Tiny Crab

Fish & Invertebrate sightings and descriptions, hosted by resident NWDC ID expert Janna Nichols (nwscubamom).
dwashbur
I've Got Gills

Tiny Crab

Post by dwashbur »

We saw this little guy at Redondo last night near the second reflector pile. Based on the description in Greg's book, looking at the hairs all over, the black-tipped claws and the general size - carapace between 1 and 1.5" - my ID is Cancer jordani, Hairy rock crab. How'd I do?
tinycrab.jpg
Dave

"Clearly, you weren't listening to what I'm about to say."
--
Check out my Internet show:
http://www.irvingszoo.com
sungurl
Aquaphile

Re: Tiny Crab

Post by sungurl »

Couldn't tell ya if you were right or not, but it sure is cute in a weird sort of way ;)
Greg Jensen
Amphibian

Post by Greg Jensen »

Right genus, wrong species. It's a Cancer oregonensis (pygmy rock crab), the guys you usually see hiding in giant barnacle shells.
dwashbur
I've Got Gills

Post by dwashbur »

Greg Jensen wrote:Right genus, wrong species. It's a Cancer oregonensis (pygmy rock crab), the guys you usually see hiding in giant barnacle shells.
OK, I see the difference now. Thanks for the correction. Have I mentioned lately that I'm REALLY glad you're here????? :notworthy: :salute: :thankyouyellow:
Dave

--
dphershman
Aquanaut

Post by dphershman »

dwashbur wrote:
Greg Jensen wrote:Right genus, wrong species. It's a Cancer oregonensis (pygmy rock crab), the guys you usually see hiding in giant barnacle shells.
OK, I see the difference now. Thanks for the correction. Have I mentioned lately that I'm REALLY glad you're here????? :notworthy: :salute: :thankyouyellow:

Nice find regardless! :smt038
Dan Hershman :smt024
Dashrynn
I've Got Gills

Post by Dashrynn »

dwashbur wrote:We saw this little guy at Redondo last night near the second reflector pile. Based on the description in Greg's book, looking at the hairs all over, the black-tipped claws and the general size - carapace between 1 and 1.5" - my ID is Cancer jordani, Hairy rock crab. How'd I do?
tinycrab.jpg
looks like an ugly carrot sooo i shall name him....carrot the crab
dwashbur
I've Got Gills

Post by dwashbur »

Dashrynn wrote:
dwashbur wrote:We saw this little guy at Redondo last night near the second reflector pile. Based on the description in Greg's book, looking at the hairs all over, the black-tipped claws and the general size - carapace between 1 and 1.5" - my ID is Cancer jordani, Hairy rock crab. How'd I do?
tinycrab.jpg
looks like an ugly carrot sooo i shall name him....carrot the crab
And I shall love him and pet him and call him Carrot :laughing3:
Dave

--