Underwater pumpkin carving contest!

Organize buddy teams, plan shore and boat dives, organize charters... make it happen here!
Dashrynn
I've Got Gills

Underwater pumpkin carving contest!

Post by Dashrynn »

Our lds (local dive shop) is having an underwater pumpkin carving contest on the 25th time at 11 am. location... keystone (weather permitted) if you wish to participate the dive shop owner pat beach says its fine for anyone to show up (but he does have a sign up sheet at his shop).

A dive tool is the only carving tool available. Be creative! Getting that pumpkin underwater is going to be a chore!

BTW, this is whidbey island dive shop that is involved in the activities. You can look at jan's art on his smug mug page to see some older contest picture's (sorry jan for linking to your site)

http://jankocian.smugmug.com/Other/Keys ... 7PxLo-A-LB
sungurl
Aquaphile

Re: Underwater pumpkin carving contest!

Post by sungurl »

What a riot that must be to see all these divers heading into the sound with punkins.....sounds like fun, but a lot of work.....Enjoyed the pics from yesteryear....

You participating this year????
Dashrynn
I've Got Gills

Post by Dashrynn »

sungurl wrote:What a riot that must be to see all these divers heading into the sound with punkins.....sounds like fun, but a lot of work.....Enjoyed the pics from yesteryear....

You participating this year????
i will be there unless something out of the ordinary keeps me from donning my suit, I want to see what kind of smily faces i can carve with a 2 inch wide blade lol :smt065
sungurl
Aquaphile

Post by sungurl »

A couple of years back I went to a Halloween party/Pumpkin Carving party at my friends...was a blast, mind you this wasn't underwater or anything like that, but we had to carve the pumpkins using power tools, was quite hilarious.....and most fun to try to use a chainsaw and such to carve these intricate designs.....

Hope someone takes lots of pics this year...should be entertaining.....how do you depulp the pumpkin at 60 feet???? :rofl:
pensacoladiver
I've Got Gills

Post by pensacoladiver »

You don't quite get to 60 feet. Pat likes to keep everyone around 20 feet ot less. I did it last year and it was a lot of fun. There are some tricks to it, but the most important thing is to get a hole in the pumpkin as soon as possible to get the trapped air out.
Last edited by pensacoladiver on Thu Oct 15, 2009 8:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
pensacoladiver
I've Got Gills

Post by pensacoladiver »

Dashrynn wrote:
A dive tool is the only carving tool available. Be creative! Getting that pumpkin underwater is going to be a chore!
What is a dive tool. Can you post a link to where I can get one.
spatman
I've Got Gills

Post by spatman »

pensacolaracer wrote:What is a dive tool. Can you post a link to where I can get one.
Image <--the dive tool is in the red suit.
Sounder
I've Got Gills

Post by Sounder »

spatman wrote:
pensacolaracer wrote:What is a dive tool. Can you post a link to where I can get one.
Is that the best you can do? I expect more from you. :angryblue:
GUE Seattle - The official GUE Affiliate in the Northwest!
spatman
I've Got Gills

Post by spatman »

Sounder wrote:Is that the best you can do? I expect more from you. :angryblue:
i can do better, but this is a family friendly website.

tool.
Dashrynn
I've Got Gills

Post by Dashrynn »

pensacolaracer wrote:
Dashrynn wrote:
What is a dive tool. Can you post a link to where I can get one.
dive tool dive knife w.e but mines still bigger :smt032

Sockmonkey
I've Got Gills

Post by Sockmonkey »

Sounder wrote:
spatman wrote:
How about a Scuba Tool in a DUI Santa Suit?
Santa.jpg
-Eric
"I used to do this for fun, but now, I do it for nothing" -Not Joshua Smith

:eric: Hawaiian Seamonkey Blog
pogiguy05
I've Got Gills

Post by pogiguy05 »

Sockmonkey wrote:
Sounder wrote:
spatman wrote:
Santa.jpg
-Eric

I dont see where Santa's Left Hand is but from the expression on the other divers face is any hint I dont want to know. :rofl:
Jeff Castor
Dashrynn
I've Got Gills

Post by Dashrynn »

pogiguy05 wrote:
Sockmonkey wrote:
Sounder wrote:
spatman wrote:
Santa.jpg
-Eric
:roll: :laughing3: :rofl: :hah:

I dont see where Santa's Left Hand is but from the expression on the other divers face is any hint I dont want to know. :rofl:
Sockmonkey
I've Got Gills

Post by Sockmonkey »

pogiguy05 wrote: I dont see where Santa's Left Hand is but from the expression on the other divers face is any hint I dont want to know. :rofl:
In retrospect I did not mean to imply that Lynne was an elf to Sounder's Santa. I'm just say'n that Sounder fills out his big red suit in a very jolly festive yuletide way.

