Tipping question

General banter about diving and why we love it.
Magali
Getting To Know Folks

Tipping question

Post by Magali »

Hi
Ive got my OW cert dives this weekend and am wondering how much to tip the DM.
Do I tip each day? After the last dive on Sunday?

Thanks...again
Sounder
I've Got Gills

Post by Sounder »

When I did my OW, we did the first day from shore and the second day from a boat. We tipped the boat DM $5 per dive.

Are you talking about your scuba instructor or a DM from a charter boat?
GUE Seattle - The official GUE Affiliate in the Northwest!
Magali
Getting To Know Folks

Im talking about the DM

Post by Magali »

He is assisting our instuctor for our Certification dive. Shore.

Thanks
Sounder
I've Got Gills

Post by Sounder »

Hmmm... I'm deferring to the instructors on this one. Check back in a while - I'm sure some of them will have responded. GD? BDub? Zen? Alki Dave? Others?
thelawgoddess
Pelagic

Post by thelawgoddess »

well, i gave my instructors a gift certificate - because we had a really small class and they helped me out a lot by giving me some individual instruction during our ow dives. i also gave the assistant instructor a pack of beer for helping me pass my underwater swim test in the pool on my third try.
"Life without passion is life without depth."~J.Hollis
my FLICKR photo sets
BDub
I've Got Gills

Post by BDub »

Totally up to you Magali. It's not expected, nor required, but I'm sure it would be appreciated.

If you think they deserve a tip, then tip what you feel comfortable tipping.

I was an active DM for 2 - 3 years and probably assisted 30 classes during that period and I got maybe 8 - 10 tips total. Again, it was never expected, but it was appreciated, and it was usually from someone who really needed some extra attention to get them comfortable in the water. I never helped with classes in hopes of getting a tip though. I did it because it got me in the water, I liked to help people learn to dive, it got me shop discounts on gear, and most of all, it made me a better diver. DM's typically don't get paid and do it for one or several of the reasons previously mentioned.

In short? Totally discretionary.
http://www.frogkickdiving.com/

"It's a lot easier when you're not doing it" - CaseyB449

"There needs to be more strawberry condoms. Just not on my regulator" - DSteding
thelawgoddess
Pelagic

Post by thelawgoddess »

yeah; bdub echoed how i felt about it and also what i learned from a couple of instructors i asked ...
"Life without passion is life without depth."~J.Hollis
my FLICKR photo sets
Sasquatch
Compulsive Diver

Post by Sasquatch »

Shouldn't this be in GENERAL SCUBA DISCUSSION?

I tip anyone in any service industry that provides outstanding service in performing their jobs. I thought my DM's and Instructors during my last SCUBA training were amazing. However, I didn't tip my DAN instructors nor my Advanced CPR/AED Instructors. I guess because I perceived it wasn't "customary" in a classroom instruction environment.

By the way, my last DAN Instructors were both outstanding! :salute:

PS I missed the clowns. They're so happy looking!
Zen Diver v1
Aquaphile

Post by Zen Diver v1 »

I've never been tipped for OW/AOL classes, but then my work schedule rarely allows my being able to follow thro with an entire class either (I work 12 hour evening/nights/alternate weekends). Not that I'd turn it down if it ever happened, but certainly that's not the reason I help out.

-Valerie
WylerBear
I've Got Gills

Post by WylerBear »

In a society that tips people for giving you your coffee I guess pretty soon we'll all just have to keep ones and fives on us all the time to randomly tip anyone who happens to walk by. Sheesh!
I would never expect a tip from a OW/AOW class either no matter how much help I gave. These people are learning a new skill and need lots of help so it could really get out of hand. I help because I want to help. And they generally don't know that tips are a part of the industry (I certainly didn't when I started).
I do hope to get tips when I lead a dive or DM for a boat charter and I'm usually not disappointed.
Georgia

NOT diving is NOT an option
Sasquatch
Compulsive Diver

Post by Sasquatch »

WylerBear may have something there. How about a tip based society? Driver lets you in in traffic, throw him a single! Let's see how far capitalism and an open palm can take us... :supz:
Tom Nic
I've Got Gills

Post by Tom Nic »

thelawgoddess wrote:i also gave the assistant instructor a pack of beer for helping me pass my underwater swim test in the pool on my third try.
Hmmm... I've heard of six pack "penalties" for leaving your tanks standing unattended... ](*,) Tips perhaps?!? NOT that I would know ANYTHING about that, however!!!! :axe:
Sounder
I've Got Gills

Post by Sounder »

I've heard of the 6-pack rule for unattended tank violations, and I tip the DM on a boat charter (they don't usually get paid, but are very helpful).