Octopus Hole 6-22-09 (with video)

Tell us your tale of coming nose-to-nose with a 6 gill [--this big--], or about your vacation to turquoise warm waters. Share your adventures here!
mz53480
I've Got Gills

Octopus Hole 6-22-09 (with video)

Post by mz53480 »

Here's the video:
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t6GTclSuMSA[/youtube]

PapaZ (aka: Dad-O) and I arrived at the 'hole' around 7pm Monday night.....noone else there. Nice weather topside, a bit windy and the waves were a comin in.
Splashed around 7:45 just in time for high tide. Shore entry was a bit challenging as the footing on the steps was a bit tricky. After swimming out to the snag tree, we dropped and headed out east. After finding sandy bottom a little too far north, we hooked back in south and found the start of the wall. It was nice to have some good vis again.....around 20fsw at depth. A little murky from 20-35, but nice on the top 15 or so. Thermocline around 25fsw (definately noticable this dive!).
Found 1 octo in the main den on the wall, another down on the bottom under a rock. Lots of rockfish, a lingcod or 2 and shrimp galore. The big white anemones were great!
Headed south for a bit, maybe got about 1/2 way down the wall and hit turn pressure.
Coming back we stopped at the big white anemones to take some more pics/video. Very cool. Up & over, and back in the shallows there were lots of critters to see also. Lil crabs, a few jellies, lewis moon snails, and a nice school of perch to complete the dive. Dive time ~59min, max depth ~60fsw.
On getting out, the wind and waves had calmed down and the water surface was almost glass. A great sunset to drive back home to completed the day.

Thanks for the great dive PapaZ....one of the best for sure.

MZ
:fish:
...I like going to the chamber.. They have great food there, and awsome live music "H20doctor"
Check out the VIDEOS!
dwashbur
I've Got Gills

Re: Octopus Hole 6-22-09 (with video)

Post by dwashbur »

Mike,
Your videos continue to fascinate me. Please keep them coming. If I can't dive this week, at least I can live vicariously through you guys. ¡Yo quiero Puget Sound! (y mi esposa.......)
Dave

"Clearly, you weren't listening to what I'm about to say."
--
Check out my Internet show:
http://www.irvingszoo.com
Dusty2
I've Got Gills

Post by Dusty2 »

Thanks for the report and video.
PapaZ
Compulsive Diver

Post by PapaZ »

Here are a few more picts from Octo Hole dive Monday evening with Mz
IMG_0723 copy.jpg
IMG_0730 copy.jpg
fish1 copy.jpg
IMG_0707 copy.jpg
IMG_0689 copy.jpg
IMG_0709 copy.jpg
IMG_0747moon copy.jpg
IMG_0700 copy.jpg
IMG_0756 copy.jpg
Pz
sheahanmcculla
I've Got Gills

Post by sheahanmcculla »

I really like the moonsnail one, good job!
mz53480
I've Got Gills

Post by mz53480 »

sheahanmcculla wrote:I really like the moonsnail one, good job!
Yeah, PZ takes killer pics! :partydance:
...I like going to the chamber.. They have great food there, and awsome live music "H20doctor"
Check out the VIDEOS!