-Eric

Sounder
I've Got Gills

Post by Sounder »

Sockmonkey wrote:
pogiguy05 wrote: I dont see where Santa's Left Hand is but from the expression on the other divers face is any hint I dont want to know. :rofl:
In retrospect I did not mean to imply that Lynne was an elf to Sounder's Santa. I'm just say'n that Sounder fills out his big red suit in a very jolly festive yuletide way.

-Eric
Dude, how many times do I have to tell you "no?" No, you can't sit on my lap, ever. No, you can't whisper what you want in my ear... I already know what you want, which is why you're not allowed to sit on my lap. I know of the weird stuff you're into, and it's just not my thing, ok? Kissing my arse with a little photo-shop fun still isn't going to change my mind... There is no sitting on my lap, and there is no :uh: in the Champagne Room. None.
GUE Seattle - The official GUE Affiliate in the Northwest!
Sockmonkey
I've Got Gills

Post by Sockmonkey »

Sounder wrote:
Sockmonkey wrote:

-Eric
Dude, how many times do I have to tell you "no?" No, you can't sit on my lap, ever. No, you can't whisper what you want in my ear... I already know what you want, which is why you're not allowed to sit on my lap. I know of the weird stuff you're into, and it's just not my thing, ok? Kissing my arse with a little photo-shop fun still isn't going to change my mind... There is no sitting on my lap, and there is no :uh: in the Champagne Room. None.
Since when is "No Doug... your santa drysuit doesn't make your ass look fat... your big ass makes your ass look fat" constitute kissing your arse?

And you say one thing on nwdc... but all those dollars you put in my hanes speak volumes.

-Eric

sungurl
Aquaphile

Post by sungurl »

:rofl: :popcorn:
I sooo needed all this banter on my Friday afternoon - makes for wonderful entertainment
Dashrynn
I've Got Gills

this is the official letter for the contest

Post by Dashrynn »

Hey all you Divers!

Once again, it's time for Whidbey Island Dive Center's Annual Underwater Pumpkin Carving contest!

Plan to join all of us at Whidbey Island Dive Center and have some fun! Come meet some new Divers and reacquaint yourself with other fellow Divers you've probably not seen in awhile! (That means you, Kit!)

When: October 25th, 2009
Where: Keystone Underwater Park.
Stage Time: 0930
Splash Time: 1030

What to bring:
* Dive Knife - Contest entrants need to use a dive knife, not some fancy schmancy Pumpkin carving tool.
* Dive Gear - We need you to be able to breathe underwater, remember, this is a Underwater Carving contest.
* A dish to share if you would like.
* Bring your non-diving friends and family to share in the fun!
* Don’t forget your pumpkin!
There are hot showers at this dive site, so bring your quarters. There's plenty of parking and picnic tables, so plan to stay awhile!

If you need any driving directions or more information, please feel free to call us at the number below.

Whidbey Island Dive Center
360-675-1112

What? You need a new dive knife? Want to make sure your gear is in working order? Want to rent gear? Need Air? Need a game bag for your Winning Pumpkin?

Just come on in and see us for all your diving needs at:

Whidbey Island Dive Center
1020 NE 7th Ave, Suite #1
Oak Harbor, WA

We're behind the Northern 7-11 next to Taco Bell.

We'll be glad to help you out and answer any questions you might have!

On behalf of Pat Beach, the staff and friends of Whidbey Island Dive Center,

Hope to see you on October 25th! Thank you!
pensacoladiver
I've Got Gills

Post by pensacoladiver »

Are you working at WIDC now? Your post leads me to believe so. I'm no lawyer and I don't even play one on TV but you may be skirting awfully close to the edges of the TOS of this site, if not crossing them. Might just want to check.
Dashrynn
I've Got Gills

Post by Dashrynn »

pensacolaracer wrote:Are you working at WIDC now? Your post leads me to believe so. I'm no lawyer and I don't even play one on TV but you may be skirting awfully close to the edges of the TOS of this site, if not crossing them. Might just want to check.
its not a paid event, but i suppose it can be missread as so. Theres hardly any divers on the island who actually go diving, so i thought i could try and get some more people to come to these fun events.

Its hard finding any steady divers to go diving with on the island......