Temp of cali waters?

General banter about diving and why we love it.
Dashrynn
I've Got Gills

Temp of cali waters?

Post by Dashrynn »

anyone know the temperature of california waters? I might go diving in nov!
Gooch
Submariner

Re: Temp of cali waters?

Post by Gooch »

Looks like they are running in the mid-50's this time of year. The water was 60F at Newport, OR last weekend!

http://www.nodc.noaa.gov/dsdt/cwtg/spac.html
http://nwdivers.me/blog/ Original articles and dive reports from local divers in the Vancouver, WA area. Suggestions for stories or your own reports are welcome!

dwashbur
I've Got Gills

Post by dwashbur »

What part of California? We've only been as far south at Monterey, and the temps there were fairly comparable to around here.
Dave

"Clearly, you weren't listening to what I'm about to say."
--
Check out my Internet show:
http://www.irvingszoo.com
Dashrynn
I've Got Gills

Post by Dashrynn »

dwashbur wrote:What part of California? We've only been as far south at Monterey, and the temps there were fairly comparable to around here.
prob san diego/ la area and thanks for the info i can dive my wetsuit with no prob there =) it is showing low 60's for the area i wanna dive in nov. i was wanting to do monteray and areas but i know that in lajolla there is seals or something. i would have to start talking to divers there!
dwashbur
I've Got Gills

Post by dwashbur »

I know the temps get a lot warmer down around LA/SD. If you get to the Monterey area don't forget to hit Point Lobos at least half a dozen times, it's just about the most incredible site there. But for quickie dives, you just can't beat the breakwater. We went to about half a dozen other sites there (lived in the area for about 3 months) so gimme a holler if you need info on any of them.
Dave

"Clearly, you weren't listening to what I'm about to say."
--
Check out my Internet show:
http://www.irvingszoo.com
Tropic Thunder
Just Settling In

Post by Tropic Thunder »

Dived the channel islands last week (off the coast of Santa Barbara) and the water temp was between 65 and 68 degrees.

Also did a couple dives in Monterrey last week, temperatures dropped to 55 degrees.
Dashrynn
I've Got Gills

Post by Dashrynn »

Very informative! :smt038 thanks!! If the gf allows (shes oh so bossy) i will be diving the area so any advice you guys have for the san diego / la are dive spots and maybe know people down there that wanna dive i would be more than grateful. :thumb3d:
Grateful Diver
I've Got Gills

Post by Grateful Diver »

Ask on The Dive Matrix ... lots of Cali divers on there, including some from Sandy Eggo ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)
Threats and ultimatums are never the best answer. Public humiliation via Photoshop is always better - airsix

Come visit me at http://www.nwgratefuldiver.com/
Mattleycrue76
I've Got Gills

Post by Mattleycrue76 »

Dashrynn wrote:Very informative! :smt038 thanks!! If the gf allows (shes oh so bossy) i will be diving the area so any advice you guys have for the san diego / la are dive spots and maybe know people down there that wanna dive i would be more than grateful. :thumb3d:
Here's my advice: Tell your GF to stop bossing you around.
"The She-Ps didn't work for either one of us, however- we accidently glued one to Dan's cat, and the other one ended up in a DEA evidence locker somehow." - Joshua Smith
Dashrynn
I've Got Gills

Post by Dashrynn »

Mattleycrue76 wrote:
Dashrynn wrote:Very informative! :smt038 thanks!! If the gf allows (shes oh so bossy) i will be diving the area so any advice you guys have for the san diego / la are dive spots and maybe know people down there that wanna dive i would be more than grateful. :thumb3d:
Here's my advice: Tell your GF to stop bossing you around.
We are going to see her friends...so im staying there on her expense and her friends....sooo i kinda have to listen to her to some extent...that and she is 10 years older than me
mpenders
Submariner

Post by mpenders »

I had a couple dives at Pt. Lobos out of Monterey on 7/9/09, experienced bottom temps of 47 and 48 degrees at 69' and 53', respectively. My instabuddies (locals, who all dived wet) really admired my drysuit, especially during the SI and while we were packing up to leave - while I was comfortable in shorts and and they were wrapped up in jeans and sweatshirts.