gets cloudy full of organic gunk. We meandered along the ridge of lava an coral ducking our heads in and under things in 25-30 feet of water. About the time I was getting concerned that we were going to be skunked for morays, Sheahan found a massive green one. I tried to coax it to swim for us but it wouldn't abide. Of course there was a turtle and all the usual suspects of fish to be see. Sheahan took a crapload of photos and hopefully he'll post some here. Another slow moving dive of 61 minutes with a max depth of 46 feet.

I've got a few mins of video of our dives I'll put together at some point. A warning... I still don't know how to hold a video camera still... and I need a light for it.

Thanks to the mcculla's for getting up early on their vacation, diving halfway up the island, and chasing me around the local roads to hang out with me.

-Eric

Olaf! Metal face!
IMG_0181.JPG
Turtley Friend
IMG_0185.JPG
"I used to do this for fun, but now, I do it for nothing" -Not Joshua Smith

:eric: Hawaiian Seamonkey Blog
sheahanmcculla
I've Got Gills

Re: Sheahan and Sockmonkey ʻau malo kai

Post by sheahanmcculla »

What an Awesome time diving I will post later in more detail, having too much fun right now! Big, Huge, Grand thanks to Eric for diving with me! Both dives were incredible, and what PNWesterner can complain about 40' viz. Here are a couple of pics for now. If anyone comes to the Big Island you have to meet up with Eric! It was so nice of him to take the time out of his day to show us some local sites. I can't believe I forgot to say my wifes name when I introduced you. Maloree thought you were really funny, and a entertaining host. Mahalo!
Attachments
IMG_0835.JPG
IMG_0932.JPG
IMG_0922.JPG
IMG_0895.JPG
IMG_0882.JPG
IMG_0872.JPG
IMG_0831.JPG
IMG_0818.JPG
IMG_0799.JPG
IMG_0763.JPG
IMG_0728.JPG
IMG_0854.JPG
IMG_0783.JPG
Nwbrewer
I've Got Gills

Post by Nwbrewer »

Yeah, but did you throw Sheahan and OOAs? :blackblink:

Looks like you had a good time guys, nice pics.
"Screw "annual" service,... I get them serviced when they break." - CaptnJack (paraphrased)

"you do realize you're supposed to mix the :koolaid: with water and drink it, not snort the powder directly from the packet, right? :smt064 " - Spatman
H20doctor
I've Got Gills

Post by H20doctor »

I would take 40 feet of sucky vis there any day sockmonkey .. Nice dive .. The one shot of the rock face on both side is Epic... Very cool rock formations there with the Lava . Thanks for sharing
NWDC Rule #2 Pictures Or it didn't Happen
BDub
I've Got Gills

Post by BDub »

Nice report, guys. I really need to schedule another trip over there
http://www.frogkickdiving.com/

"It's a lot easier when you're not doing it" - CaseyB449

"There needs to be more strawberry condoms. Just not on my regulator" - DSteding
Sockmonkey
I've Got Gills

Post by Sockmonkey »

Nwbrewer wrote:Yeah, but did you throw Sheahan and OOAs? :blackblink:
Ya know... I remembered that I wanted to throw him an OAA toward the end of the second dive and I decided to spare the poor guy. Plus Sheahan doesn't know just how mean I am to my friends yet.

We never hooked up with a 3rd diver to video air2 vs long hose OOA's :(
sheahanmcculla wrote: I can't believe I forgot to say my wifes name when I introduced you.
Whew! I thought you told me what her name was and I just totally spaced out on it. When we got to Bob's house I thought "Oh no I've forgotten her name and I can't introduce her."

Nice pics!

-Eric

Nwbrewer
I've Got Gills

Post by Nwbrewer »

Sockmonkey wrote:
Nwbrewer wrote:Yeah, but did you throw Sheahan and OOAs? :blackblink:
Ya know... I remembered that I wanted to throw him an OAA toward the end of the second dive and I decided to spare the poor guy. Plus Sheahan doesn't know just how mean I am to my friends yet.

We never hooked up with a 3rd diver to video air2 vs long hose OOA's :(
-Eric
Now I have an excuse to throw some on him when he gets back. :supz:
"Screw "annual" service,... I get them serviced when they break." - CaptnJack (paraphrased)

"you do realize you're supposed to mix the :koolaid: with water and drink it, not snort the powder directly from the packet, right? :smt064 " - Spatman
Sockmonkey
I've Got Gills

Post by Sockmonkey »

Ugh. So much camera shake... I'm still learning how to use the housing. Sorry if I make anyone seasick.

So here's the little video of my jaunt around the reefs with Sheahan.

[vimeo]http://www.vimeo.com/4721370[/vimeo]

BASSMAN
I've Got Gills

Post by BASSMAN »

Verry nice!!!! :supz:
Hi, my name is Keith, and I'm a Dive Addict! :supz:
BDub
I've Got Gills

Post by BDub »

Cool video, dude
http://www.frogkickdiving.com/

"It's a lot easier when you're not doing it" - CaseyB449

"There needs to be more strawberry condoms. Just not on my regulator" - DSteding