Northwest Dive Club fleet increases by one

General banter about diving and why we love it.
nice-diver
Compulsive Diver

Northwest Dive Club fleet increases by one

Post by nice-diver »

yeah me
I just got my long awaited inflatable
a 97 Zodiac mark III GR; with a 92 johnson 40HP sitting on an EZ loader.

I found it at a boat dealer and it was for sale this time, so I had to have it.

I have a couple of questions:

#1. it will have to sit outside for a spell, will a blue plastic tarp be enough protection?? what will, custom made truck tarp?

#2. should I deflate it completely limp during the week or keep some shape to it?

#3. is it best to trailer it fully inflated or let it jiggle partially inflated?

#4. can i only rec dive out of it, or does anyone dive doubles with a waist belt can light (i have single tank dove off my kayak) is it a major pain to pull in a set of steel dubs

#5. i have dreams of using my scuba bug to pull it, does it take gobs of horsepower to pull one out of a sane boat ramp, it only weighs 240+185+trailer+18gal fuel+dive gear (thinking fuel economy over my 13mpg mini jeep)

#6. i took it out for the first time today to Fern Ridge Resivour, its huge and open to the wind so its just like open ocean most of the time with whitecaps. heading into the waves, the boat seemed to cavitate and loose bite and the engine would wind out. does the shaft look alittle short so the prop grabs air?

thank you for any help
i flickr
http://www.flickr.com/photos/nice-diver/

Give a man a fire and he's warm for the day. But set fire to him and he's warm for the rest of his life

People are more violently opposed to fur than leather, because it's easier to harrass rich women than motorcycle gangs!
Dusty2
I've Got Gills

Re: Northwest Dive Club fleet increases by one

Post by Dusty2 »

They do tend to cavitate at speed since it is a very light boat without allot of keel in the water. as long as the plate above the prop is at or below the stern it should be fine. A Volks should pull one without any hassle at all depending on how much gear you load along with it. I am sure people do doubles off them but I can't imagine pulling a set back in myself. My biggest problem is those tubes are mighty tall when it comes time to get back in.

I would leave it inflated on the trailer if it were me and yes you want to trailer it at full pressure so as not to allow anything to flop around and cause undue wear or stress. I use a product called 303 Aerospace Protectant on it a couple of times a season and it keeps it looking like brand new all the time. Any cover that keeps the sun off of it is a good idea although they are quite rugged and do pretty well with minimal care.
Last edited by Dusty2 on Thu Jul 02, 2009 12:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
Aquanautchuck
Pelagic

Post by Aquanautchuck »

nice-diver wrote:yeah me

#1. it will have to sit outside for a spell, will a blue plastic tarp be enough protection?? what will, custom made truck tarp?

Not really. The cover needs to breath. I got a custom cover at Inflatable Boat Works for a bit over $100.

#2. should I deflate it completely limp during the week or keep some shape to it?

I keep mine inflated in storage. Air will seap out over time and just top it off every so often.

#3. is it best to trailer it fully inflated or let it jiggle partially inflated?

I keep mine almost full for transport but if the weather is suppose to get hot on the trip I may only inflate it to 90%. After launching and sitting in the cool water a bit I then top it off. If the day while diving gets hotter make sure you check the pressure.

#4. can i only rec dive out of it, or does anyone dive doubles with a waist belt can light (i have single tank dove off my kayak) is it a major pain to pull in a set of steel dubs

I have had many guys with doubles dive off my boat. Just gets a little crowded. Be very careful lifting the tanks over the tubes. I have cut a tube lifting a tank with a pony on it over the tube and the pony clamp cut the top of the tube. Luckly I had duct tape. I now carry emergency patches. Also have plenty of tie offs with clips for your gear.

#5. i have dreams of using my scuba bug to pull it, does it take gobs of horsepower to pull one out of a sane boat ramp, it only weighs 240+185+trailer+18gal fuel+dive gear (thinking fuel economy over my 13mpg mini jeep)

You are a little off on your weights. My 15' 4' C-5 sb weighs just under 1000 loaded. Not counting tanks. Run yours over the scales and you may be surprised. I was. You could pull it out of most ramps but not good for braking and expect to smoke a few clutches. (28 yeas of pulling boats with all types of rigs talking.

#6. i took it out for the first time today to Fern Ridge Resivour, its huge and open to the wind so its just like open ocean most of the time with whitecaps. heading into the waves, the boat seemed to cavitate and loose bite and the engine would wind out. does the shaft look alittle short so the prop grabs air?

