A Diamondback Hitchhiker

Fish & Invertebrate sightings and descriptions, hosted by resident NWDC ID expert Janna Nichols (nwscubamom).
Tom Nic
I've Got Gills

A Diamondback Hitchhiker

Post by Tom Nic »

I've not been posting too much in this forum for a long time - thought I'd break the drought with this pic. Found this lovely Diamondback Tritonia at TTN yesterday. And as is so often the case, as I was looking at the pic later I spotted this little hitchhiker. Looks like an amphipod or an isopod but none of the pics in Lamb seem to match. Thoughts? Ideas? WIld guesses?

More Pics Than You Have Time To Look AT
"Anyone who thinks this place is over moderated is bat-crazy anarchist." -Ben, Airsix
"Warning: No dive masters are going to be there, Just a bunch of old fat guys taking pictures of fish." -Bassman
Dusty2
I've Got Gills

Re: A Diamondback Hitchhiker

Post by Dusty2 »

I have found these guys on tritonias before and was told by Leslie they are scale worms but never which exact one.
Leslie
Avid Diver

Re: A Diamondback Hitchhiker

Post by Leslie »

True. The most common hitch hikers on nudis seem to be Arctonoe pulchra and Arctonoe vittata. Both are in Lamb & Hanby. Color is variable and the pigment patterns that are supposed to characterize them (a red band in vittata and red marginal circles on the scales for pulchra) are often not there. When that happens - like with Tom's critter - I need to examine the worm under a microscope to be sure what name to call it. Crabs & fish are so much easier!