Great Video of an almost dreadful mistake

General banter about diving and why we love it.
Norris
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Great Video of an almost dreadful mistake

Post by Norris »

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wTQFcBIyqH8[/youtube]

dont worry, ended well
**Pinch it, don't stick your finger through. You're just pinching a bigger hole.
CAPTNJACK - 2012**
Sounder
I've Got Gills

Re: Great Video of an almost dreadful mistake

Post by Sounder »

"Ha ha - wasn't that SOOOO funny when I totally almost ran out of air?" - a quote Tom Nic and I overheard while having dinner in Bonaire... Tom promptly muzzled me.

:angry: :angry: :angry:

Yeah this is f-ing stupid, and unfortunately this kind of thing happens everyday. I wish there was a way to record all the "near misses" people have.

Please sign up for the next free gas management workshop - it'll change the way you approach dive planning and could save your life.
GUE Seattle - The official GUE Affiliate in the Northwest!
mz53480
I've Got Gills

Post by mz53480 »

Sounder wrote:"Please sign up for the next free gas management workshop - it'll change the way you approach dive planning and could save your life.
Crazy. 150'!
I may have missed the word. When is the next GM wkshop? Thanks,
MZ
...I like going to the chamber.. They have great food there, and awsome live music "H20doctor"
Check out the VIDEOS!
spatman
I've Got Gills

Post by spatman »

i just saw that video the other day, too. those two divers were extremely lucky that their asses got saved.
vbcoachchris
Dive-aholic

Post by vbcoachchris »

mz53480 wrote:
Sounder wrote:"Please sign up for the next free gas management workshop - it'll change the way you approach dive planning and could save your life.
Crazy. 150'!
MZ
Mine is in December, but Brian or Bob might have one sooner
Decompression Workshop is in October
No workshop in November (Florida Caves await me)

Scott
Sounder
I've Got Gills

Post by Sounder »

vbcoachchris wrote:
mz53480 wrote:
Crazy. 150'!
MZ
Mine is in December, but Brian or Bob might have one sooner
Decompression Workshop is in October
No workshop in November (Florida Caves await me)

Scott
:goodpost:

The class is still VERY important, but in the meantime there are two sites to read, reread, study, learn, and apply... and read again. The internet is NOT where you should learn skills, but the following two sites have solid information you can apply to your planning and diving immediately. Please post any questions you have or feel free to PM me with them - I'm always glad to help with Gas Management questions.

Lamont's site: http://www.scriptkiddie.org/diving/rockbottom.html

Bob's site: http://nwgratefuldiver.com/articles/gas.html
dwashbur
I've Got Gills

Post by dwashbur »

The video says these guys were lucky, and that's putting it mildly. There were VERY lucky an experienced diver who knew what to do was nearby, or they both would probably be dead. That guy deserves a medal, as well as the most expensive dinner in the most expensive restaurant on the island, on these two idiots, at the very least.
Dave

"Clearly, you weren't listening to what I'm about to say."
--
Check out my Internet show:
http://www.irvingszoo.com
Nwbrewer
I've Got Gills

Post by Nwbrewer »

Wow. Talk about stupid. They were just lucky that guys was there, and had the gas to get down to them at 150'. Also lucky the person who noticed them wasn't on mix.

Stupid question, but why were they still breathing on tanks that read near 0psi? I'd have my reg in their mouths at that point.
"Screw "annual" service,... I get them serviced when they break." - CaptnJack (paraphrased)

"you do realize you're supposed to mix the :koolaid: with water and drink it, not snort the powder directly from the packet, right? :smt064 " - Spatman
H20doctor
I've Got Gills

Post by H20doctor »

dude 141 feet .... and it looked like 50 feet due to the unlimited visability... Holy SH#T !!!! that was Insane .. they are lucky that guy saved there asses, and got them the hell up ... and where did the dive master GO ? Hellooooooooooooooo Dive Master ?
NWDC Rule #2 Pictures Or it didn't Happen
Sounder
I've Got Gills

Post by Sounder »

