Getting back into diving

New to the NW Dive Club Forum? Come in and introduce yourself, the water's fine!
gutholmj
Perma Narc'd

Getting back into diving

Post by gutholmj »

Hey all. I was open water certified in So. California back in the early 90's and did quite a bit of diving the first few years but gave it up as I moved north, college, marriage, etc. My wife got certified about 5 years ago but never did any dives after that.

Two years ago we went to Cozumel and did a refresher course here before going. We're going to Cozumel again and did a couple of dives last week at Sund Rock with someone we met at the LDS. It made me realize how much I miss regular diving and how interesting the Sound is.

I definitely want to dive locally more but have decided to skip the whole getting cold thing. We are scheduled for a drysuit class next week. I sold off most of my gear over the years so I'll be looking for used gear first, trying to figure out what works for me diving the Sound. It sure seems like rentals have gotten expensive.

I have Thursdays off and live in the Olympia are so if anyone is interested in showing a noob around, I love being in the water. I like slow paced dives, exploring all the little nooks and crannies. I'm also into photography. I have a Nikonos V and Sealife DC1000.

Looking forward to getting to meet and dive with new people.

-James
"Well as much as this pains me I am gonna have to pull out" - pogiguy05
John Rawlings
I've Got Gills

Re: Getting back into diving

Post by John Rawlings »

HOLY COW! You have THURSDAYS off?????

You'll be hearing from Bassman very, very soon! Even though he doesn't know it yet, you have just made his day! He is on CONSTANT scan for anyone that can dive on Thursdays.

Welcome to NWDC!!!!

- John
“Don’t pick a fight with an old man. If he is too old to fight, he’ll just kill you.”

http://www.advanceddivermagazine.com
http://johnrawlings.smugmug.com/
defied
I've Got Gills

Post by defied »

/me puts on his "Thursday avoidance" cap, and dodges.

Welcome!

D(B)
John Rawlings
I've Got Gills

Post by John Rawlings »

gutholmj wrote: I have Thursdays off and live in the Olympia are so if anyone is interested in showing a noob around, I love being in the water. I like slow paced dives, exploring all the little nooks and crannies. I'm also into photography. I have a Nikonos V and Sealife DC1000.

Looking forward to getting to meet and dive with new people.

-James
Hey, James - check this out: http://www.nwdiveclub.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=9776
“Don’t pick a fight with an old man. If he is too old to fight, he’ll just kill you.”

http://www.advanceddivermagazine.com
http://johnrawlings.smugmug.com/
Dusty2
I've Got Gills

Post by Dusty2 »

Whenever I'm in the south sound (as opposed to being in Port Townsend)I dive during the week. Preferably day time. I am for sure the slow look at everything type and NEVER dive without a camera so Welcome and lets get together.
Jenbowes
Amphibian

Post by Jenbowes »

Welcome! There are fabuliscious people here on the NWDC, and quite a few photographers.

I'm a n00b, too, so p'rolly not your best "guide".

HOWEVER (fret not), my dive buddy is NOT a n00b, AND he's a photographer.

Ta-DAH!

So, on our Oly weekends, it would be my privilege to have you join us!

:clap:
:partyman: This is my favorite smiley!!

CAKE IS THE ONLY THING THAT MATTERS
mz53480
I've Got Gills

Post by mz53480 »

Welcome James! :bday:
I'm here in Olympia too, and the occasional weekend is good for me. Give a shout sometime.
Are you going to the club dive?

MZ
...I like going to the chamber.. They have great food there, and awsome live music "H20doctor"
Check out the VIDEOS!
Winter
Dive-aholic

Post by Winter »

Welcome to the pod! I live in Olympia and have most Thursdays off too! I'd like to start diving with new individuals, that way I can't get too comfy with as I do with my regulars. I'd like to be diving twice as much as I am now. Pm anytime you might want to splash. Looking for dive mates this weekend btw. I think the club dive might be a little too much stimulation for me.
Winter
http://www.winterdiverart.com/
Be not the slave of your own past ... plunge into the sublime seas, dive deep, and swim far, so you shall come back with self-respect, with new power, with an advanced experience, that shall explain and overlook the old.” -Ralph Waldo Emerson
gutholmj
Perma Narc'd

Post by gutholmj »

mz53480 wrote:Welcome James! :bday:
I'm here in Olympia too, and the occasional weekend is good for me. Give a shout sometime.
Are you going to the club dive?

MZ
I was considering the club dive but my wife and I are doing a drysuit class thursday. The cost of rentals is killing me so I don't think I can get away with 2 in one week. I'd really like to find some used gear ASAP. It would be great to do a dive with you and my wife might come along as well.
gutholmj
Perma Narc'd

Post by gutholmj »

Winter wrote:Welcome to the pod! I live in Olympia and have most Thursdays off too! I'd like to start diving with new individuals, that way I can't get too comfy with as I do with my regulars. I'd like to be diving twice as much as I am now. Pm anytime you might want to splash. Looking for dive mates this weekend btw. I think the club dive might be a little too much stimulation for me.
Winter
Thanks Winter, expect to hear from me.
BASSMAN
I've Got Gills

Post by BASSMAN »

Winter wrote:Welcome to the pod! I live in Olympia and have most Thursdays off too! I'd like to start diving with new individuals, that way I can't get too comfy with as I do with my regulars. I'd like to be diving twice as much as I am now. Pm anytime you might want to splash. Looking for dive mates this weekend btw. I think the club dive might be a little too much stimulation for me.
Winter
Okay how come you guys are holding out on the Thursday Dives? :tappingfoot:
Not sure where the next Thursday dive is going to be but keep an eye out on the "Dive Planning"
You two could even buddy up at Redondo or Three Tree with us. :smt064
Hi, my name is Keith, and I'm a Dive Addict! :supz:
sungurl
Aquaphile

Post by sungurl »

Welcome back to diving...I'm a noobie myself just finished my dry suit class this past thursday in order to avoid the whole getting frozen in the Sound thing......Seems that many of us have Thursdays off and I know Bassman is always game for getting folks to meet up...he's a great dive buddy and always great at showing us newbies around the Sound....and ensuring we are safe and having a great time. I hope to join up with the Thursday crowd myself more often once I get the gear situation sorted out - crazy how pricey it is.......but I can see now after having dove with different gear that it is worth it.
Hope to see you around sometime...You will find now shortages of offerings to take you out diving from this board.....its a great place to be....

Welcome once again!
gutholmj
Perma Narc'd

Post by gutholmj »

BASSMAN wrote:
Winter
Okay how come you guys are holding out on the Thursday Dives? :tappingfoot:
Not sure where the next Thursday dive is going to be but keep an eye out on the "Dive Planning"
You two could even buddy up at Redondo or Three Tree with us. :smt064
Thursday, my wife and I will be doing a drysuit class, possibly at Redondo. I've been giving her the nudge that we should take advantage of the rental gear and stick around to do an extra dive with the Thursday group. I'll keep an eye on the Dive Planning thread to see where this Thursday will be.

-James
BASSMAN
I've Got Gills

Post by BASSMAN »

gutholmj wrote: Thursday, my wife and I will be doing a drysuit class, possibly at Redondo. I've been giving her the nudge that we should take advantage of the rental gear and stick around to do an extra dive with the Thursday group. I'll keep an eye on the Dive Planning thread to see where this Thursday will be.

-James
If my wife was willing to dive, I would let her plan all of my dives. Okay well most of them.

Congrats on having a diving Wife! :mermaid: =D>

There will be plenty of "Thursday Dive" oppurtunities in your future. :bow:
Hi, my name is Keith, and I'm a Dive Addict! :supz: