Diving w/ Sea Lions (Video)

General banter about diving and why we love it.
Tangfish
NWDC Mascot
NWDC Mascot

Diving w/ Sea Lions (Video)

Post by Tangfish »

This is a cool video I came across. It reminded me of our dives at Cove 2 with the seals, though our seals are more concerned with finding food by our lights than playing with us like these cute sea lions:

<object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/1hOcEiT2wt0"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/1hOcEiT2wt0" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>
richolionheart
Frequent Bubbler

Post by richolionheart »

I can't wait to do a dive like this!! This is really cool!
Richolionheart,
I'm moving out on november 23rd! Contact me for as many dives as possible before that!
nwscubamom
I've Got Gills

Post by nwscubamom »

Maybe I'm a biiiiig chicken, but I did a dive like that and it was NOT fun!! On the contrary, it was scary! We were surrounded by juvenile stellar sea lions (who were, coincidentally, a bit larger than we were) and they were all aggressive, biting, etc. Thank goodness we didn't see Mom and Dad when we were out there - they are SUPER huge - like 10 feet long or so I think.

We were on the East Side of Tatoosh Island doing REEF surveys for NOAA and the sanctuary.

- Janna :)

Janna Nichols
My underwater photo galleries
REEF Citizen Science Program Manager
Seen any cool critters lately?
><((((°>
-----------------------------
Sounder
I've Got Gills

Post by Sounder »

I'm guessing you didn't see many fish that dive?
GUE Seattle - The official GUE Affiliate in the Northwest!
GillyWeed
Submariner

Post by GillyWeed »

I am with Janna... That looks really scary!!! Did you see the one bite the divers HEAD!!!!!! OMG! I would probably freak out a little.. I don't like my underwater friends to BITE ME! And they are so much more limber and agile in the water we would be at their mercy if they decided to get a little rougher... Lets hope they don't decide they like the taste of neoprene.

Cool vid though.. Just glad I wasn't in it!
"Well I, I wont go down by myself, but I'll go down with my friends!"
Tom Nic
I've Got Gills

Post by Tom Nic »

Yeah, I find myself thinking "Wow, that would be so cool" and "Oh my goodness, that looks dangerous".

It is clear that the "bites" were not hard or there would have been lots of blood in the water.... did you see the chompers on those guys?!? :pale: Certainly not something to be taken lightly!

Though I personally haven't heard any, I know that there are stories of divers having runins with upleasant consequences.

That being said, I'd give it a shot anyway! :supz:
nwscubamom
I've Got Gills

Post by nwscubamom »

I think there's also a difference between STELLAR sea lions, and CALIFORNIA sea lions. Stellars are more aggressive, and much larger, and quite capable of creating some serious consequences. From what I understand, California Sea Lions are more playful and not as aggressive.

We were diving with Stellars.

:smt119
Janna Nichols
><((((°>
GillyWeed
Submariner

Post by GillyWeed »

It still would be scary either way... These are wild animals and we shouldn't take any of them lightly. Wild animals are unpredictable. I think that sea lions are awesome and I love to watch them. But I would be nervous if in the water with them and would hope they kept their distance. They seem nice and playful and it wouldn't be argued that they are very intelligent but still should be given respect for their strength and agility. They could really hurt you if they wanted to and that's where the fear for me would come in.. I am not saying I wouldn't do it, but I am not going to be out looking to swim with Stellars or California sea lions any time soon.
"Well I, I wont go down by myself, but I'll go down with my friends!"
nwscubamom
I've Got Gills

Post by nwscubamom »

Yup, I totally agree. Their strength could easily cause a big problem, for instance, should they decide to take a mouthful of your head and snap or jerk it - they could seriously or fatally harm us.

Needless to say, Gillyweed, we're crossing off that dive site for future surveys. We all agreed on that one. (the Stellars were going from dive buddy team to dive buddy team, hassling us - and we didn't get a whole lot of surveying done!)

- Janna :)
Janna Nichols
><((((°>