Albino Rockfish

Fish & Invertebrate sightings and descriptions, hosted by resident NWDC ID expert Janna Nichols (nwscubamom).
troublesomemermaid
Just Settling In

Albino Rockfish

Post by troublesomemermaid »

Hey Folks,
This is my first post here, so pardon my newness seeping through the computer screen :-). I did a dive a few weeks ago at Being Creek Reef. I saw a rockfish that looked odd to me, and I am wondering if it rings a bell to anyone. The best way I know how to describe it is as an Albino rockfish.....

Unfortunately I don't yet know how to take pictures underwater of things that move :-), so I have no proof, but here is what I saw.

It was right next to a Copper Rockfish and a plumose anemone. It had the same shape as the Copper, but it was basically white. It had no markings that I recognize from Janna's basic or advanced fish ID class, or anything I can find in Coastal Fish ID or Coastal Fishes of the PNW. I didn't have a chance to shine a light on it, but the viz was good. It was the size of a normal adult Copper....

Has anyone seen such a thing? Do they transition between markings or colorations ever going really light in the middle? I know juveniles have different colors than adult in some of the species

Thanks in advance.
Dusty2
I've Got Gills

Re: Albino Rockfish

Post by Dusty2 »

First welcome to our fun site!

Now for the question.... Janna or Greg are better trained to answer this but my observations so far have been that many of our fishes have the ability to change colors to suite their environment but I have never seen or heard of a member of the scorpion fish family (Rock fish) doing it. If it were an albino it would be pretty rare. To bad you didn't get a photo. Even a poor one would help ID it.

As I said I am by far not an expert so lets see what Greg has to say.
nwscubamom
I've Got Gills

Post by nwscubamom »

Welcome!!

That sounds very cool, actually! And yes, Albino critters show up from time to time here and there.

I don't know of Rockfish changing colors, (like sculpins do). Was it stark white, white? Or more like a tannish color? Bocaccio can be quite light. And there are several deep water Rockfish that can be very light too...but doubtful you'd see them on Boeing reef.

Wish we had a photo - that would be neat!

- Janna :)
Janna Nichols
My underwater photo galleries
REEF Citizen Science Program Manager
Seen any cool critters lately?
><((((°>
-----------------------------
dwashbur
I've Got Gills

Post by dwashbur »

We all need to rally around this new member and help her get started taking pictures, because it sounds like she's seeing some cool stuff!
Dave

"Clearly, you weren't listening to what I'm about to say."
--
Check out my Internet show:
http://www.irvingszoo.com
CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Post by CaptnJack »

Some spp. of rockfish to change color. The blues and blacks in the Dome at the Aquarium are often quite white in the morning and darken up as the day goes on. Unless your mystery fish had a pink eye (no pigment at all) it was very likely a light version of a blue or possibly a copper.
Sounder wrote:Under normal circumstances, I would never tell another man how to shave his balls... but this device should not be kept secret.
nwscubamom
I've Got Gills

Post by nwscubamom »

Aquarium Rockfish colors are, from my observations, different from those in the wild. The colors are often washed out and very faded and I think it has to do with how long they've been in captivity. China Rockfish and Canaries seem to be especially susceptible to this. I'm not sure why that is, but it's just something I've noticed.

Richard, that's interesting (and cool!) that you've seen a change in coloring from morning to evening with them.

- Janna
Janna Nichols
My underwater photo galleries
REEF Citizen Science Program Manager
Seen any cool critters lately?
><((((°>
-----------------------------
CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Post by CaptnJack »

Yeah alot of the rockfish get kinda faded, while the dogfish actually "tan". Since the dome is only 18ft deep and open on top, alot of the fish are getting alot more UV light than they'd normally be exposed to.

But the whitish to darker behavior for the blues and blacks is actually fairly routine. I'm a AM cleaning diver, so I get to see them at ~8-8:30 and then as I'm leaving around 11:30. Off the top of my head, I would guess 60% of those individuals go through this diurnal change. Its most noticable in winter. By 8:30 in the summer they have already darkened up a fair amount.

Cheers,
Richard
Sounder wrote:Under normal circumstances, I would never tell another man how to shave his balls... but this device should not be kept secret.
troublesomemermaid
Just Settling In

Post by troublesomemermaid »

Thank you guys for the replies. I unfortunately don't recall the eye color, my buddies were less engrossed in this particular fish so I had to stop staring at it sooner than I would have like. That settles it though, next week I dig my camera out and start really taking UW pictures!!

I did find this though: http://emeralddiving.com/id_rockfish.html
The third picture down has a really light blue rockfish, which is really cool and interesting, but it looks nothing like what I saw.
My mystery fish had a very upright dorsal fin, and a copper rockfish like face.

To answer your question Janna it was a pretty white, no blue tints that I could see.
For now I will chock it up to a mystery fish and have to go back and find it again.... this time with a camera so I can have proof!

Thanks again for the info. That is very cool about some changing color. Do you think the aquarium ones will feel self conscious if I sit all day and stare at them :-)?
CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Post by CaptnJack »

The one Keith lists as "albino" is not a true albino but it sure is white! Whiter than most or all of the aquarium fish get. All rockfish can lower their dorsal fin so that's not particularly diagnostic.
Nwbrewer
I've Got Gills

Post by Nwbrewer »

I don't know much about rockfish, but the photo's on that webpage are awesome. Is that guy on the board?
"Screw "annual" service,... I get them serviced when they break." - CaptnJack (paraphrased)

"you do realize you're supposed to mix the :koolaid: with water and drink it, not snort the powder directly from the packet, right? :smt064 " - Spatman
CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Post by CaptnJack »

Nwbrewer wrote:I don't know much about rockfish, but the photo's on that webpage are awesome. Is that guy on the board?
Keith doesn't participate in boards. super nice guy, and very knowledgable about boat sites tho.
Tubesnout23
Submariner

Post by Tubesnout23 »

I don't know if having pink eyes can necessarily be associated with albino fish. The albino spotted rat fish that was caught in Puget Sound a while ago did not have pink eyes.

http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news ... cture.html

cheers
CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Post by CaptnJack »

by formal definition albinos have no pigment
I am not 100% sure if that translates to seeing the blood vessels in/behind their retinas. It should but I may be mistaken.
True albino cave fish have pure white scales/skin and a slight pink hue.