Semi Dry vs Dry

Need advice on recreational gear configurations? Look no further than this equipment forum.
sungurl
Aquaphile

Semi Dry vs Dry

Post by sungurl »

Okay folks, newbie here so need the input on Semi-Dry versus Dry Suits for me....new diver (just certified)...looking at getting out and diving, but does NOT like to be cold. I understand dry suits are much more expensive but more comfortable as far as coldness goes, but does one REALLY need a dry suit for the winter around here. I did pretty well in a wetsuit for my open water classes this weekend, but got chilled by the end of the second dives on both days....concerned about being cold in the winter, but also don't want to go and fork out $$$ right off the bat.....any thoughts? :smt064 thankies....
spatman
I've Got Gills

Re: Semi Dry vs Dry

Post by spatman »

hey sungurl

diving wet or semidry can be done, a lot of it depends on personal tolerance to cold. at first, i tried diving wet, and i made it to late october before it got too cold for me. it wasn't the water temps, but the inability to really warm up between dives. i couldn't image diving through the winter in 44 degree water and even colder surface intervals.

if you're even considering diving dry, do it. it is well worth the higher cost, imho. you can also usually find decent used drysuits which are a great way to start.

good luck and let us know what you decide.
Sounder
I've Got Gills

Post by Sounder »

People do dive in wetsuits in the winter here... but they're crazy. They'll also tell you it doesn't bother them... and they're lying. Soon enough you'll find them in a drysuit - just watch.

So yes, you definitely will want a drysuit eventually, but for now while the water is still somewhat warm, a wetsuit will allow you the simplicity of working on your other skills and comfort without the added hassle of learning the drysuit.

Keep asking lots of questions - there is a wealth of information available to you on this site. Also, get a mentor - ask around here, and you'll start hearing names come up over and over... dive with those people. Don't run out and buy all your gear - look at what various people are using, ask them why they use what they use, and ask to borrow and try different stuff out. There are plenty of people here with gear they'll let you borrow if you ask them to go for a dive. Take this HUGE advantage as an opportunity to get to know what you REALLY want, which isn't always what the dive shop will tell you that you want, and then go from there.

Definitely keep asking questions though... and be sure to ask "why?" a lot.
GUE Seattle - The official GUE Affiliate in the Northwest!
fmerkel
I've Got Gills

Post by fmerkel »

I've been diving with the most active and largest club in the NW for over a dozen years. We have ONE guy that is a confirmed wetsuit diver. All other divers, as indicated, either go dry or quit after awhile. Minimally they only dive in the summer. It's AMAZING what a difference a few degrees makes. 48* > 44* is quite noticeable. 44* > 42* is even MORE noticeable.

Summary-money spent on any form of a wetsuit unless you are abundantly equipped with 'bio-prene' and are a thermal generator is wasted money.
You already indicated you get cold as a newbie. Newbies spend short time in the water and generate a fair amount of heat thrashing around. As you become more proficient, you waste less energy, which means you generate less heat.
In a drysuit you have a nice long (reasonably) comfortable dive.
In a wetsuit you freeze your A$$ off.
Last edited by fmerkel on Sun Sep 13, 2009 10:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
To Air is Human,
To Respire, Divine.
Gooch
Submariner

Post by Gooch »

You can dive wet. It's just a matter of how long you want to up here. Most folks here migrate eventually to a dry suit and there are a lot of good reasons for that. I thought once I had a drysuit, I would keep my wet as a backup but I'm just kidding myself...I don't want to dive wet again in the NW. Drysuits open up a whole other level of layers of warmth...via the thermal you wear and how you layer other stuff under that. It is simply how to dive in the NW. You can certainly get along without one for a time....and its just a personal preference. Myself- I hate being cold so the drysuit was a savior for me. 'Course this was after more than a few dives wet in BC and here.
http://nwdivers.me/blog/ Original articles and dive reports from local divers in the Vancouver, WA area. Suggestions for stories or your own reports are welcome!