Like Dusty said, if the plate is even with the bottom of the boat (and it appears your does) it is good. You should get almost 30mph out of it. It can get squirlly depending on your weight balance.

thank you for any help
Good Luck and let us know if you have any other questions.
Charles
Dusty2
I've Got Gills

Post by Dusty2 »

Guess I didn't read to well. The MKIII is a pretty good size boat with the floor boards motor and full tanks and trailer I think Chuck is right your going to be over weight and a bit squirrly in a volks. God forbid it rains and you have to stop in a hurry or make a quick coarse correction with all that weight behind you.
-Aaron-
Dive-aholic

Post by -Aaron- »

Congratulations nice-diver!

Let me know when the Oregon Coast inauguration is :D
Aquanautchuck
Pelagic

Post by Aquanautchuck »

If you took it out like is is set up in the picture, you may of been light. My boat runs/planes better with a little weight in it. You mention it cavitates and may catch air. Check the trim on the motor. It may be trimmed out to much. Unless you have electric trim play with that.
Charles
spatman
I've Got Gills

Post by spatman »

congratulations, jeff! looks like a great boat. i'm sure you'll have tons of fun with it, and let us know what adventures it takes you on!
dwashbur
I've Got Gills

Post by dwashbur »

So, the party's on nice-diver's boat????
Dave

"Clearly, you weren't listening to what I'm about to say."
--
Check out my Internet show:
http://www.irvingszoo.com
billandwende
Extreme Diving Machine

Post by billandwende »

Harbor freight sells a "portable garage" basically tube steel frame with a fitted tarp. These work well for a few years before they degrade. Price around $150.00 wait for a sale. This may be better than covering with a tarp.

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/d ... mber=42211

You may also want to think about doelfins this attaches to the cavitation plate and helps cut down on the porpoise effect.
(one long link)

http://www.westmarine.com/webapp/wcs/st ... assNum=384
"I seek out more experienced divers who are willing to dive with me, and I buy them beer." :snorkel:

"It was awesome until the point where Bono endorsed it." Fishstiq

"Anyone know a good direction to point me in so i can figure out exactly what i have?" kat
billandwende
Extreme Diving Machine

Post by billandwende »

dwashbur wrote:So, the party's on nice-diver's boat????

Sounds good. When does he work? We can get the boat and a few other guys.... Wait do you think we should let him come too? :dontknow:

Na, what was I thinking. He's gotta work to pay for the boat. I wouldn't want to deprive him of the feeling of boat ownership. :rofl:
"I seek out more experienced divers who are willing to dive with me, and I buy them beer." :snorkel:

"It was awesome until the point where Bono endorsed it." Fishstiq

"Anyone know a good direction to point me in so i can figure out exactly what i have?" kat
Aquanautchuck
Pelagic

Post by Aquanautchuck »

billandwende wrote:
dwashbur wrote:So, the party's on nice-diver's boat????
Na, what was I thinking. He's gotta work to pay for the boat. I wouldn't want to deprive him of the feeling of boat ownership. :rofl:
Be nice, we don't want to get him all depressed during the first glow of boat ownership. There is plenty of time for that sinking feeling that the hole in the water never fills up to set in.
Charles
selkie
Submariner

Post by selkie »

BOAT = Brake Out Another Thousand #-o
"A man must have some wit to know he is a fool"

Maritime Archaeological Society (MAS)
http://maritimearchaeological.org/

Northwest Diving History Association (NWDHA)
http://www.divinghistory.org/
Aquanautchuck
Pelagic

Post by Aquanautchuck »

selkie wrote:BOAT = Brake Out Another Thousand #-o
:rofl: :rofl: That's a new one.
Charles
AB219
Aquaphile

Post by AB219 »

nice-diver wrote:yeah me

thank you for any help

Nice rig.... Meet you in Newport next weekend.

g
Let's Go Diving at:
A) Oregon coast
B) Fort Bragg California
C) Monterey California
D) Puget Sound Washington

"It's not about the dive, but the journey taken."
nice-diver
Compulsive Diver

Post by nice-diver »

thank you everybody for the info

I am still interested in others inflatable experience and experiences
i flickr

Give a man a fire and he's warm for the day. But set fire to him and he's warm for the rest of his life

People are more violently opposed to fur than leather, because it's easier to harrass rich women than motorcycle gangs!
BASSMAN
I've Got Gills

Post by BASSMAN »

nice-diver wrote:thank you everybody for the info

I am still interested in others inflatable experience and experiences
Jeff,
Let me know when you can be at hood canal on a Thursday, I'll buy the gass for the boat!

Nice set up! =D>

Keith.
Hi, my name is Keith, and I'm a Dive Addict! :supz:
nice-diver
Compulsive Diver

Post by nice-diver »

its one of my plans Keith
i flickr