They were narced and had tunnel vision on taking pictures. Their reactions were delayed, and clearly their judgement was impaired. They had no business being down there. Unfortunately, I think this is WAY more common than we'd like to believe.
CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Post by CaptnJack »

Nwbrewer wrote:Wow. Talk about stupid. They were just lucky that guys was there, and had the gas to get down to them at 150'. Also lucky the person who noticed them wasn't on mix.
Ummm yeah good reason not to do mixed trips in the tropics. You end up with some dingbats
Nwbrewer wrote:Stupid question, but why were they still breathing on tanks that read near 0psi? I'd have my reg in their mouths at that point.
One might have had 300psi I suppose. How do you donate to 2?
Sounder wrote:Under normal circumstances, I would never tell another man how to shave his balls... but this device should not be kept secret.
Mattleycrue76
I've Got Gills

Post by Mattleycrue76 »

H20doctor wrote:dude 141 feet .... and it looked like 50 feet due to the unlimited visability... Holy SH#T !!!! that was Insane .. they are lucky that guy saved there asses, and got them the hell up ... and where did the dive master GO ? Hellooooooooooooooo Dive Master ?

It should NOT be the divemaster's or anyone elses responsibility to control others people's dive profiles or gas plan. I say should because of course in reality that ends up happening alot. If you need someone to tell you not to go to 150 fsw on an AL80 maybe it's time for a refresher course - or maybe a new hobby.
"The She-Ps didn't work for either one of us, however- we accidently glued one to Dan's cat, and the other one ended up in a DEA evidence locker somehow." - Joshua Smith
Sounder
I've Got Gills

Post by Sounder »

Mattleycrue76 wrote:
H20doctor wrote:dude 141 feet .... and it looked like 50 feet due to the unlimited visability... Holy SH#T !!!! that was Insane .. they are lucky that guy saved there asses, and got them the hell up ... and where did the dive master GO ? Hellooooooooooooooo Dive Master ?

It should NOT be the divemaster's or anyone elses responsibility to control others people's dive profiles or gas plan. I say should because of course in reality that ends up happening alot. If you need someone to tell you not to go to 150 fsw on an AL80 maybe it's time for a refresher course - or maybe a new hobby.
There are even dive masters who will tell people it's perfectly fine to do that and who will lead the dive that way. They're guides working for tips. They're not there to keep you safe, they're there to show you fish. Certified divers are supposedly proficient enough to "plan their dive, and dive their plan... and be back on the boat with 500psi" even though most of them can't tell you HOW exactly to do that.
Nwbrewer
I've Got Gills

Post by Nwbrewer »

CaptnJack wrote:
Nwbrewer wrote:Wow. Talk about stupid. They were just lucky that guys was there, and had the gas to get down to them at 150'. Also lucky the person who noticed them wasn't on mix.
Ummm yeah good reason not to do mixed trips in the tropics. You end up with some dingbats
Nwbrewer wrote:Stupid question, but why were they still breathing on tanks that read near 0psi? I'd have my reg in their mouths at that point.
One might have had 300psi I suppose. How do you donate to 2?
It said his buddy was there too, even though I never saw him on the video. Maybe the buddy bailed when he realized this guys was going to 150' on an al80 to get these guys.

I think I would have started with my reg in the face of the guy with 400psi on the ascent, and at some point switched to the other guy and let him finish off his 400psi. They didn't seem too panicked, I might have tried it.
"Screw "annual" service,... I get them serviced when they break." - CaptnJack (paraphrased)

"you do realize you're supposed to mix the :koolaid: with water and drink it, not snort the powder directly from the packet, right? :smt064 " - Spatman
CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Post by CaptnJack »

Nwbrewer wrote:It said his buddy was there too, even though I never saw him on the video. Maybe the buddy bailed when he realized this guys was going to 150' on an al80 to get these guys.

I think I would have started with my reg in the face of the guy with 400psi on the ascent, and at some point switched to the other guy and let him finish off his 400psi. They didn't seem too panicked, I might have tried it.
Yeah no idea what happened to rescuer's buddy.

