I got a DUI this weekend

General banter about diving and why we love it.
nwbobber
Extreme Diving Machine

I got a DUI this weekend

Post by nwbobber »

My first dive in a drysuit was sunday, at sund rock. For those of you who were there, I'm sure sorry about the visibility, I'll have to accept responsibility for at least part of it. I had the floaty feet thing going on, and it seemed as if the only way I could keep my feet from going up was to keep them decidedly down. I have confidence this is going to get easier, but my first go was a train wreck.
My new suit is a DUI tls350. I'm going to try the gaiters and see If I can keep my feet from turning into lift bags. Any other suggestions would be appreciated.
If you do not change direction, you may end up where you are heading - Lao Tzu
Pez7378
I've Got Gills

Re: I got a DUI this weekend

Post by Pez7378 »

nwbobber wrote:My new suit is a DUI tls350. I'm going to try the gaiters and see If I can keep my feet from turning into lift bags. Any other suggestions would be appreciated.
Rock Boots or Fin Keepers. Otherwise, practice practice practice. I've got a TLS350 and I use a Weezle undergarment with Weezle booties. I've learned to just get used to the floaty feet sensation because it's not really as bad as it seems.
nwbobber
Extreme Diving Machine

Post by nwbobber »

Are the weezle booties like socks? I got a weezle extreme with this suit. I'm glad to hear you say that the floaty feet is not so bad. At this point I don't have the moves to deal with it. I think the instructor has me quite a bit overweighted, with ankle weights and the whole nine yards. I hope that I can learn to deal with it without the ankle weights. When the foot bubble isn't there they feel like anchors. So, like you say I will practice, and apologize in advance for stirring up the bottom.
kat
Extreme Diving Machine

Post by kat »

i have an extra long set of ankle weight that i put around my thighs just above my knees. it is a crutch, but i am happy with it for now. keeps the legs a bit more level without too much dragging.
"As long as you get everything tucked into your pants, you are good to go." -wasp7000
nwbobber
Extreme Diving Machine

Post by nwbobber »

Hooray for the crutches. I have to admit that I was getting a little frustrated... doing loop de loops in the water column trying to get the air out of my feet. It must've looked hilarious. I have to thank my wife for not cutting loose with the wisecracks. She is really very nice.

I just have to keep in mind what it felt like last november. 27 degrees, 25 mph wind, getting out of my wetsuit. OH YEAH this is going to be worth it!
kwbyron
Aquaphile

Post by kwbyron »

ahh, I miss the PNW... and my dry suite. I'm trying to figure out how to lighten my feet now, I got so used to the "floaty feet" that I have to actively work to keep my feet up when I'm diving wet.
-Kevin
I feel like a fish out of the water when I'm not diving.
Nwbrewer
I've Got Gills

Post by Nwbrewer »

kwbyron wrote:ahh, I miss the PNW... and my dry suite. I'm trying to figure out how to lighten my feet now, I got so used to the "floaty feet" that I have to actively work to keep my feet up when I'm diving wet.
What drysuit? You never had a drysuit. You had at best a "less wet" suit. :smt064
"Screw "annual" service,... I get them serviced when they break." - CaptnJack (paraphrased)

"you do realize you're supposed to mix the :koolaid: with water and drink it, not snort the powder directly from the packet, right? :smt064 " - Spatman
cklenk
Frequent Bubbler

Post by cklenk »

kat wrote:i have an extra long set of ankle weight that i put around my thighs just above my knees. it is a crutch, but i am happy with it for now. keeps the legs a bit more level without too much dragging.
I got an Apollo, which is a compressed neoprene suit with those cool and very spiffy ankle vents - we'll see how all of that works - hopefully less floaty feets......
lizard0924
Submariner

Post by lizard0924 »

nwbobber wrote:Hooray for the crutches. I have to admit that I was getting a little frustrated... doing loop de loops in the water column trying to get the air out of my feet. It must've looked hilarious. I have to thank my wife for not cutting loose with the wisecracks. She is really very nice.

I just have to keep in mind what it felt like last november. 27 degrees, 25 mph wind, getting out of my wetsuit. OH YEAH this is going to be worth it!
It is TOTALLY worth it and you will figure it out after a few dives. The first four or five dives I did with my drysuit just sucked, royally sucked. It was one issue after another, and I'm sure I entertained more than a few other divers with my antics. But, I'm happy to report that it all came together pretty quickly, and now I can "usually" enjoy my dives. :) It's all good.
Liz

www.lizsundquist.com

Holy cow! I'm the Godzilla of the underworld, apparently. ~ JenBowes
I'm going to tie my spool off on your manifold and ride you like a manatee! ~ Scottsax
Lundy will forever be known as The Guy Touching Richard's Thong. ~ Spatman