Borrow a speargun?

Need advice on recreational gear configurations? Look no further than this equipment forum.
rjarnold
Submariner

Borrow a speargun?

Post by rjarnold »

I'm hoping to buy a spear gun in the future but I'd like to get out there and try one first :) If anyone has a spear gun I could borrow, I'd greatly appreciate it (I have some experience shadowing a free diver). I'm heading up to Neah Bay sometime between 24 July - 2 August. Thanks!
Lophiiformes rock.

"Anal fins are a gateway drug." - Tom Nic
Sounder
I've Got Gills

Re: Borrow a speargun?

Post by Sounder »

Of all the people I wouldn't have expected to spear fish... you, my dear, are at the top of the list!! You're not the hippie you make yourself out to be!!
GUE Seattle - The official GUE Affiliate in the Northwest!
Tom Nic
I've Got Gills

Post by Tom Nic »

It's a slippery slope from clipping anal fins to spearing fish and laughing maniacally while you do so.

Anal fins are a gateway drug.
More Pics Than You Have Time To Look AT
"Anyone who thinks this place is over moderated is bat-crazy anarchist." -Ben, Airsix
"Warning: No dive masters are going to be there, Just a bunch of old fat guys taking pictures of fish." -Bassman
Sockmonkey
I've Got Gills

Post by Sockmonkey »

Tom Nic wrote:Anal fins are a gateway drug.
Anyone need a new sig line?

-Eric
"I used to do this for fun, but now, I do it for nothing" -Not Joshua Smith

:eric: Hawaiian Seamonkey Blog
rjarnold
Submariner

Post by rjarnold »

Hahahha.

See what I got last weekend??

Yum. Yes yes, I know - I say I'm a vegetarian, but I'm really not. I only eat free-range meats, and even then, I generally tend to avoid meat altogether unless I caught, cleaned, and cooked it myself =D That's kinda hippy-ish!
Lophiiformes rock.

pensacoladiver
I've Got Gills

Post by pensacoladiver »

Sounder wrote:Of all the people I wouldn't have expected to spear fish... you, my dear, are at the top of the list!! You're not the hippie you make yourself out to be!!
I don't know how she will do spearfishing, but if her Dungeness catching skills are an indicator, I have a feeling I might get shown up at Neah Bay.

I was bad mouthing her purple catch bag Saturday, but after about 20 minutes underwater, it was the only one we were using, then we had to call the dive because it was filled to the gills!

Oh yeah, if you find someone to let you borrow a gun, see if they will also part with their SS stringer. You are going to want one of those. Fish don't go into a mesh bag as easily as crab.
Sounder
I've Got Gills

Post by Sounder »

Sockmonkey wrote:
Tom Nic wrote:Anal fins are a gateway drug.
Anyone need a new sig line?

-Eric
I thought that before I scrolled down to your post... great minds.
GUE Seattle - The official GUE Affiliate in the Northwest!
Dusty2
I've Got Gills

Post by Dusty2 »

rjarnold wrote:Hahahha.

Yum. Yes yes, I know - I say I'm a vegetarian, but I'm really not. I only eat free-range meats, and even then, I generally tend to avoid meat altogether unless I caught, cleaned, and cooked it myself =D That's kinda hippy-ish!
Sounds more like paranoid than vegetarian or hippy :smt064 :smt064 :smt064
rjarnold
Submariner

Post by rjarnold »

Dusty2 wrote:

Sounds more like paranoid than vegetarian or hippe :smt064 :smt064 :smt064
Haha, well I did grow up on a dairy farm in Wisconsin, where the animals could roam around, etc., and then went to a big agricultural school and saw how it worked in the 'big leagues'.... not something I want to support.
Lophiiformes rock.

Dusty2
I've Got Gills

Post by Dusty2 »

I can empathize with that. I too grew up on a small family farm where we got to know the animals and what they ate. Having seen the feed lots in central California does kind of make you think twice about what your eating.
babs13
Dive-aholic

Post by babs13 »

Rach- where did you go? And how was it? Going "scrabbing" later this week, and not sure where the spots are.

Step 1: I have a diving problem.
rjarnold
Submariner

Post by rjarnold »

babs13 wrote:Rach- where did you go? And how was it? Going "scrabbing" later this week, and not sure where the spots are.

Off Whidbey Island in a boat :)
Lophiiformes rock.

bob
Avid Diver

Post by bob »

it's not that pretty but it work's .I use a pole spear now. I live in warrenton though!!