I would not have given my reg to either of these numbnuts until they went OOA. Otherwise you end up with a lil bit of gas here and a lil in this other tank etc. When a tank runs dry that 2 people were breathing off its definitely going to be a CF as they both look for someone to donate. Better to use up their trival gas and then move the OOA diver to the largest source that they are least likely to exhaust.

They did seem pretty calm - and STILL not checking their gauges as they went to zero.
Sounder wrote:Under normal circumstances, I would never tell another man how to shave his balls... but this device should not be kept secret.
Gooch
Submariner

Post by Gooch »

The guys in trouble obviously had no clue; they were so calm. The did look really young- the video said one was like 12? Unreal.....I bet their computers were squawking up a storm too.
http://nwdivers.me/blog/ Original articles and dive reports from local divers in the Vancouver, WA area. Suggestions for stories or your own reports are welcome!

defied
I've Got Gills

Post by defied »

Gooch wrote:....I bet their computers were squawking up a storm too.
Did they have computers? I was only paying attention to the analog gauges they had.

D(B)
CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Post by CaptnJack »

defied wrote:
Did they have computers? I was only paying attention to the analog gauges they had.

D(B)
If you take that copper can off your head you'd be able to see around more :metal:
Mattleycrue76
I've Got Gills

Post by Mattleycrue76 »

CaptnJack wrote:
defied wrote:

D(B)
If you take that copper can off your head you'd be able to see around more :metal:
:rofl:
"The She-Ps didn't work for either one of us, however- we accidently glued one to Dan's cat, and the other one ended up in a DEA evidence locker somehow." - Joshua Smith
defied
I've Got Gills

Post by defied »

snap
H20doctor
I've Got Gills

Post by H20doctor »

Well a divemaster should be resonsible for sumthn... Looks like I'm never going on a trpoic dive without skilled divers ... I will take NWDC members only .
NWDC Rule #2 Pictures Or it didn't Happen
Gooch
Submariner

Post by Gooch »

That is a good call :) We're not just your "every-now-and-then" divers......
http://nwdivers.me/blog/ Original articles and dive reports from local divers in the Vancouver, WA area. Suggestions for stories or your own reports are welcome!

Pez7378
I've Got Gills

Post by Pez7378 »

"That video gave me chills."
Sockmonkey
I've Got Gills

Post by Sockmonkey »

Mattleycrue76 wrote:It should NOT be the divemaster's or anyone elses responsibility to control others people's dive profiles or gas plan. I say should because of course in reality that ends up happening alot. If you need someone to tell you not to go to 150 fsw on an AL80 maybe it's time for a refresher course - or maybe a new hobby.

While the two ignorant divers in the video should in fact find a new hobby... It really is the dive master's responsibility to control other people's dive plan. In fact most dive ops are quite specific about your dive profile… which is why it’s annoying if you ever want to stay down longer than they specify. How often have you been on one of these terrible warm water dive boats exactly?

Having spent a bunch of time with tropical "dive masters" of late, I'll come to their defense a little... why? Because when I'm typing it looks like I’m hard at work… and I’m bored…. And procrastinating.

First… I wouldn’t go as far as calling the folks who work on these cattle boats anything with the word “master” in it. Let’s just call them tour guides and I know a couple of really good ones here on the Big Island. The sad fact is that the majority of them are just kids without sense god gave a goose. It’s sad when you know where you are better than your tour guide. Second... a really a good reef tour guide should be able to do two things a) keep the group together b) monitor everyone’s consumption to re-plan the dive accordingly.

That said… do what I do when I’m on one of these boats without another competent diver… bring (as Bob calls his) your pal Al with you.

The real question is... if that were you... would you have gone down that deep to rescue those two?

-Eric
"I used to do this for fun, but now, I do it for nothing" -Not Joshua Smith

:eric: Hawaiian Seamonkey Blog
Dashrynn
I've Got Gills

Post by Dashrynn »

ya know what would be cool? in a group have a wireless transmitter that shows there air like red green blue or 1 2 3 and etc so the divemaster can monitor all there remaining air just by looking at his wrist, but heaven forbid if he or she mixed it up!
Last edited by Dashrynn on Tue Sep 22, 2009 5:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.