Kalatin
Dive-aholic

Post by Kalatin »

Sungurl,
I did 30 dives in a rented wetsuit before I bought my first used drysuit. Each and every dive, I found myself getting colder and colder as my skill set improved, my dives got longer, and my level of exertion decreased. If you are cold now, you will be a popsicle once you get comfortable in the water. Keep an eye out on Craigslist and Ebay. There are some serious bargains to be had on drysuits. I got my first one for $400 with an undergarment. Some new seals and it was good to dive. If you are patient and keep diving while the water is still toasty (by PNW standards), you should be able to pick up a good drysuit for somewhere around the price you would pay for a quality new wetsuit.
My dive buddy CaseyB also repeatedly reminds me that you should "buy it nice or buy it twice." I know he stole that line from someone, but it is really true.
Welcome to the world under the sea. Pretty fantastic, isn't it?
"Another marathon, rush hour trek to foolishly compress myself and risk bodily harm and/or death to look at fishies!!! I love it!" - Casey B.
"The circle of life is a bitch when you're hungry." - Sockmonkey
Sounder
I've Got Gills

Post by Sounder »

[quote="Kalatin"]
My dive buddy CaseyB also repeatedly reminds me that you should "buy it nice or buy it twice." I know he stole that line from someone, but it is really true./quote]

:80sdance:
GUE Seattle - The official GUE Affiliate in the Northwest!
CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Post by CaptnJack »

sungurl wrote: but does one REALLY need a dry suit for the winter around here.
Yes you'll lose alot of heat on surface intervals in winter, undressing wet in the rain or with a breeze. There's no way to rewarm except a decent shower at home. Small boat diving in a wetsuit is basically impossible, you'll be hypothermic before even getting to the dive. To div year round you pretty much need to go dry.

"semi-dry" is not dry at all, just a few extra supposed sealing surface to minimize in-water exchange. When you exit you'll still be standing outside in a bathing suit in January. Even "dry" is more like slightly damp 50% of the time (from perspiration or leaks).
Sounder wrote:Under normal circumstances, I would never tell another man how to shave his balls... but this device should not be kept secret.
Dusty2
I've Got Gills

Post by Dusty2 »

There is just no comparison. Look around and you will probably be able to find a used dry suit at a good price that will work. If you notice everyone is singing the same tune. I can't speak for everyone but most start out wet thinking I can do this but reality is wet suites are ok in the warm summer months but in winter when the the water clears up and the critters are out you will freeze your butt off trying to get out of that suit in a parking lot with the wind chill factor below freezing. Once you get cold you will stay that way no mater what you try and it can get dangerous if you get past a certain point and it is easy to get there without realizing it, believe me, I've been there! hypothermia really sucks!
eliseaboo
I've Got Gills

Post by eliseaboo »

fmerkel wrote:It's AMAZING what a difference a few degrees makes. 48* > 44* is quite noticeable. 44* > 42* is even MORE noticeable.
This is very true. Take it from someone who dives until the lake ices over, then when it's thick enough cuts a hole in it and jumps in. Wet diving in temperatures like that can be done, and it really isn't bad (really!) but you can really only do one dive. Like these guys are saying, surface intervals get too cold. If you are well-insulated, you can come out fine, dry off, and get plenty warm, but even I'll admit...coming out wet in the winter sucks (unless you are ice diving properly, and coming out to a heated ice shanty...then it's great!)

The other thing is that wetsuit diving is a lot of work. A lot of layers, a lot of lead, a lot of time. And a lot of really awful cold dives fine-tuning your layering!! I imagine that once I invest in a drysuit finally I won't want to hastle with all the neoprene anymore in colder water. Though I'd come back this winter and dive wet in the absense of a drysuit, I can't in good concience recommend that to anyone else...go dry.
trevorrowe
Extreme Diving Machine

Post by trevorrowe »

I started diving last october and I purchased a semi-dry. It worked well enough. I did not do repeat dives, much to cold for that. I also found despite my core being warm, my hands got cold and that made them hard to use. I eventually (jan-feb) bought a drysuit and have been much happier. I am still warm, but my hands don't get cold, despite diving with wet gloves. I can do repeat dives all day long and getting out of the drysuit in freezing cold weather doesn't bother me like getting out of the semi-dry did.

