You Have To Laugh!

General banter about diving and why we love it.
gcbryan
Submariner

You Have To Laugh!

Post by gcbryan »

I just noticed this from Lamb and Edgell "Coastal Fishes of the Pacific Northwest" page 98 regarding Quilfish...

"Undoubted the best way for the wharf or float-bound naturalists to view the strange, unbelievable quillfish, is by watching closely at a "night light,"- a watertight fixture hung just below the surface of the sea. After purchasing an outdoor light fixture with a plastic or glass cover, seal it with melted wax to prevent leakage. There are two possibilities for power: a 110-watt system which requires an extension cord for power and a convenient socket, or a 12-volt circuit wired to a fully charged automobile battery. With either, beware of shock when night-lighting around salt water."

This is funny...doesn't this sound more like it belongs in the script for a "3 Stooges" episode! :biggrin:
scubamatt
Just Settling In

Re: You Have To Laugh!

Post by scubamatt »

Something tells me that sticking a light underwater that isnt meant to go in water at all might cause a big saftey concers considering electricity and water dont mix very well :eek:
Stu
Aquaphile

Post by Stu »

scubamatt wrote:Something tells me that sticking a light underwater that isnt meant to go in water at all might cause a big saftey concers considering electricity and water dont mix very well :eek:
Im sure these guys could figured it out

Tangfish
NWDC Mascot
NWDC Mascot

Post by Tangfish »

I would've been really impressed if sockmonkey had used my slippers to rig something like this up.

Jenbowes
Amphibian

Post by Jenbowes »

Tangfish wrote:I would've been really impressed if sockmonkey had used my slippers to rig something like this up.

The only reason this isn't the worst idea EVER, is that perhaps they will eventually remove themselves from the gene pool and join the Darwin Awards.

:-)
:partyman: This is my favorite smiley!!

CAKE IS THE ONLY THING THAT MATTERS
defied
I've Got Gills

Post by defied »

Oh.. wait... so that's not an acceptable method of supplying power to my pool? Crap...

D(B)
billandwende
Extreme Diving Machine

Post by billandwende »

:uh: They are using a UL listed surge protector so it's gotta be OK.
"I seek out more experienced divers who are willing to dive with me, and I buy them beer." :snorkel:

"It was awesome until the point where Bono endorsed it." Fishstiq

"Anyone know a good direction to point me in so i can figure out exactly what i have?" kat
Grateful Diver
I've Got Gills

Post by Grateful Diver »

Stu wrote: Im sure these guys could figured it out

... and the more empty beer bottles end up on that little table, the easier it becomes to figure these things out ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)
Threats and ultimatums are never the best answer. Public humiliation via Photoshop is always better - airsix

Come visit me at http://www.nwgratefuldiver.com/