Changes in PADI Courses

This forum is provided for the further edification of our club members seeking to improve their knowledge and diving skills. (recreational diving only)
Pinkpadigal
I've Got Gills

Changes in PADI Courses

Post by Pinkpadigal »

Just got my Underseas Journal today and there are a lot of changes in the basic courses. With the new instruction manual and the new teaching manual, the instructor development course has been overhauled and changed. Here are some of the changes mentioned...

Open Water Course: Skin Diving and buddy breathing totally removed. No longer listed as optional.

Rescue Diver Course: 4 Senarios changed to 2 Senarios

Divemaster Course: DM candidates are now required to have an instructor manual. DMCs are now required to teach a discover scuba (or simulaed with instructor) and DM conducted program.

Buddy Breathing is no longer a required skill for any PADI course

IDCS candidates must be EFR Instructors.

There is also a lot more detailed information about ratios, which is a change I am very happy to see :thumb3d:

Not sure how I feel about so many changes, at once, but I will be going over these in detail in the next few days to see how they are going to affect our classes.
Amy Rhodes
PADI Master Instructor #183890
A-2-Z Scuba Instruction
http://www.a2zscuba.com
HydroGirl
Avid Diver

Re: Changes in PADI Courses

Post by HydroGirl »

Thanks for the info,
When did you get your copy? I would like to see the changes on the rescue class (not sure about cutting back).
Sandra
Waynne Fowler
I've Got Gills

Post by Waynne Fowler »

HydroGirl wrote:Thanks for the info,
When did you get your copy? I would like to see the changes on the rescue class (not sure about cutting back).
remember, those changes require only that you do AT LEAST 2, not that you ONLY do 2 scenarios. :fish:
Ripper of drysuits, mocker of divers...there are no atheist divers in a mistimed Deception Pass dive. Jeremy
eliseaboo
I've Got Gills

Post by eliseaboo »

Hm. Very interesting. Interesting that you need the instructor manual for the divemaster course...I can appreciate having access to it, but I'm not sure how I feel about having to purchase it (were I to have started the course now, that is). I'd also have difficulty even finding a DS to do in WI...I don't recall ever having signed one up in either of the places I work with. And I like the skin diving part of the OW!
wallyc72
Dive-aholic

Post by wallyc72 »

I don't agree with changes to the rescue program. Making the class easier with only 2 Scenarios is dumb. Rescue class should be tough, you should learn a lot. The rescue class should not be a give me class! :angry: ( You give me money I give you a card.)
Nwbrewer
I've Got Gills

Post by Nwbrewer »

wallyc72 wrote:I don't agree with changes to the rescue program. Making the class easier with only 2 Scenarios is dumb. Rescue class should be tough, you should learn a lot. The rescue class should not be a give me class! :angry: ( You give me money I give you a card.)
You mean like so many OW classes? :angry: :angry: :angry:
"Screw "annual" service,... I get them serviced when they break." - CaptnJack (paraphrased)

"you do realize you're supposed to mix the :koolaid: with water and drink it, not snort the powder directly from the packet, right? :smt064 " - Spatman
wallyc72
Dive-aholic

Post by wallyc72 »

Ya. That seems to be the case with a few instructors out there. :shootself:
defied
I've Got Gills

Post by defied »

What are the two scenarios now?

1) Open and eat a bag of Doritos, while throwing down on some Deep Sea detectives?
2) Read Shadow Divers?

D(B)