I would say skip the semi-dry. It will cost you more in the long run. You'd be better off with a used wetsuit, you'd be amazed how cheaply you can come by one used. If you don't plan to ever dive more than once a day, then sure you could get by with a semi-dry, but why would you want to?
Dashrynn
I've Got Gills

Post by Dashrynn »

Kalatin wrote:Sungurl,
I did 30 dives in a rented wetsuit before I bought my first used drysuit. Each and every dive, I found myself getting colder and colder as my skill set improved, my dives got longer, and my level of exertion decreased. If you are cold now, you will be a popsicle once you get comfortable in the water. Keep an eye out on Craigslist and Ebay. There are some serious bargains to be had on drysuits. I got my first one for $400 with an undergarment. Some new seals and it was good to dive. If you are patient and keep diving while the water is still toasty (by PNW standards), you should be able to pick up a good drysuit for somewhere around the price you would pay for a quality new wetsuit.
My dive buddy CaseyB also repeatedly reminds me that you should "buy it nice or buy it twice." I know he stole that line from someone, but it is really true.
Welcome to the world under the sea. Pretty fantastic, isn't it?
I can contest to this, i have a 7mm full suit with a 7mm vest and do 2 dives a day with one hour apart. Mostly my feet get cold but the coldest water I have dove in is 48f, my body would get chilled if i sat for very long looking in an octo hole or messing with crabs ( oh i lobe them crabby crabs) I plan on buying a drysuit as soon as i find a good used one on craigslist and have the funds :rawlings:
dwashbur
I've Got Gills

Post by dwashbur »

I dive with my wife and 19-year-old daughter. We all dove wet for a good 2 years before we finally switched, all of it in cold water. In fact ,we've never been in warm water; the closest we've been is Monterey. Anyway, I finally got myself a dry suit when I was working on going pro, because I knew I would need it for that. By my 10th dive in the dry suit, I was so spoiled it wasn't even funny. My wife started looking into dry suits and got hers from a private party for $400 with undergarment. We had to replace the seals and it needed a little alteration to fit her, um, "husky" ankles :tomatoe: but in the end she has the shell suit, undergarment, carry bag and all the rest for under $1000. We paid a little more for my daughter's because she had to have a custom fit, but it's well worth it.

I have to dispute the thing about boat diving wet, as well. We did it many times, both in the Sound proper and in Hood Canal. I only got cold once, but OH, BOY did I ever get cold. Warm water down the suit, hot soup, nothing helped and I had to sit the second dive out. Such things haven't happened since I went dry.

The long and short of it: be patient, watch for the right deal, ask a bazillion questions, maybe even rent a dry suit from your favorite shop once or twice on easy dives or borrow one from somebody here, as someone else said. Don't rush into a purchase, but do make it part of your overall dive gear plan. We'll all help as much as we can.
Dave

"Clearly, you weren't listening to what I'm about to say."
--
Check out my Internet show:
http://www.irvingszoo.com
sungurl
Aquaphile

Post by sungurl »

Thank you all...After reading all of the wonderful input, I think it is going to be the best way to go....I just don't tolerate being cold, and I think if I dove cold too often, it would take a lot of the enjoyment out of diving and I don't want something I'm just learning and enjoyed to become something i dread just for fear of being chilled. I'm definitely not going to rush and purchase any equipment, works out I don't have the funds to do so anyway, so I will rent or borrow as appropriate until I find the right suit and the right price.

Thanks to all for their input.......you basically confirmed what I was figuring I needed to do :) :clap:
Dusty2
I've Got Gills

Post by Dusty2 »

Talk to Wally at Tacoma scuba. He sells a ton of Bare dry suits and with the fair on he might cut you a really good deal on a new one or he just might have a good used one. They also rent dry suits. Light house does used and discount scuba does too so craigslist isn't the only option.
sungurl
Aquaphile

Post by sungurl »

Dusty2 wrote:Talk to Wally at Tacoma scuba. He sells a ton of Bare dry suits and with the fair on he might cut you a really good deal on a new one or he just might have a good used one. They also rent dry suits. Light house does used and discount scuba does too so craigslist isn't the only option.

THANKS!!! Most definitely will see what all the options are and will head in and see what they have :) Suggestions MOST appreciated :) :notworthy:
lizard0924
Submariner

Post by lizard0924 »

I've never understood the semi-dry thing. Wet is wet and around here, wet is COLD.

Go dry and don't look back. Yes it can be initially expensive, but once you factor in buying anything less and then replacing it very quickly with the inevitable drysuit (once you freeze your butt off after a few Dec/Jan dives here), a drysuit doesn't seem quite so expensive.
Liz

www.lizsundquist.com

Holy cow! I'm the Godzilla of the underworld, apparently. ~ JenBowes
I'm going to tie my spool off on your manifold and ride you like a manatee! ~ Scottsax
Lundy will forever be known as The Guy Touching Richard's Thong. ~ Spatman
sungurl
Aquaphile

Post by sungurl »

lizard0924 wrote: Wet is wet and around here, wet is COLD.
:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: Amen to that!
Pinkpadigal
I've Got Gills

Post by Pinkpadigal »

It all really depends on how much diving you plan to do. What are your goals? Here is my checklist...

1. Do you plan on diving mainly in the summer and fall?
2. Are you doing less than 12 dives a year? (less than 1 weekend day a month)
3. Are you only doing one dive at a time?

If the answer is yes, then get a well-fitting wetsuit.

As most of the people have mentioned, once you have a drysuit, then you will dive more, and more comfortably. However, your drysuit is the most expensive piece of dive gear, and the most likely to fail. It will require maintence and some TLC.

Before buying a suit, take a drysuit class, get a drysuit book and learn about what kind of suit you want, how to use them, and that will help you make an informed decision. Even a good deal on Craig's List can be an expensive mistake if you don't know what you really want. Diving several types of suits and learning how to dive safely in one can help in the process.

Talk to your instructor who has seen you dive. He/she can also help in the decision process. Good luck!
Amy Rhodes
PADI Master Instructor #183890
A-2-Z Scuba Instruction
http://www.a2zscuba.com
Jabberjaw
Dive-aholic

Post by Jabberjaw »

Congradulations on getting certified. You picked the right time of year to do it. The water is at it warmest. The temperature will drop about 10 degrees from its current temp. You will feel every 1 degree drop in temperature. Especially in a wet or semi wet suit. Go dry you won't regret it.

Greg
Got Water?
dwashbur
I've Got Gills

Post by dwashbur »

Depending on where you're located, Amy (pinkpadigal) is a good one to consult before making a purchase, as well. Yes, I'm brown-nosing a bit :neener:
Dave

"Clearly, you weren't listening to what I'm about to say."
--
Check out my Internet show:
http://www.irvingszoo.com
eliseaboo
I've Got Gills

Post by eliseaboo »

dwashbur wrote:Depending on where you're located, Amy (pinkpadigal) is a good one to consult before making a purchase, as well. Yes, I'm brown-nosing a bit :neener:
:thumbsup: :thumbsup:
sungurl
Aquaphile

Post by sungurl »

Well, it looks as if I'll mostly likely be going for a dry suit, but can't afford one right now, so in order to dive this upcoming weekend, i'mon the hunt for a semidry to test out how i like it compared to the wetsuit I used for open water class, then it will be about talking to my instructor about getting instructed in dry suits so i can test some of those out before spending the loot.....oy, why does this have to be so pricey...hard for us newbies to get dives under our belts in order to justify spending the moolah.... :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:
eliseaboo
I've Got Gills

Post by eliseaboo »

It's a big investment up front, no doubt, but totally worth it :)

While you're watching for a drysuit, I can offer this: Semi-dry suits are still wetsuits. It's all a matter of reducing water movement. Look for something with good seals to keep water exchange at a minimum, and make sure the suit fits you snugly. I personally like either a plush lining to the suit or the Gold Core linings some of the Henderson suits have, but you won't find those in many rental wetsuits. Both effectively reduce water exchange between the outside and inside of your suit. You also want to consider your layers while diving wet. Put as much neoprene between you and the water as practical to keep the heat exchange to a minimum. If you fingers get cold, you may want to eventually consider three-finger mitts (I love mine!) but they do reduce dexterity, so be sure you are comfortable with your gear enough to make the switch to mitts, in case you need to reach something, disconnect a hose, etc.

Good luck in your searches! :thumbsup:
lizard0924
Submariner

Post by lizard0924 »

You can rent a drysuit (although you'll need a drysuit certification first, I believe). I know Northwest Sport Diver rents them, as do some other shops in the Seattle area. Not sure about Tacoma.
Liz

www.lizsundquist.com

Holy cow! I'm the Godzilla of the underworld, apparently. ~ JenBowes
I'm going to tie my spool off on your manifold and ride you like a manatee! ~ Scottsax
Lundy will forever be known as The Guy Touching Richard's Thong. ~ Spatman